Abuja (AFP) – Nigerian international goalkeeper Carl Ikeme felt able to crack a joke on transfer deadline day in England despite lying in hospital being treated for acute leukaemia.
The 31-year-old — who plays for second tier English side Wolverhampton Wanderers — tweeted a picture of himself from hospital where he has been receiving treatment since last month.
“BREAKING NEWS. Ikeme transfers from one room to another! Medical under way,” tweeted Ikeme, who affixed a picture of himself lying back on his bed with his thumb raised.
The England-born goalkeeper — capped 10 times — returned “abnormal blood tests” during pre-season testing and further checks confirmed the diagnosis that he had leukaemia.
Wolves have retained Ikeme in their number one shirt this season and fans, players and oppositions are paying tribute to him at regular intervals.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $5.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo