THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
ZUR
THURS, 3PM ET
MON
APO

Argentina vs Belgium Starting Lineups, TV Times and World Cup Open Thread

argentina belgium Argentina vs Belgium Starting Lineups, TV Times and World Cup Open Thread

The first of the final two World Cup quarterfinals kick off today with the first match between Argentina and Belgium, to be played in Brasilia, promising to be an intriguing affair between two attractive sides.

Where to watch -

The 12 PM EST/9 AM PST kick-off can be watched at -

• English language: ABC and Watch ABC
• Spanish language: Univision, Univision Deportes Network and Univision online
• Portuguese language: ESPN Deportes

Referee -

Nicola RIZZOLI (Italy)

Starting lineups -

Argentina: Romero; Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Basanta; Biglia, Mascherano, Di Maria; Lavezzi, Messi, Higuain.

Belgium: Courtois, Alderweireld, Van Buyten, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Fellaini, De Bruyne, Mirallas, Hazard, Origi

SEE MORE — Everything you need to know about the World Cup.

Before, during or after today’s match, join the conversation in the comments section below with fellow soccer fans from around the world.

This entry was posted in Argentina, Belgium, World Cup, World Cup 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Argentina vs Belgium Starting Lineups, TV Times and World Cup Open Thread

1. R.O says:

Italian Ref, hmmm. Argentinians has quite a bit of Italian ancestry and history. :-)

2. Smokey Bacon says:

The big teams have stepped it up at the QF stage. Germany and Brazil yesterday, Argentina today. Looks like the semis will have a familiar ring to them.

3. Christopher Harris says:

What a pleasure it is to listen to Derek Rae. I love how he blends in interesting facts now and again (without overdoing it) as well as his focus on the correct way to pronounce player names.

4. Huw Roma says:

With all the early goals in the quarter finals it’s a shame the games haven’t risen to any great heights. The knockout stages have been a real disappointment, much in the vein of the 02 and 06 World Cups.

• Huw Roma says:

I don’t know why this comment was thumbed down. It’s all subjective and an opinion of course, but don’t try and tell me there’s been one genuine classic in the knockout stage. Somehow I don’t think we’ll be talking about any of these games in 30 years time.

• Christopher Harris says:

The group stage has been the best one from a World Cup in my living memory. The Round of 16 and quarterfinals, except for a couple of exceptions, have been tense matches. I’m not in the camp of “this is the best World Cup ever.” Yet. Still a lot of games remain.

• Huw Roma says:

I agree on the group stage aspect and yes there’s still a few games to go, but based on what we’ve seen it would be asking a lot for an improvement. The ‘best world cup ever’ debate has long since faded it appears. This is certainly the best tournament since 98, but it’s not better than that WC or 1994 either. It’s been pointed out by many, but what’s faded from recent WC’s is the obvious lack of great teams, obvious standout players and memorable goals. People love to cite Italia 90 as the nadir of WC’s but to me the amount of iconic moments, classic games and great players exceeds 2014.

• R.O says:

IMO I think the “unexpected” teams became cautious and the legacy teams have been here before and know it’s the knockout stage and play just enough to get through.

Look at Germany, they reverted back to their days of the 1990′s. Play position, tactical passing and ball control.

Depending which two teams get into the final, we may see a more open game like in the grp stage.

5. francis says:

So who are all the Man City fans on this site rooting for in this one?

• Flyvanescence says:

I was rooting for Belgium and Kaptain Kompany, but i know many were all in for Argentina. Im now on board with them, and it was nice to see Zabaletas run set up Higuain’s goal.

6. R.O says:

Ok, I’m going out on a limb here (way out lol), taking the Messi factor out, how was Argentina D able to stifle Belgium where the USA didn’t/couldn’t?

Yes Higuain did an excellent job of holding the ball Di Maria was playing well but Argentina was without him for 75% of game due to injury.

I guess I’m naive or clueless today but I don’t see that the Argentina D played a fantastic d to limit Belgium’s offense.

I’m not saying the USA D was top class but Belgium sure seem to put much more pressure and have more play than vs Argentina.

• R.O says:

What the heck did I write there in my last paragraph? lol. sheeze.

Ok this is what I meant to write:

Belgium didn’t seem to be putting the type of pressure against Argentina like they did vs USA. And while the USA played back and let Belgium control the ball more in midfield, vs Argentina once Belgium got into the last 3rd of the field, they didn’t show much and didn’t make the Argentine GK under much pressure vs what they did to Howard.

• Flyvanescence says:

To be fair: Zaba, Garay and Demichelis are a little bit better than Yedlin, Gonzalez and Besler (well maybe a big bit). Not to mention the quality of Mascherano in front of them.

• R.O says:

Yup, Mascherano, excellent. Just didn’t see the Belgium that “stormed” fwd vs Argentina as they did in the US game.