Lionel Messi scored, provided three assists and missed a penalty as Barcelona pressed home their advantage at the top of La Liga with a 6-0 thrashing of Getafe on Saturday.
Juan Rodriguez’s own goal opened the scoring before Messi saw his penalty saved by Vicente Guaita, teed up Munir El Haddadi and Neymar and smashed home his 36th goal of the season all before half-time.
Neymar and Arda Turan rounded off the scoring to seal Barca’s 12th straight La Liga win after the break.
A 37th consecutive game without defeat opens up an 11-point lead on second-placed Atletico, who host Deportivo la Coruna later on Saturday.
Real Madrid are now 15 points adrift of Barca in third ahead of their trip to Las Palmas on Sunday.
An eighth defeat in nine games leaves Getafe just a point above the relegation zone.
— beIN SPORTS USA (@beINSPORTSUSA) March 12, 2016
“This is a unique team, different to the rest and which does things that make it seem like there is nothing the opponent can do,” said Barca boss Luis Enrique.
“It is a great pleasure to be in this position.”
The European champions weren’t even at full strength as Enrique left Luis Suarez on the bench ahead of Barca’s return to Champions League action against Arsenal on Wednesday.
Yet, the hosts still only took seven minutes to break the deadlock as Jordi Alba’s driven cross towards Messi was scooped into the far corner of his own net by Rodriguez.
Barca’s one fallibility this season was exposed moments later when Neymar was chopped down by Emiliano Velazquez inside the area.
Messi took responsibility, but for the ninth time in 20 spot-kicks Barca failed to convert, as Guaita dived to his left to turn the five-time World Player of the Year’s effort to safety.
Guaita’s intervention kept Getafe in the game for just a further nine minutes as Messi directed Andres Iniesta’s through ball onto El Haddadi’s head for the second.
Gerard Pique then hit the bar as Getafe failed to contain the waves of Barca attacks.
Neymar’s display had been under scrutiny after he took advantage of being suspended for last weekend’s 4-0 win at Eibar to fly back to Brazil to celebrate his sister’s birthday.
Yet, the break seemed to do the 24-year-old good as he raced onto a brilliant Messi pass to slot home his first goal in four games.
Messi then took out his frustration at not netting from the spot to rifle home the fourth from outside the box five minutes before half-time.
The pattern continued after the break with Messi in generous mood with another clinical through ball for Neymar to sweep home his 25th goal of the season.
And Turan added a sixth just before the hour mark with an acrobatic overhead kick which left Guaita flatfooted.
Iniesta was rested for the final half hour ahead of Arsenal’s trip to the Camp Nou, despite Barca holding a commanding 2-0 first-leg lead.
Yet, Suarez didn’t get the chance to further his case in the battle with Cristiano Ronaldo to be La Liga’s top scorer as he remained on the bench for the full 90 minutes.
Special Introductory Offer
- Starting price: $10/mo. for Sling Orange+Blue
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & Olympics
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more