MON, 3PM ET
OLY
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV
MAL

DC United’s Stadium Dreams Are Dead in Prince George’s County

120px DCUnited DC Uniteds Stadium Dreams Are Dead in Prince Georges County
This is the time where I have to take off my Red Bull NY hat and start looking at Major League Soccer as a whole. You have heard me discuss and report that all levels of US Pro Soccer clubs need their own stadiums to help with that particular discussion on Pro/Rel and to stop paying rent for using facilities that they can’t control the revenue for. Well sadly for the greatest club in Major League Soccer DC United just got shut down for construction of a brand new Stadium along a DC/MD/VA Metro subway line. But here is the thing that is disgusting in my eyes. After all the pomp & circumstance that the heads of DC United did to announce they were going to get this done, the County board of Prince George’s in Maryland decided to halt the vote to go ahead and start building to create a study to see if this would work out.

But then the study was voted down and it sounded like that would be it for DC United’s stadium plan. How is it possible that a club like DC United who has been supported so well from Maryland, the District & in Northern Virginia all of a sudden nobody wants to help them build a stadium? RFK Stadium is on land from the Army as there is an Armory built next to it & the people who are running the former stadium of the Washington Redskins are consuming tons and tons of money from DC United. It’s easy when the former Montreal Expos wanted to play in our Nations Capital and they got their own Baseball Stadium as the Nationals. The Washington Capitals & Washington Bullets/Wizards got a downtown stadium inside the district and the Redskins got FedEx Field, moved out of RFK and took over Landover, Maryland which is just along the beltway loop. So why is it that DC United isn’t so lucky like these other pro sports sides in the main four sports leagues in our country?

There maybe strong support for this club that has won four MLS Cup titles, two US Open Cup titles, and countless others in Supporter shields, CONCACAF Champions Cup & Inter America Cup, but once they take off their DC United kits and puts on their political suits & or dresses. They won’t lift a finger to help their club and at the same time not helping the US National Team create a brand new home for friendly matches & World Cup Qualifiers.

Yes we need to keep DC United in the league before something drastic really happens, like relocation to another city or region that will take them and build a stadium for them. Commissioner Don Garber needs the health of the league to be strong and I’m not talking about Expansion sides coming in for the next two or three seasons. He needs to help one of their original sides, get their own grounds. The Popular Point area that is close to the Washington Nationals Stadium was the perfect place to stay in the district. But Mayor Fenty just didn’t want any business with Soccer as he was glowing with his grand tour of the Nationals new ballpark (By the way, it looks like crap when it’s modeled after a future version of RFK Stadium).

It sounds like frustration has settled in with everyone who supports the club and in all honesty, I really feel bad for them. While DC United is my big rival in MLS in all seriousness, we need them to stay in DC and we need them to get their own stadium to help themselves, help our league in MLS & a big home field advantage for our US National Team. If these people who are supposed to be our political leaders and say they support the needs of the club & then turn around to say no, then they just wasted the supporters time as well as the front office’s time trying to get this project passed and built.

I have to say that I am thankful that Red Bull Arena is halfway finished and will be the best stadium in all of MLS as well as US pro soccer, but there is still plenty more to do. As I have said in the stadium department all clubs need their own grounds and when that happens, everything will be hunky dory.  Since the stadiums in Philadelphia & Kansas City are already starting to pound wood pillars into the ground for support, DC United is still having their pockets sucked out by a giant vacum cleaner that is called RFK Stadium.

This entry was posted in DC United, Leagues: Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to DC United’s Stadium Dreams Are Dead in Prince George’s County

1. Mitch Howard says:

Daniel,
    I went to a game at RFK last year, it was a great venue, people were pumped up, 20,000 in attendance aganist KC on a Summer’s night. Why can’t a situation be worked out there?

2. Lars says:

Rent is too high. DC would be profitable if it didn’t have to pay rent to play in its home stadium.

3. Mitch Howard says:

how much is it to buy that stadium?, what else is it being used for?

