Connect with us

CBS Sports

Paramount+ acquires Scottish Premiership rights

Paramount+ acquires Scottish Premiership rights

In a bit of recent news, Paramount+ acquires Scottish Premiership rights through the 2024/25 season. The first games under the new deal begin Saturday, July 31, according to World Soccer Talk sources. Select matches will be available via CBS Sports Network and Paramount+, the streaming service that’s in a tug of war with ESPN+ to acquire as many soccer rights as possible for viewers in the United States.

The majority of select matches aired will be streamed on Paramount+. In addition to the Scottish Premiership, CBS Sports have picked up the rights to the Scottish Championship and Scottish League Cup (also known as the Premier Sports Cup). Those games will air on Paramount+ too.

CBS Sports and Paramount+ continue to expand their arsenal of soccer rights. With more than 2,000 live matches airing per season, Paramount+ also has acquired rights to Serie A (debuting August 21), UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Europa Conference League, NWSL, Argentine league, Brasileirao, Concacaf Nations League, Concacaf World Cup qualifiers, Coppa Italia and Supercoppa Italiana, The Women’s Cup, Asian World Cup qualifiers, AFC Champions League, AFC Women’s Asian Cup 2022, AFC Asian Cup China 2023, and, beginning in 2022, the Supercopa Argentina (English-language).

According to our sources, CBS Sports are interested in acquiring more soccer rights in the next six months as it continues to build out a wealth of soccer programming in addition to its hit TV shows, movies and original programming.

In the streaming wars, Paramount+ is competing against giants Disney+, Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+ and others in a race to acquire new subscribers.

Already this year, ESPN+ has acquired the exclusive rights to LaLiga in a deal where ESPN reportedly paid $1.4 billion for the games through the 2028/2029 season.

For fans of Scottish football, the rights to the Scottish Premiership have bounced around more than any other league in the last decade. Moving to Paramount+ this season was preceded by one year of matches on ESPN+ for the 2020/21 season. Prior to that, B/R Live had the rights for the 2019/20 season. There have been seasons where the league wasn’t available via a broadcaster, but was only available via club TV channels. FOX Sports also had the rights to the league for a short time.

SEE MORE: Schedule of Scottish Premiership games on US TV and streaming

The Scottish Premiership is one of the oldest and most-storied leagues in football, and features one of the most intense rivalries in any sport – the “Old Firm” rivalry between Celtic F.C. and Rangers F.C. The first competitive derby between the two was in 1888, two years before the launch of the Scottish League in 1890. Every Old Firm game will air either on Paramount+ or CBS Sports Network.

While select games will be available on Paramount+ each matchweek, Scottish Premiership clubs will continue to offer their own streaming services for home and away matches. While that may sound tempting, be prepared for a sticker shock. The prices can be more than $250 per season.

With Paramount+, the Essential Plan is $4.99 per month. A free 7-day trial is available if you want to try it first.

Paramount+ is available via PC or Mac as well as Roku, iPhone and Android phones, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, PlayStation 4, Samsung smart TV, Vizio and XBOX One.

CBS officially announced more details about the deal.

Scottish Premiership TV schedule

All times Eastern USA

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
81 Comments

81 Comments

1. Ra

August 4, 2021 at 6:02 pm

@Michael F. I checked Peacock in detail, and I did find the TV shows from A-Z. It was a long scroll down through all the ‘recommended’ stuff. It did not surprise me that I hadn’t found it yet.
    I found it quite peculiar that WWE had a recommended tab. Who watches this? Apparently, WWE receives more love from Peacock than EPL. 🙂
    But after reviewing all the TV shows, I did not find anything worthwhile. There were some good movies, but most have been around for a while. Another thing that put me off is how they label their content, e.g., “Looking for Laughs?” (should be ‘Comedy’ instead). A more straightforward approach would be more accessible.
    The more I think of it, the more I feel that the status quo works for me. NBC will have a soccer property, and as long as they are content with EPL, they are less likely to go after the UCL. This would be an issue for me.
    At the end of the day, we all want the services we already have to carry even more content. And because we use them often, we are also used to their interface.
    My preference is Paramount+ (the only one I have in a yearly agreement) and ESPN+. I am not willing to have a third service; I already feel that I am overpaying everything based on the limited time I have to watch.
    So, in short, Peacock seems to be worth the investment if you are a die-hard EPL or Rugby fan. If that is not the case, they don’t seem to carry the content to appeal to a broader audience. The reported number of paid subscribers seems to corroborate this.

2. Mercator

August 4, 2021 at 4:11 pm

@Nosferatu The problem I have with peacock is the absence of a watch list and any sort of intelligence. Every time I open it, it’s still suggesting stupid sitcoms and children’s shows. I have to go to sports and scroll around to find a live game, and bizarrely its often not even near the top of the sports section. I only watch the football on peacock, I don’t want the other nonsense and I never will. Show me the live football when I open the app. ESPN+ does this nearly perfectly (but no watchlist), Paramount+ does it perfectly (watchlist and live football is always the first suggestion) and it even suggest related shows.

