Milan (AFP) – Napoli goalkeeper David Ospina has been discharged from hospital and is recovering from his frightening collapse after a knock to the head at the weekend, the Serie A club announced on Monday.
The 30-year-old, who is on loan from Arsenal, will miss Colombia’s international friendlies against Japan on March 22 and South Korea four days later after suddenly falling to the ground 41 minutes after receiving treatment following his collision with Ignacio Pussetto during Sunday’s 4-2 win over Udinese.
“David Ospina was discharged this afternoon from the Pineta Grande Clinic where he had been admitted last night for a series of checks,” Napoli wrote in a statement.
“Checks have ruled out any problem. The player was advised to take a few days of rest and will not respond to his call-up for the national team.”
Ospina’s wife Jesica Sterling said on Instagram that Ospina “was much better” at home, “waiting for the shock to completely subside”.
Napoli, meanwhile, are reported to have ordered an investigation into decisions taken by medics, who allowed Ospina to continue playing, and transferred him initially to the nearby San Paolo hospital where there is no neurosurgery department.
Ospina suffered “a hypotensive crisis resulting from a head injury,” Napoli had said on Sunday, which is a sudden fall in blood pressure which can cause dizziness and fainting.
Ospina played for six years with French club Nice before joining Arsenal in 2014. He arrived at Napoli last August on a one-year loan with an option to buy.
He has played 14 league games for Serie A runners-up Napoli including Sunday’s 4-2 win over Udinese.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Women’s World Cup, Euro 2024 & Gold Cup
The New Home of MLS
- Price: $14.99/mo. for MLS Season Pass
- Watch every MLS game including playoffs & Leagues Cup
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & FA Cup
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & Brasileirāo
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season