THURS, 1PM ET
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

Top 10 Favorite Soccer Podcasts

spc top10 mainimg 440 Top 10 Favorite Soccer Podcasts
Between football and tech shows, I listen to 28 different podcasts on a weekly basis to make my commute that much more tolerable. Out of all of the shows I listen to, here are my current favorites:

1. The Spurs Show – Definitely my current favorite, but how funny will be it now that Martin Jol has left and when the Tony Soprano impersonations are history? Right now, each episode is laugh-out-loud.

2. The Game – Balague needs to be on this show on a regular basis to maintain a high place in my top 10. The banter between Balague and Marcotti is reason numero uno to love this show.

3. Football Weekly – If the podders can continue having episodes like this past Monday’s, they’ll surpass The Game in these charts because of one reason: humor. Glendenning needs to be a regular podder each week, end of story.

4. 5 Live Football Daily – This relatively new podcast from the BBC is a brilliant idea. Take the best football bits from BBC Five Live and combine them into a nightly podcast. Best part of the week is Friday night’s Premier League preview show with Gabriele Marcotti and former players.

5. Divers and Cheats. Other than the occasional inane remark such as touting the show as being part of “The Only Football Network That Matters,” Divers and Cheats is a winning formula focusing on the most remarkable football news stories of the week. The last two episodes haven’t been as strong as usual, so if they can get back to winning ways, there’s an opportunity to move up the chart.

6. BBC Sportsweek. Host Garry Richardson brings together some of the biggest names each week in sport on this insightful interview show. I usually fast forward past the athletes from other sports, but the football interviews alone are definitely worth the effort.

7. BBC World Football. Subscribe to this podcast and you’ll get two equally special podcasts. The first is a football documentary show hosted by Alan Green, which shows a different side to Greenie from his 606 persona. The second podcast is the World Football Phone In featuring intelligent questions about the world’s game and equally intelligent answers from Tim Vickery and Sean Wheelock.

8. Podball 365. A recent newcomer to this chart (and my iTunes subscription). Hosted by Football 365, the conversations with guests are forthright and refreshing, while some of the comedy parts are decent (especially a recent “interview” with Jamie Redknapp).

9. MP Red. The excellent podcast from the Liverpool supporters group in New York is top drawer for analysis even if you aren’t a Liverpool fan. The podcast has dropped in my charts because of the absence of the astute Simon Davis and the lack of a regular schedule.

10. Major League Soccer Talk. Host Kartik Krishnaiyer has jumped into the top 10 charts after a host of fascinating interviews. My favorites episodes thus far: Christopher Sullivan and Jamie Trecker.

And of course, check out our very own EPL Talk Podcast for the only Premier League interview show on the Internet. Founded in 2006, the show features over 100 episodes with some of the biggest names in soccer such as Steve McClaren, John Terry, Mikel John Obi, Alan Mullery, Jay DeMerit and many others.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Top 10 Favorite Soccer Podcasts

1. Johnny on the Spot says:

I would agree with most of them. Another one that I have come to love is Baker and Kelly, who are also part of Wippit like Cornwall.

2. The Scout says:

I’d give a plug for the 6-0-6 download…it’s great to hear the fans calling in and giving their two cents though Tim Lovejoy is not always easy to tolerate.

3. Simon Burke says:

Five live football daily and the guardian are top of my list – i cant stand Marcotti’s self adoring style. Sportsweek is great as Richardson always asks the tough questions and is antagonistic and 6-0-6 is a laugh if you want to hear morons phone in and butcher the English language. I enjoy it for when SPurs or United lose and their fans call in demanding change or Alex to go etc..

4. Anonymous says:

Divers and Cheats is an inane show. What about WSD? That’s the most entertaining and most downloaded soccer show around! Glendenning is a riot, as is Sid Lowe. Podball 365 is a good one. I’d move that up the list. Major League Soccer Talk is the only listenable show about MLS hosted by an American. The rival shows all have apologists for the league or can only be classified as propoganda.

5. Anonymous says:

Soccernet’s podcast. Anyone listen to that?

6. Anonymous says:

I’ve really enjoyed the FootballFanCast.com podcasts – they do a shows for each team in the premier league. I listen to their Championship show as well… Which is good – it’s a league that doens’t get much coverage.

7. Natz says:

World Soccer Daily is a good podcast too.

8. eplnfl says:

While I have not heard all the pods listed. I would recommend ESPN Soccernet, updated twice a week and with good champions League coverage.

At this point for me WSD would not even get a honorable mention.

9. Anonymous says:

Soccernet is my favorite with a well rounded look around the world of soccer. Lots of Italian and Spanish coverage there. I would say MLS Talk is my second fav except for thos few episodes when the kid with the twang who knows alot but can’t express himself well is on that show. WSD is weak compared to the 2Gs and Divers and Cheats. The rest I haven’t listened to.

10. Anonymous says:

There’s a lot of good podcasts out there now, a good mix of interviews, celebrity hosts and fans opinion on the ground. Agree Footballfancast.com should get a mention, especially those Watford boys, even if you’re not a Watford fan they’re a great laugh.

11. Johnny on the Spot says:

Oh and Tim Vickery alone makes World Football on BBC (up all night) worth listening to.

12. Soccer Guru says:

World Soccer Daily has gotten better. Cohen is now calmer and a little more tolerant of other opinions. Howard while bitter and grumpy is less annoying than Geber was.

The Game stinks. They have a totally brit centric view of everything even though Marcotti is Italian. I hate that show.

I listen to MLS Talk every week, but personally wish the show would stick to the round table format that has worked so well when discussing news and events from around US Soccer rather than all these extraneous interviews. The show was much better over the summer when it was the place to get real analysis of the US National Team. Now with the club game moving front and center, not enough attention is being paid in episodes that feature “special” (as the host likes to say annoyingly over and over again) guests to the results on the pitch. But the recent round table discussions of the league have been nothing short of outstanding, and something sorely needed by American soccer fans.

13. rustcp says:

Football Weekly is my top soccer podcast, and the list of characters (Glendenning, Sid Lowe) really add the extra kick to the podcast.
    MLS Talk has had a couple of outstanding interviews in recent weeks (Sullivan stands out). As a non-American, I find too much attention paid to US Soccer and not enough to MLS itself, but I am glad there is a podcast that does pay attention to soccer on this side of the ocean.

14. Anonymous says:

Baker & Kelly is of course the best, its normally top of the itunes chart so strange its not on your list. i find the Cornwall spurs show a bit dull and sycophantic, Cock On Ball is much much better

15. Sunny Jim says:

I just LOVE MP Red. I heard about it through here and was taken by it immediately. Obviously I’m a Liverpool fan, but I really like their approach where they take the larger worldview outside Anfield. Too many football podcasts focus too narrowly on the club in question as to make the subject interesting only to the most inveterate of fans or anoraks. And then you have others that try to look at everything and are the old mile wide and inch deep.

MP Red very skillfully manages to straddle that. It’s a rare episode that is so entirely Liverpool centric as to turn off a non Liverpool fan. The Panel discussions, when they look at the larger aspects/problems of the game are just flat out superb and a lot more insightful than you’d find on BBC, ITV, Sky, Setanta, etc.

I agree about the absence of Simon, but I must admit that Conor Brennan, who seems to be host and producer, really is the mainstay of this effort. The way he leads the Panel and keeps things flowing is really really good. He’s so much better than so many other hosts/comperes and I’m surprised we haven’t heard or seen him on more mainstream venues.

I do think the Feedback section could do with a little tightening up and I’m not always so sure about the ‘humourpus’ pieces, but for me this is just one fantastic podcast.

And no, I do not work for them! :)

16. Sanjay says:

WSD, WSD, WSD– love the banter, love the bias, love the passion that the guys show

17. Bishopville Red says:

One that’s not big name but great to listen to is Off the Ball on Newstalk 106 out of Ireland. Ken Early’s Newsround is great stuff. Only problem is that they don’t podcast the entire hour of the football show.

18. Bishopville Red says:

Lots of Manchester United fans out there, lots of hits on lots of MUFC websites, but no podcasts in the top ten. Any suggestions for a MUFC podcast?

SB

19. Geordie Racer says:

I have been listening to Betfair’s European Football Show.

I bet on football a fair bit, and there’s plenty of quality advice, but I reckon it’d be ok even if you don’t bet.

Nice to hear people who don’t think the world revolves around the Premier League!

20. Steve Barros says:

I’ve been listening to the Pink Shirt Wise Guys Serie A podcast…it was tough to find a SerieA podcast…this one is the most Stat filled podcast, Italian Soccer or otherwise. Good show.

Another one I like is the one Sky has…it’s all in italian (for italian soccer obviously) however they are the only big name sports reporting that discusses tactics and not just headlines…e.g. Beckhams injury almost drove me nuts!