FRI, 4:25PM ET
WHU
SAT, 10AM ET
SOU
WBA

Monday Premier League Roundup in 232 Characters

darren bent twitter Monday Premier League Roundup in 232 Characters

Because Twitter won’t let me post more than 140 characters, here are my thoughts about the Premier League matches I watched on television Monday:

Sunderland can’t hold on to a lead, Wolves can’t score, Spurs look fast on the break, Bellamy and Tevez are both dynamite when they’re playing together, Darren Bent should start for England, and Fulham looked amazing for 73 minutes.

Did I miss anything? icon wink Monday Premier League Roundup in 232 Characters

11 Responses to Monday Premier League Roundup in 232 Characters

1. ngog says:

If only Fulham would have kept attacking Chelsea, they may have scored a second goal and won. Chelsea was on the ropes early on but when Fulham decided to play defense the whole time after the goal, it was only a matter of time before they would crack.

Second, I’m sick of Drogba being rewarded for his terrible antics. I said early in the game that the problem with him is that he’ll eventually score and he’ll never get any sort of punishment for faking injuries and time-wasting and drawing attention to himself, and sure enough it happened.

However, kudos to John Pantsil who got in Drogba’s face and did what I think everyone should do to Drogba and not let him get away with his crap. It’s sad to watch, really.

• ovalball says:

When I started paying attention to the EPL three years ago I chose Chelsea for my team since I live on Chelsea Circle. However, after a year of watching Drogba’s song and dance routine I quit. He just got under my skin so bad I couldn’t keep pulling for the team. What a machine. What a talent. What an a$$hole……What a shame.

With Craven Street being just a few blocks away I switched to Fulham. Much happier now.

• oliver says:

why do you think Drogba was timewasting? Chelsea were losing for 3/4 of the match and he would specifically run to collect the ball for Fulham to hurry them up.

And what magic powers do you have to know someone elses pain threshold? Are you honestly saying that you aren’t going to feel anything of Pantsil clattering into you at full force?

• ngog says:

A Drogba defender? Did you see the game? He was obviously up to his usual antics and play had to be stopped for him 4-5 times, then he’d run back out on the pitch and get involved in the next play when he had a chance to score. A drama queen. Even Ancelotti was looking over at him while he was on the sideline “getting treatment” thinking “is this guy for real?”

I shouldn’t have said time wasting. I should have said he was wasting everyone’s time.

And I go from watching the guy play for the past several years to know when he is likely acting. Yeah, he got clattered into by Pantsil once, but we’re not talking about a fragile Aquilani-type here.

2. MartinJ says:

I absolutely agree with ngog that Fulham’s strategy was way off. They should have attacked throughout, playing to Chelsea’s weakness at the back. How could they expect to withstand a 90-plus minute siege? What a shame…so near and then nothing to show for it.

• ngog says:

what i didnt understand is that they didnt play this way against United last week and won. you’d think they would apply the same strategy to a team lacking Ivanovich, Cole, and Bosingwa at the back.

3. Tom Hingley says:

Gaffer, interested to hear your views. Did you watch the Wolves game? Pretty fair to say we didn’t deserve to lose 3-0, but what did you make of the way we play etc? Would you maintain we are the worst team in the league?

I think we play some great football, without that cutting goalscoring edge. That said, I still think there are 3/4 worse teams than us, who we will finish above.

• The Gaffer says:

Tom, I was very impressed by Wolves except for one thing: they have no goalscorers up front. As soon as they went down 1-0 to City, I knew Wolves wouldn’t score and it was only a matter of time before City would score again.

Wolves did well keeping possession and passing the ball around, but they never looked dangerous going forward. They need a strong striker who can rip through the middle of opposition defenses. Kevin Doyle is not that man. I loved him at Reading, but he’s not the striker he used to be. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake is not that man either.

Let’s hope they can find someone in January who can fit the bill.

Based on their performance from Monday night, they don’t look like the worst team in the Premier League. But coupled with the fact that they’re having difficulty scoring, they’ll end up being the worst team. Portsmouth, as a comparison, look much more dangerous going forward.

• Eric T says:

I think they may have looked better had Milijas (or however it’s spelled) was playing. He’s arguably the most talented player on the team and they just seemed to lack that final incisive move which he could have provided. Plus, he’s quality from set pieces.

4. Tom Hingley says:

I have to disagree with you about Kevin Doyle. He has been fantastic this season. With albeit limited service he has done as much if not more as anyone could have expected. Yes, he is never going to bash his way through defences in the manner of say Pompey’s forwards, but as far as touch, awareness etc go, he is the best Wolves player since Robbie Keane.

I take your point on Ebanks-Blake though, we are waiting for him to find his Premier League feet. He has been sensational over the last two seasons, but I think he needs to adapt his game a little to suit the Premier League, where defenders are much more savvy than the Championship.

Fortunately, I think Mick will be given money to spend, so there is still plenty chance of us staying up. If we do stay up, I think then we will kick-on and remain in the top flight for years. We have an owner who wants to achieve European football.

A quick word on Molineux and the Wolves fans. 98.6% attendance this year, with on the most-part, fantastic atmospheres (Monday night was up there with the best). I guess that is why Wolves fans are bitter when we see teams such as Bolton, Wigan etc with more coverage – despite having terrible attendances and being extremely lacking in support (& history!). Wolves could fill a 38,000 seater regularly, and push 45,000 for the biggest games.

Stats here: http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/attend.html

Sorry for the Wolves related rant. I just feel the need to balance the lack of coverage we receive. I feel there is a lot of ignorance about us from non-UK supporters, which I want to set straight!

• ovalball says:

I watched the whole match and have to say I was amazed at the noise and support from the fans even toward the end. No let-up.

You do have a great atmosphere!