London (AFP) – Christian Eriksen scored two and made one as Tottenham got back on track with a 3-0 Premier League victory over struggling Hull on Wednesday.

Eriksen netted from close range either side of half-time before Victor Wanyama converted after the Danish midfielder’s free kick had come back off the bar.

That made it four straight wins at home for Mauricio Pochettino’s fifth placed side as they made light of some bumpy periods to remain firmly in the hunt for a top four finish.

Pochettino had sprang a surprise by playing Eric Dier as part of a 3-3-3-1 formation and Tottenham threatened early on when Dele Alli saw an effort blocked, while Moussa Sissoko, in for the injured Mousa Dembele, missed the target with another shot.

Hull had struggled to get going early on with the hosts eventually capitalising with a 30-pass move leading to Eriksen powering home into the roof of the net following a fine run by Danny Rose down the left.

Within moments Alli went close to a second as his powerful shot from 20 yards was well saved by David Marshall, while Eriksen then powered over after his initial free kick had hit the wall.

Hull went close with a rare attack by Jake Livermore before Alli could not reach a Harry Kane cross for Spurs.

Eventually though, the Tigers found a way into the match as Hugo Lloris did well to push away a Andrew Robertson cross.

Tottenham had appeals for a penalty waved away despite claims Curtis Davies had handled in the area from Eriksen’s shot but moments later Marshall saved well to foil Alli.

– On edge –

Jan Vertonghen then came close to a stunning goal but after beating several players the centre back lost his footing in the area.

But the hosts’ lack of composure was threatening to hand Hull a way back in as Kane could not convert an Alli cross, before Wanyama’s poor shot from the edge of the area was straight at Marshall.

Pochettino appeared to be frustrated on the bench and the home fans were similarly on edge.

It was Hull who came close to an equaliser moments after Eriksen appeared to have been fouled by Robertson in the area.

Referee Andre Marriner waved play on and Hull broke to find Livermore in a promising position but the former Tottenham midfielder missed the target.

Hull, who remain in the bottom three, appeared to be doing all they could to avoid a sixth straight defeat on the road. 

But moments after Tottenham had replaced Alli with youngster Harry Winks, the hosts did get their killer second.

It was the work of Kyle Walker down the right as he laid it on a plate for Eriksen, who couldn’t miss from a yard out on 64 minutes for his fifth goal in his last four league matches.

Eriksen was unfortunate not to get a hat-trick when his free kick from 20 yards hit the bar nine minutes later but Wanyama converted from close range to make it three.

Eriksen went close again with a shot shortly afterwards while Winks also could have added an overly flattering reflection to the scoreline when his late effort was drilled wide.