Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

England Fans Setting Themselves Up To Fail

England Fans Setting Themselves Up To Fail

During the last several weeks I have noticed that several pro England articles have appeared on EPL Talk and other sites especially concerning the USA vs. England match, and the articles seem to imply a feeling of arrogance, and nonchalance.

Many people are already handing out the spots to make it to the group stage, England first and the USA second, like we are getting the table scraps. But I believe that this game is of much more importance to the English fans than they are giving us credit for. I do believe, however, that England fans at this point will be the most disappointed with a negative result for the Three Lions. England had an incredible qualifying run but still need to get one monkey off their backs. That monkey is the fact that England traditionally crash and burn at the World Cup.

The truth of the matter is that a USA victory would be catastrophic to England. The Three Lions are being tipped to win the World Cup (by their own fans). How are they going to do that if the lowly Yanks beat them? Team USA is more than capable of giving England a good run for their money, and it is very possible that they can win. As evident by the latest round of World Cup friendlies, England was not able to score their goals alone, while the USA played a very good game against Turkey. The England vs. Japan game reminded me of Manchester United’s season (I am an avid Man United fan; n fact, I went to England for one day just to see the Red Devils at Old Trafford).

It would behoove English fans to stop handing out the top places in their group and acting like the match has already been won. Karma is a beautiful thing and it would be a shame if the Three Lions finished second or worse in their group, wouldn’t it?

Respect should be given to any and all opponents because anyone can win at the end of the day.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to England Fans Setting Themselves Up To Fail

1. jose says:

im glad england are paper champions in our group. after saturday i could be wrong but im not arrogant, i hope we tie. like deuce says don’t tread on this.

2. GIJoe says:

They are doing what we (Portugal) did with you in 2002! We had the golden generation (Figo, Rui Costa, João Pinto, Pauleta) and all that stuff, we were almost champions without playing, and we payed the price! Perhaps England is going to learn the same thing in a few days, so don’t worry, just support the USMNT and let them talk!

3. helen williams says:

As an England fan I can categorically state that any fan (being English or otherwise) would not think any matches in the world cup being ‘easy’ or a ‘walkover’ as you like to put it. Good God we have had enough chances and let downs over the years. England will play their best I’m sure of that and win or lose the fans will be waiting for them when they return. as for England fans tipping our team to win…. I think thats whats called ‘getting behind your team and supporting them’. and your right England fans would be devasted if they lost against usa but speaking personally I will be devasted to lose against anyone – but isnt that part of being a fan? Please stop reading brain washing media reports and lets do our talking on the pitch and may the best team win – england or not!

• Ethiene Rodriguez says:

I was specifically referring to the SUN’s EASY front page

• Lars Lowther says:

Nobody takes the Sun seriously.

I’m a Canadian, we have our own version of the Sun but the Statement from Yes Minister/Prime Minister says it best.

Who do the Sun readers want to run the country?

The Sun readers don’t care who runs the country as long as she’s got big tits.

It’s the lowest form of media in both countries. It’s absolute tripe and should never be taken seriously.

4. james says:

Yeah, I’m not sure where this is coming from. I read the Guardian daily and they’re not very optimistic. It’s sort of funny, though. The lack of expectations is actually creating the feeling that maybe the team won’t be crushed by anxiety this time around and actually succeed.

5. suckerpunch says:

I personally have seen little evidence of credible English pundits or any players/coaches being arrogant about the US game. No one seems to think the Americans will be a cakewalk at all.
    Where have you seen all these implications of a feeling of arrogance, and nonchalance coming from England?

6. eplnfl says:

My experience with the English media, mostly from online radio and media web sites seems to have the US as well as the rest of the group as pretty lightweight for England to deal with. So, I am on the side of the English fans are expecting the group stage at least to be cakewalk and the first game in the round of 16 to be easy for England.

While the average American may have limited knowledge of the WC as a whole the average Englishman seems to have little concern about the WC until the quater-finals and assume a England victory over the US without any really analysis of the American team. Sure they are favored but not even by as much as they where 3 weeks ago.

7. Kevin says:

Other than the Sun can you point to specific articles or columns in the English press where the USA is presumed to be an easy opponent?

I’m an American and I’d love nothing more than to believe that the English team is getting arrogant and assuming they have a “walkover” coming up on Saturday, but I’ve seen little evidence of this (some England supporters online are a different story, but that means nothing in regard to the team’s attitude).

• Cavan says:

Well said. There will always be blowhards on the Internet and in sports pages in print. We have guys like Tony Kornheiser who hate on the game, they have columnists who spew fluff about the English National Team.

