This week USL PRO continued its development as a USSF minor league by releasing its playoff schedule. Last week it had released a season schedule and division format outlining how its clubs would compete in its first year of existence as USL PRO.
The playoffs will consist of three rounds, with the top three seeds from the American and National Divisions and the top two seeds from the International Division making the playoffs. All matches will be single-elimination played at the site of the team with the better record, and teams will be reseeded after the quarterfinals. The championship will take place between September 2 and 4. The press release can be seen here and our story on the league format can be seen here.
Also interesting is this line at the bottom of the release: “USL PRO is the strongest, best operated and most sophisticated North American men’s professional soccer league below MLS, both on and off the field.” This of course was released after it was reported the NASL was losing its provisional sanction from the USSF. I personally don’t believe in coincidences, but maybe it was just a coincidence that the line was included.
What do you think? Can MLS learn something from the USL PRO playoff structure, and is it reasonable?
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