4. Cavan says:

Mitch, that stadium is not for sale. It is on Federally owned land. It was built in 1960 and is literally starting to crumble. Because of the way Congress wrote the legislation back in the 1950′s, RFK is to be torn down as soon as it is no longer occupied. The land reverts to the National Park Service. The city was tasked by the Federal Government to manage the stadium. However, the city does not own it. They have no power over it other than managing it.

RFK was built in the mid-century Brutalist architectural style. It is made almost entirely out of poured concrete. Therefore, it would be more expensive for anyone to renovate than to destroy it and build a new one.

From a behind the badge post from Kevin Payne on 2/24:

“RFK Stadium is nearly 50 years old and simply cannot work for a professional sports team in the modern era. The basic infrastructure of the stadium is badly in need of repair, but the costs are prohibitive.
    The majority of Major League Soccer teams play in soccer-specific stadiums, which are the appropriate size and include suites, club seats, and high-level hospitality areas. RFK has none of these amenities.
    Former RFK Stadium tenants playing in the NFL and MLB have already left for newer facilities. “

5. Thomas Skull says:

Thank you Daniel for writing the story because I am sure Kartik would have blamed the Washington Post as he did earlier in the week.

6. dude says:

DEAR GOD IN HELL, WE DESERVE A STADIUM!

A pox on those who voted against it, a plague on the hypocrites who bent over backwards for the Nationals then turned miser on the cities most vibrant club! I am mad as hell, and I don’t know who knows it !!!

(I’m a DC fan. Can you tell?)

7. Cavan says:

Thomas Skull, Kartik was calling a spade a spade. If anything he was too soft. Local columnist Mark Fisher told another lie about DC United in a column about baseball.

8. Daniel Feuerstein says:

No problem at all Thomas. I have to tell you that I understand what DC fans are going thru and thankfully on my end this is the final season at Giants Stadium for Red Bull NY. Can’t wait to see Red Bull Arena for next year, but still, all clubs in MLS & USL needs to build their own stadiums to make these problems go away. This will take plenty of time unfortunatly but when it does happen, then everything will be right in the world.

9. Lars says:

The fact that DC won’t build a 20,000-30,000 seater for DC United is despicable.

Garber is right to suggest to move the team in order to mobilize the active fanbase to keep the team, but ultimately the team needs to stay in DC.

10. Hail to the Redskins says:

Hey Lars… despicable? Are you kidding me? What fucking responsibility is it of the government to build a plastic, rinky-dink stadium for you team? I can’t believe you called it “despicable”! The government is there for the welfare of the people, and that does NOT include building some little shit arena for a bunch of foreigners and computer nerds. Especially during these lean economic times. I can’t believe that you want the taxpayers’ hard earned dollars to be WASTED on some team that NOBODY cares about!!

For having the sense of entitlement that you do, YOU are the one who’s despicable.

11. Lars says:

Some team nobody cares about. Except they’ve won more hardware than any other DC area pro team in history. Screw the Redskins, and screw the Expos (because that’s who they really are and I will always call them that).

Lean economic times mean the government should be SPENDING money, not saving it. SPENDING money is how you get out of a recession. When the government shouldn’t be building stadiums is in times of prosperity, when they should be planning ahead for rough times where they have to spend.

12. Hail to the Redskins says:

Lars, you are an idiot. Where is this hardware you speak of? How come no one knows about it? When you think of DC sports, you think of Joe Gibbs, Doug Williams dropping 35 points on Denver in a single quarter, Mark Rypien dismantling the Buffalo Bills in the Metrodome. THAT’S REAL hardware, the Vince Lombardi trophy. I don’t know what rinky-dink, 2-bit hardware your team has earned and neither does anybody who MATTERS in DC.

If you said screw the redskins to my face, you’d get a black eye. You act all tough behind a keyboard don’t you?

The Nationals outdrew your “dc united” team in the few years they shared the same stadium. And now they’ve moved on to a better, state of the art stadium while ur team languishes. That just shows you which team is more important in the hearts and minds of Washingtonians.

