NBC Sports’ presentation of the longest Premier League season ever – spanning 352 days due to the coronavirus pandemic – concluded this past Sunday, July 26 as the most-watched Premier League season in four years, according to official national data provided by Nielsen and digital data from Adobe Analytics.
NBC Sports Group averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 462,000 viewers per match window for the 2019-20 season – marking the highest average Premier League viewership since 2015-16, and up 1% from last year (457,000) (does not include Spanish-language telecasts or NBC Sports Gold/Peacock streaming). Prior to the shutdown in mid-March, viewership was pacing 4% ahead of last season.
For the seventh consecutive year, all 10 Premier League matches on the season’s final Sunday were presented live, simultaneously (11 a.m.-1 p.m. ET) across the platforms of NBCUniversal, highlighted by games that determined a pair of Champions League berths and the relegation of two clubs.
The five Championship Sunday matches on television registered a combined Total Audience Delivery of 1.7 million viewers (does not include the five matches streamed on NBC Sports Gold/Peacock).
Premier League Viewership Highlights
• Manchester United’s 2-0 win over Manchester City on Sunday, March 8 posted a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) average of 1.76 million viewers across all platforms – NBC, NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, and Telemundo – to rank as the most-watched live Premier League match in U.S. history.
• NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app delivered 925.3 million live streaming minutes – the most all time – during the 2019-20 season. In addition, four of the 10 most-streamed Premier League matches of all time in the U.S. took place in 2019-20.
• NBCSN registered a Total Audience Delivery average of 1.01 million viewers for the Aug. 11 Manchester United-Chelsea match – ranking as the most-watched opening weekend Premier League cable match ever in the U.S. and the most-watched cable match in four years.
• New Year’s Day Premier League coverage set viewership milestones on NBCSN as Arsenal-Manchester United became NBCSN’s most-watched weekday match ever (721,000 viewers). NBCSN also delivered the most-watched New Year’s Day Premier League coverage ever, averaging 492,000 viewers across four matches.
• NBCSN’s weekday afternoon matches during the Premier League’s Project Restart averaged 315,000 viewers – up 32% from weekday matches this season prior to the March shutdown (239,000), and 45% above the full 2018-19 season weekday afternoon average. In addition, since June 17, NBCSN televised four of the six most-watched weekday Premier League matches since 2014 (excluding holidays).
• Premier League highlights on NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports app, and the NBC Sports channel on YouTube, and NBC Sports Soccer content across Twitter, Instagram and Facebook this season generated more than 200 million views – doubling last season’s total. In addition, downloads of The 2 Robbies podcast in 2020 increased 57% from last year, and from July 20-26, NBC Sports’ Pro Soccer Talk delivered its highest weekly traffic in four years.
• Since kicking off its Premier League coverage in August 2013, NBC Sports Group has televised 18 of the 20 most-watched live Premier League matches ever in the U.S. across all platforms.
Local TV Ratings
Following are the U.S. TV markets with the highest average season-long ratings on Premier League telecasts on NBC/NBCSN, and NBC only (note: all NBC games, other than on “Championship Sunday,” started at 12:30 pm ET/9:30 am PT or later, while some NBCSN games kicked off as early as 7 am ET/4 am PT):
Top 15 Local Market Ratings, NBC/NBCSN
1. Washington, D.C.
6. New York
8. San Francisco
10. San Diego
13. West Palm Beach
14. Las Vegas
15. Fort Myers
Top 15 Local Market Ratings, NBC only
2. West Palm Beach
5. New Orleans
6. Washington, D.C.
7. Fort Myers
9. Las Vegas
12. San Francisco
14. St. Louis
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo