The Hague (AFP) – Ajax said on Monday they will pay 7.85 million euros ($8.91 million) to the family of former player Abdelhak Nouri, who suffered brain damage after a cardiac arrest during a friendly match more than four years ago.
Ex-Netherlands youth team midfielder Nouri, now 24, collapsed during a pre-season fixture with Werder Bremen in July 2017.
“It is good that an agreement has been reached, so that we can close this issue. We all realise that the suffering for Abdelhak and his loved ones is not over. It remains a very sad situation, that’s how we feel here at Ajax, too,” the Dutch side’s chief executive Edwin van der Sar said.
“We greatly appreciate the way in which Abdelhak’s family cares for him day and night with a lot of love and attention.
“When I visit him, I am always welcomed with open arms by the family. That also applies to other Ajax colleagues and we greatly appreciate that.”
In 2018, Ajax agreed to pay for medical care for life for the player who has permanent, debilitating brain damage and will never again be able to live independently.
His family filed a suit against the club and it was determined that the player had received inadequate care after his collapse that was triggered by heart problems.
“This summer it will be five years since Abdelhak was struck by a terrible fate. The past few years have been dominated by his care,” Nouri’s father Mohammed said in Ajax’s statement.
“It is good that the discussion about liability and its consequences is a thing of the past and that we can look forward together.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Vinícius and Foden should be in the ‘best young talent’ talk
- US Soccer releases report detailing abusive behavior in NWSL
- Book review of ‘How to Win the World Cup’ by Chris Evans
- Manchester United defeat highlights Ten Hag’s need for rotation
- 5 must-see Champions League games in matchday three
- Where to find Leicester City vs. Nottingham Forest on US TV
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV