After assessing each Premier League team’s weaknesses last season, talent gaps within the squad and new signings, I’ve compiled a short-list of suitable players teams could and perhaps should sign between now and the end of the transfer window, taking into account realistic transfer budgets and each manager’s preferences.
Drum roll, please. Here are the 20 Premier League clubs evaluated:
- 10 losses, more than the rest of the top 4 and double the amount of Manchester United and City
- Conceded more goals than the rest of the top 8, with the exception of Newcastle.
- Too reliant on van Persie for goals.
Pacey left back with the stamina and ball skills to shuttle up and down the entire left flank.
Left Back Shortlist
- Domenico Criscito
- Alex Sandro
- Leighton Baines
- Neil Taylor
Centre Back Shortlist
Wenger’s most dependable defenders have tended to be English.
- Phil Jagielka
- Kolo Toure
- Toby Alderweireld
- Only Stoke scored fewer goals last season
- Just 7 league wins all season, fewer than every team but Wolves
- 17 draws, 5 more than any other team
Goalscorer needed to compliment a fit again Bent and players that can create the openings for Bent and co.
- Gary Hooper
- Giovani Dos Santos
- Matt Phillips
- Wilfried Zaha
- Pete Whittingham
- Chris Burke
- Rickie Lambert
- 10 losses and conceded 46, both far too many for a team aspiring to 1st place in the league
- Did not score anywhere near enough to challenge the top teams.
Sturridge and Torres cannot be relied upon to score with any regularity.
- Fernando Llorente – Probably the best match for Drogba’s physicality and general playing style.
- Leandro Damiao
- Edinson Cavani
- Klaas-Jan Huntelaar
- Loic Remy
- Roberto Soldado
Need to get more goals if they are to break into the top 6
Creative Midfielder Shortlist
- Ended the league season with a goal difference of -3
- Low scorers
Physical striker needed similar in style to Zamora and Pogrebnyak.
- Grant Holt
- Maxi Lopez
- Marouane Chamakh
- Roque Santa Cruz
- Rickie Lambert
- Liverpool’s strikers had a very low conversion rate last season despite many chances being created.
- Very low scorers given their league aspirations.