A 15-year-old girl was injured during a Carabao Cup match between Manchester City and Liverpool on Thursday. The young fan was reportedly treated at the Etihad Stadium in Manchester with a head injury.

Area police are investigating the issue and have also made additional arrests. One man was arrested for a separate racially charged incident at the stadium. Two other fans were apprehended after bringing fireworks into the arena as well.

Police reviewing video and assessing the incident

Greater Manchester Police match commander, Supt Gareth Parkin, issued a statement on the mess. “We are aware of a number of objects, including coins and a smoke bomb, that were thrown during the match,” said Parkin. “We will be investigating the incidents and reviewing CCTV from the night.”

“Clearly throwing objects in a confined area can be dangerous, and have serious and sometimes devastating consequences.”

City and Liverpool disappointed by events

The two clubs have released a joint statement regarding the problems at last night’s game. “Manchester City FC, Liverpool FC and the Chairs from our supporter groups have worked together in recent weeks to remind fans of our expectations and both clubs would like to thank the vast majority of fans for their behavior at last night’s Carabao Cup match at the Etihad Stadium,” read the statement.

“It is however hugely disappointing that there were a number of incidents during last night’s match that are wholly unacceptable. These incidents will be fully investigated, reported to the police and the individuals who are found to be responsible will be subject to the sanction process of their respective club.”

As the joint statement claimed, the two clubs previously scheduled a meeting to settle tensions. There have been multiple incidents involving fans during matches between the clubs in recent years. Thursday’s problems unfortunately mare an excellent game on the field. City eventually won the match 3-2 and advanced to the Carabao Cup quarterfinals.