Of course Peacock doesn’t do this, it’s a trash app brought to you by America’s least favorite company. If they actually made the interface usable, or if they actually offered semi-intelligent suggestions, most punters would realize whatever they want to watch isn’t actually on Peacock anyway (it’s behind a cable login). Even people like Michael who try to defend it have nothing positive to say about Peacock, it’s just whataboutism. What does Peacock offer? The app is full of bugs, lacks basic features, and doesn’t even have all the games on. Despite the litany of flaws, Peacock has no redeeming qualities. Everyone hates it, it’s not just football fans on the internet. It’s clearly the worst streaming service available. I actually though that would be FOX, but FOX streams in 4K on its app now (but Copa was still 240p or something) and after watching this Olympics, I actually trust FOX more with a big tournament like the World Cup than I would NBC.

3. Michael F

August 4, 2021 at 11:37 am

@Nosferatu. I completely agree with you 100% and believe you are right on. These interfaces of stream services become a matter of personal preference for some and there is a bias if they dislike the carrier. No question about it.

4. Nosferatu

August 4, 2021 at 12:29 am

When we’re talking about interfaces, I don’t think there’s a single major streaming service that I’ve seen and not complained about–from Netflix to Prime, plus all the ones talked about here.

Paramount+ seems the worst to me; it’s the most difficult to figure out how to navigate, and they still include, as far as I remember, spoilers in the form of showing the length of games (only applicable during knockout stage games).

Peacock really doesn’t seem hard to navigate, but they also have spoiler issues if you’re trying to access replays of games. Sometimes you’ll have to scroll past highlights that give away the score.

But ESPN+ has the same issue, depending on where you’re looking. Even just the ESPN FC preview thumbnail will give something away. And sometimes it freezes on me and the whole Roku has to reboot. I’m particularly concerned about the ESPN app as an NHL fan since the entire NHL package is going to be folded into the app. Unless something changes, it’s spoiler city when scrolling through their NHL page on the app to look for replays.

In other words, none of them are perfect and all could use some improvements. I definitely don’t see Peacock as being the worst, though.

5. Cholo

August 3, 2021 at 11:45 pm

What I truly see is the future of VPN and IPTV.

6. Hans

August 3, 2021 at 2:38 pm

@Ra
    For me I am using Peacock + to follow the Rugby Matches and in my household only I use that app as the other shows are not of interest to the rest of the family.
    What I do is click on the sports tab and then scroll until I find the Rugby category and they did improve that by listing upcoming matches and in addition they created three separate entries labeled with the competitions name followed by the word “Hub” and when clicking on it you get replays and other entries regarding that competition. This is a decent approach to finding content regarding a particular sport or sporting event.
    However, I do agree with you regarding the page under the sports tab it is unorganized and not very helpful because you never know what is being shown under the various shows that are being listed like what sports do they cover or is it ancient or the latest news. This page could definitely need some improvement. I also do find it easier to navigate ESPN+ and Paramount+.

7. Ra

August 3, 2021 at 1:28 pm

@Michael F. I will look for the A-Z again. I haven’t seen enough value in the service, but I would be glad to have another app option. I will check it again.

8. Michael F

August 3, 2021 at 1:24 pm

@Ra. Honestly, I do believe you are taking the same uninformed bias approach as so many others here. It’s easy to follow the the crowd I guess. 🙂

Peacock has a very helpful “TV shows A-Z” among so many other genre categories to find what you’re looking for. No different than practically any other stream service.

9. Ra

August 3, 2021 at 12:10 pm

@Michael F. I am not talking about sports or the EPL only.
    (I don’t want to discuss preferences, but I do not really follow the EPL – I probably watched 2 half games OTA last season. It bothers me more the lack of MotoGP than EPL. EPL seems great, but I already watch more soccer than I should)
    What about the rest of the content?
    Where can I find all TV shows A-Z? Heck, I don’t even know what shows they carry.
    For documentaries, it is even worse. Paramount carries some great docs about planes, ships, subs, ww2, etc. on Smithsonian. Spent some quality time watching ‘Hell Below’ last week. Does Peacock carry anything similar? Hard to tell.

10. Michael F

August 3, 2021 at 11:55 am

@Ra. I will comment on the Peacock app’s layout. I don’t at all see all the complaints on the layout. What is so hard about selecting ‘Sports’ at the top and then ‘live events’ or ‘Soccer’ within that screen tab? Honestly, I don’t where that should be a complaint at all. I see ESPN and especially Paramount+ as complex for finding the content you need to watch. Heck, Paramount+ is worse. ‘Live’ champions league matches are buried into a sub sports category at the bottom, from my experience. No less complex.

All that said, I am not a huge a proponent of Peacock at all. They have a few good universal movie flicks to watch but I will admit… I am only viewing for the EPL at this time. Your other points may be valid. But not the app interface, IMO.

11. Ra

August 3, 2021 at 11:45 am

@Michael F. Let me start by saying that I really enjoy NBC OTA. In my household, the bias is against FOX. But then again, I have even removed FOX OTA and FS1 from my any channel line-ups, so I can’t even comment on them. I couldn’t care less.
    The frustration is that NBC has some great content but hard-to-comprehend pay-walls.
    It is not a bias against NBC, but rather at Comcast’s view and direction. While I enjoy some great content on NBC, they really fall short of delivering value to cord-cutters and their business decisions are based on Comcast’s push to favor cable.
    And honestly, they do terrible at cable too. I got 1mo sling to watch the Olympics, but I have already given up watching most of it. I will just cover the soccer final and I’m done.
    Most content that is being broadcasted on NBCSN in the early mornings (6-7 am) is not what is listed on the grid. They have a huge amount of content from the Olympics, but the Alternative NBCSN channel is out-of-air.
    For Peacock, the app is horrible to navigate and that is on purpose. The content is not sorted by category and subcategory alphabetically. It is engineered for you to keep looking for content. It wants your attention in big and subtle ways. (if you are curious, I suggest Nir Eyal’s ‘Hooked’ book).
    As for the other players, they have their shortfalls, but they fare much better in my opinion.
    Paramount’s ability to watch just pieces of news (under the ‘Extras’ tab) alone is worth my premium subscription. It saves me time and allows me to follow only topics of my interest. Their soccer is a bonus to me, and they have the best content with UCL, Brasileirao, Argentinean, and Serie A.
    I would like to see several enhancements to their interface, but they deliver sound value for the money.
    ESPN has by far the best app on AppleTV. And Disney has a really straight-forward offer with Disney+ and Hulu.
    As for Peacock, what besides the EPL are you following there? I checked once and I couldn’t see full replays of MotoGP, Athletics, Swimming, or any other Olympic sports. Compare that again to ESPN and every weekend I can also watch college-level Olympic sports, or tennis, or pretty much whatever I like.
    NBC has the content and the money to do way better.
    I am curious to hear what others find of value there besides EPL and The Office.

12. Michael F

August 3, 2021 at 10:54 am

@Ra. Ok, i shall clarify by saying EPL is most coveted ‘domestic’ league competition in Europe.

Also, Peacock was getting criticism long before the Olympic coverage. It all started primarily when they began to back out of their claim to provide access to all EPL matches hours after they aired live on NBC Sports linear network. After all the complaints, they made them all available again… but the complaining never stopped. And some that have only linear tv complain that some high profile matches show up only on Peacock. In any case, the whining never stops. (smile). Although some complaints are warranted, it is definitely not worthy of all the negative attention its gotten. Especially when ESPN and especially Paramount+ is painted with such a wonderful light by those that comment here on this site and by Kartik Krishnaiyer. There is definitely a bulls eye target to always be negative about NBC/Peacock here. No question. Its too biased.

13. Ra

August 3, 2021 at 10:54 am

@Marc. I don’t know about #1, but they do have a highlight show called ‘SPFL Magazine’. The first is 13 min long.

14. Marc

August 3, 2021 at 9:10 am

Are you able to watch the matches that are shown live via CBS Sport later on Paramount Plus? Is there a weekly highlight show? Thank you in advance.

15. Bill

August 2, 2021 at 5:20 pm

I dont know if I’m missing something but I’ve watched the Scottish league matches live and replays this past weekend as well as Europa matches this last week on Paramount. I had no problems with any video glitches at all. I am streaming with Roku on a TWC copper line not any fiber.
    I only ask that Paramount has a “tab” for sports instead of having to search for the games.
    really enjoyed the Scot matches, the announcers were great to listen to.

16. Ra

August 2, 2021 at 3:02 pm

@ Michael F. I agree that Paramount+ has a lot of flaws and things to be improved upon. For instance, they should replace the world feed narration for the Brasileirao. It depends on the match, but it is terrible most of the time. Video quality could improve as well. There are another five improvements in my wish list that I commented on before.
    I disagree. The most important competition after the WC is the Champions League, and I think that one of the reasons for so much criticism on Peacock is their coverage of the Olympics.
    Peacock looks very much like Youtube. It has a lot of different landing pages, covering just the key moments and interviews.
    The other reason is that many subscribe to Paramount or Disney because of many properties besides soccer and sports.
    The other reason is that is part of Comcast. If you were ever a Comcast subscriber, you would understand what I mean. From USA Today:
    -x-
    The industries in which Comcast works – internet service, subscription television service, and fixed-line telephone service – are hotbeds for customer dissatisfaction. Yet Comcast does even worse than its competitors. On the American Customer Satisfaction Index, consumers rate Comcast just 60 out of 100 for its internet service, 58 out of 100 for its subscription television service, and 65 out of 100 for its fixed-line telephone service — lower than the industry averages of 64, 64, and 70, respectively.
    Comcast’s poor standing is not a recent development. The company was rated America’s most hated last year, based on similar metrics. Some 47% of customers who responded to 24/7 Wall St. and Zogby’s customer satisfaction survey reported a negative experience with the company – the largest share among all companies considered. The company was forced to pay a $2.3 million fine in 2016 over allegations that it charged customers for unauthorized services and equipment.

17. Michael F

August 2, 2021 at 2:36 pm

@Edward Exactly right.

NBC only gets so much attention and criticism here because it currently carries the most coveted soccer league in the world, and there are many here that can’t get some of these coveted live matches because its on linear tv or they don’t want to splurge the extra $5 to get the rest of the EPL matches.

I would easily debate that Paramount+ has more flaws than Peacock, starting primarily with their lousy video quality. But there match day coverage and analysts leave much to be desired as well… and I am not alone on that opinion either.

18. Christopher

August 1, 2021 at 4:16 pm

It’s definitely a producer thing, I noticed the first Bundesliga 2 match was the same and the Fortuna Düsseldorf x Weder Bremen match is the same way. It’s better than nothing but slightly annoying. The Belgian league is not like this.

19. JP

August 1, 2021 at 1:57 pm

@Christopher @Josh. Have the same issues. Yesterday and today been testing out Paramount+ and the SPFL live stream quality noticeably bad. Once again the Argentine league quality seems better.

Tried a match replay and also had the choppy quality, play would speed up and slow down, don’t have that issue when live. This is on a Fire stick and noticed online others with Fire complaining about how buggy Paramount+ is (crashes etc, same for me). Tried the same replay on my iPhone and was ok

Was going to purchase an Apple TV just for the convenience of switching to live content among different apps w/o having to exit an app and start another now that I have leagues across 2 platforms. Maybe that will alleviate some of the stream issues that it has on the Fire stick too.

20. Edward

August 1, 2021 at 1:55 pm

@Josh: everything pivots to bashing NBC here on WST

21. Josh

August 1, 2021 at 1:40 pm

I noticed this too. I wondered if it was just because I was watching it on a cheaper Hisense TV or if my internet was being buggy, but it almost seemed a little choppy at times. Like, when players were running full speed, it seemed like the refresh rate couldn’t catch up with them or something. I didn’t seem to have this issue on ESPN on the same TV, but maybe I’m just misremembering. For what it’s worth, I was using the match replay feature, not watching live.

22. Bill

August 1, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I’m watching Mother n Hibs live right now and the stream looks fine. The announcers are very good. lots of info on both teams. several camera angles and closeups.
    I’m very happy to have already had Paramount and now get to watch the Scotland matches

23. Christopher

August 1, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I think the quality of the stream is poor and I know it’s the SPFL because I’ve checked other streams on Paramount Plus and everything runs flawless and on ESPN + everything is flawless !. It’s in HD and looks beautiful, it’s hard to explain the issue, it’s like it’s in slower motion than a normal stream is like.

24. Bill

August 1, 2021 at 6:29 am

i enjoyed the matches yesterday, announcers were lively, KC, congrats on the dramatic late win yesterday but where were the fans? the opening announcer comment about the dissapointing 5,ooo fans was interesting

25. Josh

July 31, 2021 at 12:34 pm

How did this comments thread, on a Scottish Premiership-related article, turn into one about the EPL and NBC?

I mostly jest, as I enjoy them both, But I got excited when I saw there were 50+ comments on a Scottish Premiership article. Oh well.

26. KC

July 31, 2021 at 9:18 am

Brilliant news, I’m a HeartsTV subscriber but this gives me access to some away games I don’t have otherwise…a weekly roundup is a bonus too. It’s a great league, if a little predictable, but its the first time since 2005 we’ve had all the derby teams from Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Dundee, in the top league…great stuff!

27. Michael F

July 29, 2021 at 9:08 pm

I understand the complaints about Peacock, but I am not sure I get the wish for Paramount to get EPL. I was not at all impressed with their video quality of the champions league coverage, and I know I was not alone in that opinion. First and foremost, what we are viewing today should be of high video quality. My experience has been ESPN+ is excellent, and although many have trashed Peacock – I have found their video quality is light years ahead of Paramount. But maybe that’s because I use Apple TV 4th gen.

28. Ra

July 29, 2021 at 8:02 pm

@Mercator Completely agree. Someone (Paramount, ESPN, Apple+) should get EPL and put Peacock out of its misery. All players are having to deal with the streaming/cable conundrum, but NBC is also a major cable operator. Their behavior is pretty consistent with the way they also treat their Comcast customers.

29. Mercator

July 29, 2021 at 7:46 pm

Peacock is a joke and the more people that are tricked into trying it, the more people that end up hating it. Been refreshing to see all my non-soccer friends start blasting peacock now that they have tried to deal with it during the olympics. It’s a terrible platform, it’s not just football fans complaining. Every time they add something big, be it WWE or Olympics, its a disaster and the fans tear them to shreds. Their olympics coverage is absolutely abysmal, to the point to diminishing my enjoyment and enthusiasm of the events. With La Liga on ESPN+ now, the EPL could get blown away in the next few years sticking with NBC and the Peacock disaster.

30. Ra

July 29, 2021 at 5:32 pm

PS: Right now I am listening to ‘Twilight of the Gods’ by Ian W Toll. I highly recommend it.

31. Ra

July 29, 2021 at 5:28 pm

@Michael I would call it multithreaded. With ~90 billions neurons, we can do more than following just one match. I can still listen to a podcast while watching my 4-game stream. 🙂

32. Cole Stark

July 29, 2021 at 5:21 pm

They have already added a game on august 2 which is not on the listing given above of the schedule so here’s hoping they will show a lot of other games that wasn’t on the schedule mentioned above by the writer. Paramount + is showing four games the first weekend. If that stays like that it’s a drastic improvement.

33. Michael F

July 29, 2021 at 5:14 pm

@Ra. You “indeed prefer a broad but shallow coverage” of soccer. A multi-tasker… watch as many matches at the same time as you can. Good for you. With such shallow viewing, you wouldn’t care if you missed a specific EPL match then. 😄

Me? I don’t understand that type of viewing at all. But to each it’s own.

34. Gunter

July 29, 2021 at 4:59 pm

@Michael F – While I don’t disagree with your points and would also be surprised if NBC doesn’t retain the EPL (Comcast ownership of Sky is a huge part), I would be careful with PR-crafted #’s here. Signups and whatever defines an active account based on what Brian Roberts is saying on an earnings call is a terrible way to measure fan engagement and growth. The sense is more entrenched EPL fans like you will undoubtedly follow the league and subscribe for the extra $’s, but Soccer distribution in the U.S. (while plentiful vis-a-vis numerous options) is becoming a pawn in a high-stakes game among media operators trying to support existing linear revenue models while also trying to grow long-term Direct-to-Consumer flexibility in parallel.

Very difficult for EPL to grow its reach when a large portion of the niche product is also behind a niche D2C platform. Moreover, young fans and prospects are less inclined to watch live sports just in general and much less likely to subscribe to Peacock, Paramount+, or ESPN+ for that matter. The “niche” sport aka Soccer is essentially the guinea pig, e.g. notice how you’re not seeing significant rights from other major U.S. sports going exclusively D2C whereas it happens all the time with soccer leagues bc viewership scale moving away from TV doesn’t scare the distributers as much. I don’t see any winners at scale long-term with that model other than ESPN (until big tech gets involved in sports rights). At least ESPN+ has enough culturally relevant content outside of Soccer to make the + value proposition somewhat compelling for the price – especially if you’re also a UFC fan. If I’m the EPL, I push NBCU/Comcast for strong minimum broadcast commitments on NBC to continue enjoying the benefits of 1 partner going all in and prioritizing — but in parallel bring in another partner for some free social/digital content exclusivity (possibly TikTok) getting EPL +engagments and reach that NBC would simply have to agree to. NBC’s scale on social (where the young kids are at) is abysmal and EPL gets no benefits with NBC retaining all that highlight/social content exclusivity.

35. Ra

July 29, 2021 at 4:17 pm

@ Michael I do not agree with the statement that Peacock has been successful in comparison to competitors. CBS had 14M paid subscribers and 43M (30M in the US) free subscribers (through PlutoTV. NBC had 13.8M (active) with 3M (paid) as of last quarter. They were hoping the Olympics would boost their numbers, which may be reflected in your numbers.
    I do indeed prefer a broad, but shallow coverage. Just enjoy watching top-quality soccer. For EPL, in particular, I don’t even have a favorite team.
    Ideally, I would in my AppleTV the following multi-view: 1-2 Bundesliga matches, 1 LaLiga, 1 EPL. Or on Paramount+: Champions, Serie A, Brasileirao. I hope they implement multi-view and give the option to add on-demand streams.

There has been speculation recently that NBCUniversal will try to buy its way into a successful streaming strategy. From MotleyFool’s website:

ViacomCBS (NASDAQ:VIAC) is the result of a remerging of Viacom and CBS, which closed at the end of 2019. Still, the company is relatively small when compared to the giants in the industry.
    The merged company has a renewed focus on streaming, rebranding CBS All Access as Paramount+ earlier this year and adding tons of Viacom content to the service. ViacomCBS also operates the free ad-supported streaming service Pluto TV, which has grown to be one of the largest AVOD platforms in the U.S.
    With an enterprise value of $40 billion, it’ll need a pretty deep-pocketed buyer to make a deal. Analysts put Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), which owns NBCUniversal, as the frontrunner. Comcast is working to get its own ad-supported streaming service, Peacock, to take flight. It can benefit from the combined forces of its Universal movie studios with ViacomCBS’ Paramount Pictures, and it can use the new intellectual property to expand Universal Studios parks.
    Comcast’s cable networks are mostly complementary to ViacomCBS, but regulators may take issue with one company owning two of the major broadcast stations in the U.S. (CBS and NBC).

36. Michael F

July 29, 2021 at 3:39 pm

@Ra I think you are simply trying to convince yourself and praying that NBC loses EPL after 2022. Note that according to the Streamable.com reported today,.. “Peacock had a total of 54 million sign-ups and 20 million active accounts as of this week. According to Comcast CEO Brian Roberts, that’s 50% higher than last quarter.”

I am not sure how that relates to actual paid subscribers annually on Peacock, but all the soccer daily highlight shows from EPL and the 24 hour EPL channel on Peacock is free (no paid sub required), so EPL gets plenty of exposure on Peacock without anyone having to pay a cent for live matches. If any viewer starts to gain interest with this exposure, he/she will gladly pay a small $5 fee a month to watch the matches too.

I will be surprised if NBC loses the EPL after 2022. They already lost the NHL as they had to make some hard decisions and dumped a ton of money into NFL Sunday Night Football. Plus Comcast has a stake in Sky sports that makes sense for them to continue this coverage. B

Either way, I am amazed so many think it will be so much better if ESPN or Paramount gets the EPL. NBC has put all their focus on the EPL, as they did the NHL… where ESPN has so many leagues and priorities – where viewers will just not get the deep dive coverage of all the clubs. But I get it… many of the soccer fans here are only interested in the top 4 clubs and just want to watch some soccer. That’s where I am different. I follow the league, not just the top 4 clubs.

37. Ra

July 29, 2021 at 1:16 pm

@Gunter You have a point. I agree that most of these rights don’t have a broad appeal and are niche.
    I see it as beneficial since it allows me to cover a lot of leagues at a very reasonable cost. The same is not true in countries with a strong soccer culture.

Regarding La Liga, there is another factor that ESPN had certainly put in their valuation. La Liga will have a strong following among Latinos in the US and based on the viewership numbers, they may top EPL in viewer base.
    ESPN+ has also a much bigger subscriber base. They have 14M subscribers vs Peacock’s 3M (paid). EPL alone has not been able to compete with other offerings. I think EPL is up to a nasty surprise if they renew with NBC.

38. Gunter

July 29, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I’m assuming you all realize most of these soccer rights are largely sub-scale in terms of audience… highly niche with almost zero relevancy in the states. I know this is a world soccer forum, but let’s be real. I don’t think ESPN has the same valuation and analytics sophistication as Netflix and Amazon, but they’re not stupid and I highly doubt Serie A, SPFL, and some of these soccer rights move the needle at all.

Shifting gears, NBC has made a big bet on Peacock and I don’t see them letting EPL rights go without a fight, but CBS has shown the willingness to overpay so 🤔. FOX seems only interested in tentpoles that can drive audience at scale with World Cups, major summer tournaments.

Lastly, do we think EPL is nervous at all about ESPN grabbing La Liga? Of course, it’s a top-heavy league and not nearly as competitive as EPL IMO… however I think La Liga gets a monumental bump on national relevancy with the move and I definitely see El Clasicos and some big La Liga matches on ESPN Networks over-performing (ratings, etc.) the best tentpole matches EPL has to offer.

39. Jonathan

July 29, 2021 at 10:33 am

They’ve posted the schedule through September and honestly it’s pretty laughable. Celtic have 8 matches in that span and they are only showing the two matches? Both Celtic and Aberdeen play St. Mirren and they chose to show the Aberdeen/St Mirren one? I’m all for giving the championship exposure but not at the expense of the top league. Do we really want to watch Dunfermline vs Raith Rovers?

• Christopher Harris

July 29, 2021 at 10:58 am

Jonathan, it’s the Scottish Premiership, not the Celtic Premiership. Just like last season when ESPN+ had the rights, they show all of the teams across the season. It’s not Paramount+ that is deciding which games to show. It’s whatever the Scottish league makes available to them.

If you want to watch all of the Celtic games home and away, you can subscribe to Celtic TV directly through the Celtic website. A subscription is more than $250 per season.

40. Bill Shields

July 28, 2021 at 10:26 pm

What about the Scottish League Cup and the Scottish Cup?
    Are they still with ESPN+ ?
    The next round of Scottish League Cup games are scheduled for the weekend of August 14th.

41. Chris Guardiano

July 28, 2021 at 9:51 pm

This is great news about the Scottish Premiership because it will mean games on linear television for the first time since the league was on Fox and they showed the Old Firm matches on FS1/FS2. CBS Sports Network definitely needs the content because apart from the Champions/Europa League, Serie A, Formula E, WNBA, NWSL and the various sports talk shows they have, CBS Sports Network doesn’t have a whole lot of live programming to justify being a basic cable network like FS1 or ESPN according to many cable companies. The college football and basketball deals they have are with the smaller conferences. Getting the Scottish Premiership is small step towards that goal of being a basic cable channel and for CBS to keep the channel and not have it go the way of NBCSN.

42. Pete

July 28, 2021 at 9:26 pm

CBS going to produce any of these broadcasts, or does the SPL have their own feed/or will they be using the Sky Sports feed?

43. Chris Guardiano

July 28, 2021 at 9:24 pm

@UnitedFan 3478 Fox does have a streaming service called Tubi which is free. However currently, Tubi is only used for streaming old TV series like Alias & the X-Files, reruns of Fox’s shows and that’s about it although there are rumors that out of market NFL games will be streamed on there beginning this season. I should point out that this would only apply to the games Fox airs on Sundays and not Thursday Night Football in which games are streamed on Amazon Prime.

44. David K.

July 28, 2021 at 9:18 pm

Weird CBS would split access for SPL between streaming P+ and linear cable CBSSN when P+ shows all the games for the Champions League and from what I am hearing Serie A, which are higher quality competitions.

45. Cole Stark

July 28, 2021 at 4:34 pm

it shows a 730a a 2p and a 10am kickoff time in central time USA

46. Cole Stark

July 28, 2021 at 4:31 pm

yes im sure they will have replays able to watch they do for all the other soccer they have available on the app

47. Well Atkul

July 28, 2021 at 4:30 pm

Jackie,

Don’t be the “ well ackchyually” replier with the “Old Firm doesn’t exist!” nonsense.

48. Ra

July 28, 2021 at 4:28 pm

@Chris Any rumors on the price tag for CBS?

49. John

July 28, 2021 at 4:27 pm

Will it be possible to view the games later? Live games are at 4-5 am on the west coast. ESPN+ allowed later viewing.

50. Ra

July 28, 2021 at 4:10 pm

It seems like they are starting to use NBC’s playbook. I absolutely hate this model. I wonder if the Paramount+ premium will offer all games? They mentioned, ‘additional sports’ for premium when they announced the tiers earlier in the year. Any indication of what they were referring to?

51. Cole Stark

July 28, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Hopefully they will continue to show 3 matches a week instead of just one like is listed on some weekends on the schedule for this website.

52. Cole Stark

July 28, 2021 at 3:50 pm

They are showing rangers v livingston, heart of midlothian v celtic and motherwell v hibernian.

53. Cole Stark

July 28, 2021 at 3:48 pm

According to the website they will be showing three games over 7/31-8/1. I think that is a big improvement over ESPN+ and the one game a week we were getting there but no championship games yet just premeirship. Wonder how they will do tournaments.

54. jason

July 28, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Right now as I type this I think among just European leagues, ESPN+ has EFL (England), Bundesliga (Germany), La Liga (Spain), Juplier (Belgium), and Allvenskan (Sweden)…..and thats it right?

55. JP

July 28, 2021 at 3:11 pm

@Christopher Harris, interesting CBS would bifurcate SPL coverage over P+ and CBSSN when it’s a smaller property/less matches but have all of Serie A and ULC available on P+. What is the thought process there? Hope they don’t end up backsliding in the years ahead and have Serie A follow that model too.

• Christopher Harris

July 28, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Trying to serve two masters — the executives that want to hit their subscriber goals with streaming, and the linear side where they want to grow CBS Sports Network into a bigger channel.

56. Michael

July 28, 2021 at 1:45 pm

@UnitedFan 3478 @JP I don’t think their will be a lot of room on ABC, ESPN, or ESPN2, because once they are done with college football, they have even more coverage of College Basketball. In addition it is harder to get their money back with over the air broadcast. They will be able better monetize it over the ESPN+ app. That being said, I hope there is a big bid for it….but I have been listening carefully to the careful tone that Chris and Kartik have been using…and I may be totally wrong…but I think they are telling us that ESPN showed us that they think NBC is going to renew EPL by how much they spent on La Liga rights and making it their top soccer (European) headline. They are not really leaving room for EPL to be the “main show” like they are used to being. In addition in the same timeframe that they signed La Liga for $1.4 billion they spent $2.8 billion on NHL and another $3.0 billion on buying the game of the week for SEC football from CBS. I think if had any chance at EPL, they would have tried to lock it up before they spent that much on EPL, so that the EPL rights didn’t set the market and make them pay even more for La Liga. I know people don’t like it, but I think EPL is going to NBC/Peacock. Look how much money they spent on WWE an put it behind a firewall when most of those USA shows were averaging 1.1 – 1.5 million viewers each week. That’s just my opinion.

57. SC

July 28, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Christopher, can you clarify what this part of the CBS press release means: “select matches throughout the deal streaming exclusively on Paramount+, ViacomCBS’ subscription streaming service, and others airing exclusively on CBS Sports Network.” The way they use exclusive in both instances reads like the arrangement NBC has been derided for with some exclusively on cable and others exclusively on streaming with both platforms needed for the full package,

• Christopher Harris

July 28, 2021 at 2:59 pm

Yes, it’s similar to the NBC model where they want consumers to pay for Paramount+ but also have a cable/satellite/streaming service that includes the linear CBS Sports Network channel.

58. Jonathan

July 28, 2021 at 11:54 am

Is it safe to say almost all or most of the Celtic and Rangers games will be on paramount+? When ESPN+ had them it was hit or miss some weeks depending on who they were playing.

59. Christopher

July 28, 2021 at 11:29 am

@Christopher Harris, so basically it’s privitasation that’s ruling in Scotland ? Does the FA or League never had a collective sharing of the money on what is gained from the sale of rights ?

• Christopher Harris

July 28, 2021 at 11:58 am

It’s more that the Scottish clubs flexed their muscle and were able to secure club TV channel streaming deals direct to consumers. So the disadvantage to broadcasters is that streaming deals (such as this one) doesn’t include all of the games.

60. Christopher

July 28, 2021 at 11:26 am

Nice acquisition!! Glad to see that !! I just hope it’s more than just one game or two games a match week.

I would not be surprised to see Paramount end up with the Dutch League or the Danish league, possibly both ! They are showing they are committed to showing football and butting in on ESPN.

Champions League rights in the future is going to be interesting to see who tries to get them.

61. Ra

July 28, 2021 at 10:52 am

I am absolutely against joint bids for rights. It strikes me as anticompetitive and cartel-minded. It reduces the number of competitors and their efforts to meet consumer demands.
    Besides, it also makes it more confusing and complicated to follow leagues.

62. UnitedFan 3478

July 28, 2021 at 10:08 am

@JP The second this season ends, I’m canceling my Peacock subscription, because it’s really likely that NBC will not renew

63. JP

July 28, 2021 at 10:07 am

@UnitedFan 3478. I don’t work for either of them (unfortunately!) so don’t know, but would imagine they could also show on network/cable when college football season ends but wouldn’t expect too much.

64. UnitedFan 3478

July 28, 2021 at 10:02 am

@JP What about ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN Deportes? Would they air games too?

65. JP

July 28, 2021 at 10:01 am

@UnitedFan 3478. They would split it. I would go with maybe ESPN+ on Sunday’s when usually less Bundesliga action and Saturday on P+ when less Serie A, so they don’t cannibalize existing properties. La Liga is usually spaced out fairly evenly so no way of avoiding that.

66. UnitedFan 3478

July 28, 2021 at 9:53 am

@JP Great point, the reason why I said Fox is because they don’t have a streaming service, If it were ESPN/CBS, who would stream the games? ESPN+ or Paramount+? 🤔

67. JP

July 28, 2021 at 9:50 am

@UnitedFan3478, how about an ESPN/CBS bid for EPL. Both are engaged in a war for soccer rights, this could be a way for both to put one competitor (NBC) out of the way at a lower cost than doing a sole bid.
    Would have all the important leagues and competitions aside from World Cup on these two services. Makes both indispensable and their Soccer rights cold war would be tempered a bit, a good thing for both in terms of profitability (not trying to outbid each other for the time being or have to worry about Apple or Amazon swooping in)

68. UnitedFan 3478

July 28, 2021 at 9:41 am

@Christopher Harris Okay, who do you think is most likely to get the Premier League?

There are reasons why a joint ESPN/Fox bid is likely in my opinion

1. ESPN+ has the FA Cup, Carabao Cup, and EFL Championship

2. The EPL would grow if games were on ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, ESPN+, and Fox, FS1 and Fox Deportes

3. If the MLS, a small league could have ESPN and Fox, then the Premier League, a bigger league, could do the same

4. The only way Fox can get the EPL is with ESPN, because of how they don’t have a streaming service

5. Seeing La Liga, Bundesliga, and the EPL on 1 service is something that would make more sense instead of seeing the EPL on Peacock

69. Mercator

July 28, 2021 at 9:31 am

Any reason it’s not all matches? Not that I’m really looking for anything in particular, but I always wondered why ESPN+ for example didn’t just show every SPL or Belgian league game. For Belgium, I figure they may not have english commentary on every game. But for Scotland, do they not have the full rights or is it just technical limitations of running so many streams? How do they determine the “select” games? I follow a small Belgian team, so just wondering if there is any possibility that Belgian rights will include their games, or if there are some business/technical limitations that make it unlikely for a broadcaster to stream every game from some of the smaller leagues.

• Christopher Harris

July 28, 2021 at 9:36 am

The SPFL made the mistake of allowing its clubs to offer streaming of home and away games to its fans directly. So the last thing the clubs want to do is to lose that revenue stream. If the league stopped clubs from streaming games and then the league offered all of the games worldwide, the clubs would throw a fit, to say the least.

70. UnitedFan 3478

July 28, 2021 at 9:28 am

What does this mean for Premier League TV Rights? Will ESPN/Fox or Paramount+ acquire them? I doubt NBC will renew the rights

• Christopher Harris

July 28, 2021 at 9:34 am

Good question, but today’s news has no bearing on the rights to the English Premier League. We’ll discuss in more detail on this week’s podcast.

71. Ra

July 28, 2021 at 8:22 am

Great news! ESPN+ and Paramount+ have won the streaming race for the foreseeable future. I hope they get as many deals as possible. I am covering my soccer needs withonly these two services at a very reasonable cost. I pay every other year $10 to Sling to watch the WC and the Olympics, and that’s it for me.
    I feel blessed to be indifferent about mainstream sports. It makes my life easier.

72. Donald Taylor

July 28, 2021 at 8:18 am

Come on, Hibs!!!

73. Jackie Martling

July 28, 2021 at 8:12 am

Love the news! Scottish Prem have been a bit nomadic over the past few years, but seem to have a home now sorted.
    One problem with your reporting here: the “Old Firm” no longer exists. When Rangers FC went into liquidation in 2012, their club died. The club is now legally known as Sevco Scotland who use The Rangers as their name.
    The matches between Celtic FC and Sevco are now called the Glasgow Derby.