Brussels (AFP) – The Belgian league clash between Charleroi and Standard Liege was abandoned on Sunday after firecrackers and cigarette lighters were thrown by fans of the bitter rivals.
Standard were leading 3-1 when the game was called off in the 67th minute, having already been halted twice.
Lighters and firecrackers were thrown at Charleroi goalkeeper Nicolas Penneteau, which led to Standard’s coach and players making a public appeal for calm via the stadium speakers.
Then, Standard goalkeeper Guillaume Hubert was targeted by a beer glass and flare leading to the game being called off.
On Saturday, the French top-flight clash between Metz and Lyon was also halted when Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was hit by a firecracker.
The match was abandoned after just 31 minutes with Portuguese international Lopes requiring hospital treatment for damaged hearing.
Metz, leading 1-0 when play was halted, face the risk of heavy sanctions which could include forfeiting the match and Lyon being awarded the win.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $10.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $14.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo