Connect with us

Leagues: EPL

How Southampton Has Turned Into This Season’s Surprise Team

The big question this Premier League season has become: Is Southampton for real? Or will they flounder and sink to the middle of the table? My own prediction is that Southampton will taper off and finish in the top ten, possibly pushing for the Europa League, but coming up short.

Editor’s note: For the latest Saints news, analysis and opinion, visit our Southampton team page.

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more

Pages: 1 2

9 Comments

9 Comments

1. Kerry G

November 20, 2013 at 2:50 pm

As an American, a recent football convert (mainly due to my two children playing soccer for several years now), and a relatively new but fanatic Southampton follower (great-grandfather was from the south coast, so there’s the connection), I am THRILLED with the Saints’ success. Very exciting to follow Adam, Rickie, Jay, and all the others week to week. I am not an expert and cannot make predictions based on experience, but I would be surprised if — barring serious knocks to multiple players — Southampton finish below fifth. COYR!

• Saint George

November 21, 2013 at 2:05 am

Welcome aboard 🙂
      As a long time Saints fan (first visit to the old Dell in 1972) I can say the last few years from our fall from grace from the Premier League to the bottom of the third division and back to where we are now has been a hell of a ride….
      Just hope we can keep it up and the more fans we pick up on the way the merrier 🙂

2. abdirahman

November 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

i just want to ask you question southampton right now in the table are in the third place if you look back the history of epl never it happened a team thats in top three after 11 games finish the league table below forth place,so my question is you predicted europa league place why don’t you look down these stats? I believe southampton will finish forth.

• Todd Shenk

November 20, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I would put Southampton out there as a team unto its own. To look at the statistic of where teams finish through the years I think it’s worth noting that those teams are typically the bigger clubs. Southampton cannot be considered a big club at this point. I think that for them to finish in the top four would be a huge achievement and one that will require them to give up on the FA Cup much like they did the League Cup.

I wouldn’t rule out a top four finish for them, but I think it will be incredibly difficult for them to maintain this form. The next month will be their biggest test, but I don’t think they are quite at the point of giving them a top four finish. There are too many better teams around them.

• Kerry G

November 22, 2013 at 4:01 pm

“…[You] think it will be incredibly difficult for them to maintain this form….” Are you kidding me? They’re getting better every week!

3. Justin Rodway

November 20, 2013 at 10:41 am

Let’s hope you get this prediction wrong, just like the pre season one 😉

• Todd Shenk

November 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I am always fine with getting predictions wrong, especially when it involves the underdog. I will say that Southampton has become my favorite team to play as on FIFA 14.

4. Bishopville Red

November 20, 2013 at 9:26 am

I have to be honest, Southampton does not surprise me.

I was impressed with what I saw last year and the additions they made this year, especially Wanyama, seem like good purchases.

They took some heat when the fired Nigel Adkins, but Pochettino seems to have infused a positive style of play in the Saints.

Like you said, the stats can be misleading. The look of this team, however, was a fair bit different.

SB

• Todd Shenk

November 20, 2013 at 2:14 pm

They have definitely added some positivity to their play this season. Southampton seem to be a team that is full of intangibles. Statistics don’t quite add up with them and I would attribute that to their ability to play as a team.

I do think they are surprising simply because they were a team that seemed full of potential last season (especially second half) and there was no way to know if they would realize that potential this season.

I guess my question for you would be: Would you have been surprised if Southampton were in the middle of the table or even near the bottom?