London (AFP) – French defender Wesley Fofana has signed a new five-year contract with Leicester, the Premier League club announced on Monday.
The 21-year-old has not played a single game this season after breaking his leg and suffering ankle ligament damage during a pre-season friendly last year.
But as Fofana nears a return to action, the Foxes have rewarded the centre-back for an impressive first campaign at the club following his £30 million ($39 million) move from St Etienne in 2020.
Fofana made 38 appearances in all competitions for Brendan Rodgers’ men last season, including their FA Cup final victory over Chelsea at Wembley.
“I’m really happy to sign a new contract,” the France under-21 international told LCFC TV. “It shows the club have confidence in me offering me a contract to 2027.
“I’m really happy to be here. It’s my club, I love the fans, so I’m really happy and really looking forward to being back playing.”
Fofana returned to training last month and reports suggest he could be involved in the squad for Thursday’s Europa Conference League last-16 first-leg match against Rennes at the King Power Stadium.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season