Swansea City Agree £6m Fee for Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey: Nightly Soccer Report
Swansea have agreed a £6million fee with Liverpool to sign midfielder Jonjo Shelvey. If the England international agrees personal terms and passes his medical, the midfielder could join Swansea as early as this weekend in time for the club’s pre-season tour to the Netherlands.
If the deal goes through, Swansea will have beaten West Ham United and Crystal Palace to capture his signature. And this isn’t the first time the Swans have been rumored to be interested in the 21-year-old. There were reports in the last couple of transfer windows that the Welsh club were interested in signing him.
If Shelvey joins the Swans, he’ll be the seventh signing by Swansea this week. The Welsh club signed three Spaniards (Alejandro Pozuelo, Jordi Amat and Jose Canas), Jonathan de Guzman (on another season-long loan) and youngsters Gregor Zabret and Alex Gogic.
Personally, as a Swansea supporter, I’m not impressed by Shelvey. He reminds me of Josh McEachran, a similarly talented young footballer who went to Swansea but failed to make a positive impression despite few appearances. Shelvey is too wasteful in front of goal. He can disappear in games. And sometimes it’s as if he’s trying too hard. I just can’t see him fitting into this Swansea squad, and I’m surprised the board are letting this transfer go through at a transfer fee that isn’t commensurate with the player’s abilities.
Maybe Laudrup is convinced he can turn this player around, but I’m not sold on him.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Swansea City agree £6m fee for Liverpool’s Jonjo Shelvey — The Guardian
- Sunderland bid for Jozy Altidore turned down by AZ Alkmaar — Sky Sports
- Manchester City target Stephan El Shaarawy will not leave AC Milan — The Independent
- James Perch to Wigan for £700k as Joe Kinnear settles into Newcastle job — The Journal
- Swansea sign midfielder Pozuelo as they increase Spanish contingent to seven — The Mail
- Sunderland considering £5million bid for Tottenham’s Tom Huddlestone — Off The Post
- Chelsea make move for midfielder Marco van Ginkel — BBC Sport
- Sunderland wait on Inter trio Daniel Bessa, Alfred Duncan and Ibrahim Mbaye — Sky Sports
- Gareth Bale reiterates desire to play in Champions League — The Independent
- Swansea sign youngsters Gregor Zabret and Alex Gogic — Sky Sports
- Stoke City sign Marc Muniesa from Barcelona — The Guardian
- Aston Villa freeze out Darren Bent and leave former England striker to ponder his future — Telegraph
- Crystal Palace to make £3m bid for Leeds right back Sam Byram — The Mail
- Crystal Palace sign Brighton midfielder Stephen Dobbie — BBC Sport
- English kids don’t train hard enough, blasts Man City youth chief — The Mail
- Nicklas Bendtner set to complete £3million transfer to Eintracht Frankfurt — The Mirror
- Tore Andre Flo has returned to Chelsea as an academy coach — The Mail
- Bournemouth host Real Madrid in prestige friendly — ESPN FC
- Kyle Bartley joins Birmingham on loan from Swansea — Swansea City
- FA yet to sign up Wembley goal-line technology provider — BBC Sport
- Brazil to face Portugal September 10 at Gillette Stadium
- Paris Saint-Germain bid £43million for Edinson Cavani — The Mail
- Thiago Silva’s agent rejects Barcelona links for PSG defender — Sky Sports
- Pro soccer’s future in OKC will go through courtroom — The Oklahoman
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.