Madrid (AFP) – Spanish football fans breathed a sigh of relief Wednesday when Mediaset Espana announced they had reached agreement to broadcast matches at Euro 2016 which gets underway in France on June 10.
“Mediaset Espana concluded an agreement with CAA Eleven Marketing for the acquisition of rights to broadcast Euro 2016,” said the group in a statement.
They added that the financial arrangements were agreed after “numerous stages of negotiation”.
The group which owns the Cuatro and Telecinco channels will show live 23 of 51 games including all the matches featuring Spain, the two-time defending champions.
“This is excellent news to have found an agreement with UEFA to offer coverage to all Spaniards across our TV channels and the Internet,” said the boss of Mediaset Espana, Pablo Vasile.
Until Wednesday, no broadcaster in Spain had submitted plans to buy the rights which were expected to cost in the region of 45 million euros.
According to sources close to the business, Mediaset would have paid 40 million euros for 31 matches at Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more