Berlin (AFP) – Bayer Leverkusen suffered a blow on Wednesday as their captain Lars Bender is expected to be sidelined for the next three weeks with a groin injury.
The Germany defender limped out of Tuesday’s 4-2 German Cup win at home to Werder Bremen and a scan has revealed a torn groin.
Leverkusen are second only to runaway leaders Bayern Munich in Germany’s top flight after losing just once in their last 19 games in all competitions.
The 28-year-old, who made the last of his 19 appearances for Germany in 2014, has played in 15 of Leverkusen’s 21 league games this season.
The right-back has been the cornerstone of Bayer’s defence.
At the end of January, Bender extended his Leverkusen contract until 2021, but is now set to miss their forth-coming league games against Hertha Berlin, Hamburg and Schalke 04.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo