London (AFP) – Lewis Grabban returned to haunt Norwich as the Sunderland striker’s double inspired a 3-1 win over his former club in the Championship on Sunday.
Grabban, on loan from Bournemouth, scored twice either side of a superb effort from Aiden McGeady to help Simon Grayson’s side secure their first league victory following last season’s relegation from the Premier League.
Grabban, who played for Norwich from 2014 to 2016, also scored an own goal in the closing stages, but that miscue came too late to deny Sunderland their first league win in the month of August since 2009.
Sunderland took the lead in the 27th minute when a high ball was flicked on by James Vaughan and Grabban shrugged off the attentions of Christophe Zimmerman before calmly slotting the ball past Angus Gunn.
The Black Cats doubled their lead on the hour thanks to McGeady’s imperious effort.
The former Celtic winger was lurking on the edge of the box when a corner was only half cleared and, after being picked out by Lee Cattermole, he fired in a superb first-time effort with his left boot to give Gunn no chance.
Sunderland made it three on 71 minutes when McGeady beat his man on the left before whipping in a gorgeous cross to the back post for Grabban to head home.
Norwich pulled one back six minutes later when, trying to hook the ball clear in the six-yard box, Grabban instead diverted the ball into his own net.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo