Round 2 of the Carling Cup kicked off today and several EPL teams were in action. Blackpool were dumped out courtesy of MK Dons while eight EPL squads advanced to the third round. Here’s a recap of Tuesday’s Cup action.

MK Dons 4, Blackpool 3

A 110th minute goal by Lewis Guy gave League One side MK Dons an upset victory over Blackpool.

Sam Baldock put the hosts ahead in just the first minute. Brett Ormerod eqaulized for the Tangerines, who were without manager Ian Holloway, seven minutes after half time but MK Dons were up by two just five minutes later courtesy of a pair of goals from Jermaine Easter. Ludovic Sylvestre scored for Blackpool just a minute later to cap an eventful six minutes which saw four goals.

Blackpool were even after Charlie Adam’s penalty kick in the 82nd minute but Guy’s late winner secured advancement for MK Dons. It’s a disapointing result for Blackpool, who were looking to rebound after a 6-0 loss to Arsenal over the weekend.

Blackburn 3, Norwich 1

Senegalese international Mame Biram Diouf celebrated his first start for Blackburn with a hat trick against Championship side Norwich City.

Diouf, on a season-long loan from Manchester United, scored the opener on the half-hour mark with a header off of Christopher Samba’s flick on. Blackburn continued to dominate the game but couldn’t find an insurance goal until Diouf’s 80th-minute rebound put the game beyond doubt. The 22-year-old completed his hat trick four minutes later with a point-blank header. Berthal Askou’s ruined Blackburn’s clean sheet in the 90th minute but it served as little more than a consolation.

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2, Southend United 1

A last-gasp winner deep into extra time by Richard Stearman saved Wolves an embarrassing defeat to League Two side Southend United.

Nenad Milijas put the hosts ahead in the 27th minute with a penalty kick after Sam Winnall was taken down inside the box. Wolves looked to be on cruise control before the Shrimpers equalized in the 80th minute. Craig Easton’s low header beat Wayne Hennessey to force extra time.

After nearly 30 minutes of extra time Stearman’s managed to direct Ronald Zubar’s cross across the line to give Wolves the victory.

Stoke City 2, Shrewsbury Town 1

Two first-half goals from Jon Walters and Tuncay Sanli secured Stoke City a third-round birth in the Carling Cup.

Walter’s goal, his first ever for Stoke, came in the 26th minute when his glancing header beat Shrewsbury keeper Chris Neal. Sanli’s header 11 minutes later put the game out of reach for the League Two side before half time.

Steven Leslie’s 79th minute was little more than a consolation for Shrewsbury.

Sunderland 2, Colchester United 0

A brace by Darren Bent secured easy advancement for Sunderland in a comfortable victory over Colchester United.

Both of Bent’s goals came in the first half and were made possible by gaffes from Colchester goalkeeper Mark Cousins. Cousins misjudged a long ball from Boudewijn Zenden and allowed Bent an easy header into a gaping net. Eighteen minutes later, a similar error gave Bent his second.

It’s now three goals in three games for the English striker, who scored 25 goals last season.

Wigan 3, Hartlepool 0

Wigan sucesfully rebounded from a woeful Premier League start to dispatch Hartleepool United.

An own goal by Sam Collins gave Wigan the early lead while second-half strikes from Garcia-Penche Jordi Gomez and Victor Moses gave Wigan some insurance. Roberto Martinez is looking to inject some morale into a side who have yet to score in league play while conceding 10 goals of their own.

Ali Al Habsi pulled off several fantastic save to preserve Wigan’s lead in the first half, which came by way of an unlucky deflection off Collins in the third minute. Gomez doubled the lead with a fantastic free kick which deflected in off the underside of the crossbar. Substitute Moses completed the victory with a simple strike from just outside the box.

Southampton 0, Bolton 1

Bolton remain unbeaten this season after a narrow win over League One side Southampton booked their place in the third round.

Ivan Klasnic’s lone strike just after the half-hour mark was enough for Bolton, who were outshot 16 to four. Adam Bogdan made his debut for Owen Coyle between the posts and was tested early and often. A string of fine saves kept the visitors in front until the final whistle.

West Ham United 1, Oxford United 0

Scott Parker rescued West Ham from yet another embarassment with a stoppage-time winner against Oxford United.

Avrahm Grant’s men have been struggling in league play, having recieved zero points from two games so far, and elimination at the hands of a League Two side would have been devestating. Oxford were organized and stubborn in defense throughout much of the match. It took a well-placed cross from Frederic Piquionn and a smashing finish from Parker to advance West Ham to the third round.

Leyton Orient 0, West Bromwich Albion 2

West Brom advanced to the third round of the Carling Cup despite fielding a weakened side in anticipation of an Anfield trip this weekend.

A first-half goal by Pablo Ibanez put the visitors up early while a stoppage time strike from Chris Woods put the result beyond all doubt.