It seems as if Leeds United could be set for a new majority owner, an American group.

Currently, Aser Ventures, led by Andrea Radrizzani, owns 56% of the West Yorkshire club. American business group 49ers Enterprises hold the remaining 44% of shares.

The Times, however, reports 49ers Enterprises is making the necessary moves for a full takeover at Leeds. The Americans previously purchased the minority stake in the club in 2018. 49ers Enterprises is essentially the business arm of the National Football League’s San Francisco 49ers. Denise DeBartolo York, Jed York, and John York co-own the group.

Prior to the 49ers group coming on board, Radrizzani had 100% ownership of Leeds. Along with the team, Radrizzani also purchased the historic Elland Road stadium. The Italian businessman is currently the chairman and founder of the broadcasting group Eleven Sports as well.

49ers Enterprises does have an agreement in place with Radrizzani to completely take over Leeds in January of 2024. However, the Americans appear set to speed up this process.

The aforementioned report claims that there has been significant movement within the organization to complete the takeover. The sale by Radrizzani depends on Leeds’s Premier League survival. Final standings in the table heavily affect the final purchase price.

The 49ers group could very make their move once the current campaign ends.

American ownership of Leeds United

Radrizzani previously hinted at the potential takeover by his American partners. “I dream to bring this club to play in Europe and then I’m happy to leave — so still some work to do here,” Radrizzani told The Athletic.

“We are very good friends with the 49ers, they are a solid partner, they let you work in peace and they are supportive. They have, as you know, an option to take a majority in 2024. Maybe before or at that moment, something will be discussed.”

Leeds are currently 12th in the Premier League table. The Whites were previously near the relegation zone before winning two consecutive league matches. American head coach Jesse Marsch endured a rollercoaster of a season. A third of the way through the season, Leeds suffered embarrassing defeats and incredible victories.