Sheffield United advanced to the fifth round of the FA Cup after beating Wrexham, 3-1, at Bramall Lane on Tuesday. The match was a replay following a thrilling 3-3 draw last week.

The hosts dominated play in the early parts of the opening period. Wrexham nearly gave away a sure goal in the 29th minute after a terrible pass led to the hosts going on a two-man break. James McAtee collected the ball in his own half and ran free towards the Wrexham goal with a teammate by his side. Despite the massive goalscoring chance, the midfielder put the shot wide of the post to let the visitors off of the hook.

Sheffield Untied had another big chance about five minutes later. Anel Ahmedhodžić found himself with the ball at his feet just a few yards from goal. However, he put in a shot directly at Wrexham goalkeeper Rob Lainton who made the save. The hosts finished the first half with 17 total shots, yet did not put one passed Lainton.

Sheffield finds breakthrough against Wrexham in FA Cup

While the hosts misfired most of the opening period, they opened the scoring less than five minutes into the second half. Ahmedhodžić put Sheffield United ahead in the 50th minute after a quality finish from a tight angle. The defender made a nice run into the box and smashed a forceful shot above Lainton and in the net.

Multiple penalties awarded to Wrexham

Wrexham, however, earned a penalty just seven minutes later. Star striker Paul Mullin was dragged down at the edge of the box by the aforementioned Ahmedhodžić. While Mullin may have gone down somewhat dramatically, the Sheffield United defender certainly pulled on the player’s shirt.

Mullin converted the penalty shot emphatically into the roof of the net. The center forward went for power or pace to score his 28th total goal of the current campaign and level the scoreline.

Wrexham would get another penalty shot in the 71st minute of the match. Substitute Oliver Norwood brought down Mullin inside the box with a poorly timed tackle. However, Mullin would step up and have his shot saved by Adam Davies. The striker went for power yet again, but the second shot was at a perfect height for Davies to make the save. Mullin would need to to be replaced later because of a minor leg injury.

Added time goals sink Wrexham again

Billy Sharp scored in the 94th minute to give Sheffield United the lead with only a few minutes remaining on the clock. A major defensive mistake let the ball roll to a wide open Sharp running at goal. The club captain slotted past a diving Lainton.

Sander Berge then sealed the deal for the hosts with a goal less than two minutes later. Much like the first meeting between these two sides, goals in added time would decide the match. Sheffield United will now host Tottenham Hotspur in the fifth round of the FA Cup on March 1.

PHOTO: IMAGO / Sportimage