Major League Soccer’s 2019 final between Seattle and Toronto averaged 1.27 million viewers across ABC, Univision and TUDN combined, according to Nielsen fast nationals.
Overall, the 2019 MLS Cup Final viewing number on ABC (823,000) is a significant disappointment considering that last year’s Final aired on the free-to-air FOX network, which averaged 1.56 million viewers for Atlanta United-Portland.
Sunday’s final was the first time in more than 10 years that the MLS Cup Final was televised on ABC, a free-to-air network that aired the most-watched MLS Cup Final of all time with 2.2 million viewers in 1997.
On Spanish-language television, the Seattle-Toronto final averaged 447,000 viewers across Univision and TUDN combined. It’s the top rated MLS Cup Final on Univision Networks since 2016 match featuring Seattle Sounders-Toronto FC on UniMas. In all, the game delivered a 100% viewership increase over 2018 MLS Cup Final on UniMas.
Given how disappointing the 2019 regular season and MLS Cup Final numbers were, Major League Soccer will be hoping that 2020 can see a TV ratings boost with expansion cities Nashville and Miami joining the league.
Major League Soccer’s TV contract with ESPN, FOX and Univision ends at the close of the 2022 season.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