Realistically, I am sure that the England team are treating all
      three group games seriously like the professionals they are.

• eplnfl says:

Go over to the Sky sports website and look at the articles about the US team. All of them seem to start with the question is why is the US not fearing England?

The US players have to explain why we do not. This is just one example. Try listening to BBS 5 Live or Talk Sports Radio and find a caller and a host that does not agree that England will get out of the group or not advance in the knock-out stage. They express doubt about winning the Cup but only when they face Spain or Brazil.

8. hawkinsfootballboots says:

“crash and burn at the world cup”? okay so england have underachieved but reaching the quarter finals 6 times, the semis once and winning it once i wouldnt call that crashing and burning. Anyone looked at the usa’s world cup record? hmmmm…. and to call pro england support arrogance? they are supporting their country both sets of fans will always support the team to win. i dont think america of all places is in any position to accuse anyone in the world of arrogance

• FIRE GUY 19 says:

Hawkinsfootballboots way on making a stupid stupid generalization comment u idiot! Cause everone who is a US citizen is errogant right? Eres un pendejo y espero que seas un hincha de Inglaterra y para que sufras cuando pierda Inglaterra!!! Que buey eres!!! Y arriva las barras y las estrella

• GI Joe says:

Porque hablas así, tonto! Deja de te quedares como un niño solo porque las personas tienen sus opiniones!
        Son sus derechos! Deja de tonterías y habla como un hombre, no como un niño!

• FIRE GUY 19 says:

GI joe, creo que eres inteligente! Pero por si no le eres! Por que demonios te contradices? Si es el derecho de las personas expresar sus opiniones, por que fregados me estas molestando sobre mi opinion! Al caso mi opinion no es valida? Yo en tu pensar no tengo los mismos derechos de opinar? Por que a lo que tu dices estoy en todo mi derecho a hacerlo! So, por que mejor antes de tener una opinion que haga sentido mejor piensas en lo que vas a decir! Y para tu informacion si me molesto cuando la gente hace comentarios ofensivos! Y si tu eres de Estados Unidos y alguien hace un comentario haci te deberia molestar! Por ejemplo, es como decir que todos los latinos son mensos y no merecen derechos! Crees que eso esta bien?Entoces que? Pienso que tu mentalidad es buena pero mejor tu a lo tuyo y y yo a lo mio! .

9. Charles says:

Noone overestimates their nations soccer abilities more than the English. One win in 1966 and a fourth place finish. That puts them what 7th-10th best all time ?
    You would think the way they talk they were about to retire the current trophy like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, and Italy all have a chance to do.

10. Hugh J'Cock says:

This article is an attempt to rile USA fans. Whilst the USA team is not talked about with the same reverence as Brazil, English football pundits have generally been quite tentative about Saturday’s match. As for England fans, apart from being one, I know many that are giving the USA a shot. Whilst it is generally considered that England will finish in the top two, you can’t write any game off at this stage. Everybody already understands that.

11. JIM WHEELIKER says:

Why have you got a picture of the Scottish national team leaving the pitch above an article about England ?

• The Gaffer says:

Jim, good catch. I was looking for a nostalgic black and white image of England, but I couldn’t find a good one, so I used this one which captures the spirit of what I was looking for despite it featuring Scotland, not England.

12. andy says:

great minds think alike! england will fail and il tell you why

13. JIM WHEELIKER says:

Fair point on the picture, (I’ve got a good one of the goal when the US beat England in the 50′s !) I’m English and have been reading the above, (My Spanish is not too good but I gtt the jist)…..The fact is, it is catastrophic for any team to lose the first game in a 4 team group, the pressure is then on to win the last 2 games. A draw will be fine for England tream, but would be disappointing for the England fans, when you compare the players in both teams. The US team is flowing in attack, but that defence does look poor ?
    Please don’t compare “friendly” results, any serious football fan knows they have no meaning anymore (changing the entire team at half time ???). The best team on paper are Spain and they have not exactly been convincing in recent games, but I bet when the real action starts you will see them getting into gear.
    I dopn;t think England will get past the 1/4′s but who knows…once you are in a kncockout , any team can go all the way.
    If England fail, I would like to see the Dutch win…but failing that , I think it would be great to see a team win it who, are not a group poncy multi millionaires detached from the fans and have real pride for their country and shirt….hmmm , thinking about it that could be the US ?
    Lets’s all enjoy the tournamount !

14. Ed says:

This writer has zero credibility.