Again, how can you compare winning a 10-team minor league (which was the size of dc united’s league when they won those little cups) to winning a 28 team MAJOR league, which is what the Redskins did. Man, you are stupid.

And to suggest wasting $$$ on a new “specific” stadium is good for the economy? Are you retarded? You must be.

It’s people like you who motivate me to get involved in the political process to shut out wasteful endeavors like ponying up $$ for an irrelevant team.

I hope you and your “team” get out of my AMERICAN town.

13. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Hail to the Redskins. If this stuff is for computer nerds, then what the hell are you doing over here, nerd. Enjoy the expensive ticket for the Redskins pre-season camp by Daniel Snyder.

14. Tom says:

How much would it cost for DC to just shear off the top deck of RFK and remodel what’s left?

It’s always bothered me how stadiums nowadays last about thirty to forty years before they’re torn to bits and the team moved all the way across town.

15. Redskins Fan says:

Arsenal: You don’t even know how to spell the word “retarded”. You’re the retarded one, lad. Plus, were 4 posts necessary? You could have said all of your nonsense in 1 post. You’re not too bright , are ya?

@Daniel: Just take a look at the typical crowd at dc united games. You’ll never see a bigger bunch of dorks, geeks and spazzes. Thick glasses and beer guts (or should I say chocolate milk guts, since I doubt any of those losers’ mothers let them drink). Try to tell me I’m wrong, and I’ll find a youtube clip to prove my point.

You go to a ‘Skins game, what do you see? True Americans. Strong, beautiful people. The upper crust of society. People who matter. dc united fans are mostly socially inept rejects. Go to a game and you will see.

Ok, Snyder is a greedy bastard. I won’t argue that point. But that’s irrelevant to this discussion. This thread is about tax $$ going to dc “united” (wth kind of a name for a sports team is that?).

BTW, Jim Rome is always spot on.

16. Go Hogs! says:

BTW, Jim Rome is always spot on.

17. Daniel Feuerstein says:

To go Hogs: I think you just out did the DC insults from my fellow NY fans. DAMN! Are you really a NY fan in disguise? ;-)

18. Martin says:

Keep the Expos, give us United…!!

19. Joey Clams says:

A couple of things.

“Hate” is now used all to frequently. Give it a rest, huh? Not all contempt and disdain of frustration is hateful.

America was founded not by immigrants but by settlers. There is a difference; go figure it out.

HTTR may have been overwrought but he has a point. You may feel that DCU deserves respect but it’s not getting it. That’s a fact. Then, observers sympathetic to DCU lash out and question the intellect of those not on board with them. They talk of immigrant rallies. They try to shame people into embracing their team and sport.

Guess what, guys. That gets old.

You can argue all you want. I want you to have your stadium. But the fact is that you’re not getting the stadium and now you think that you’re intellectually superior to everyone.

DC United does not have the juice that the Redskins have and probably never will. I can understand why your claims to the contrary offend.

20. Joey Clams says:

Carpal tunnel, fellas. Forgive the typos.

21. Hail to the Redskins says:

First off, sorry for the double post. I thought the 1st one didn’t go thru.

@Daniel: Hell no I’m not a NY fan! Fuck New York! They eliminated us in the 1987 playoffs to go on to the SuperBowl. I haven’t forgotten that. Plus, in my lifetime, we were tied at 2 SB’s a piece. Then they broke that tie in 2008. I hate New England too, but still. Fuck New York.

@IrishCR: Why the hell do you post as “Arsenal” in 1 post, then as “IrishCR” in another? Do you have multiple personality disorder? You’re weird, man.

It’s not nerdy to point out the hypocrisy of someone who doesn’t know how to spell the word “retarded”, then accuses another of being retarded. You keep making a fool of yourself, man.

Hey, if the Brave Bar has a problem with me, I can get a ton of Hog fans to help me beat the living shit out of THEM. So don’t even think they would have a chance against Redskin fans. They are nothing.

You’re wrong again, I’ m not a redneck. I probably have a better education than you. No ‘Skins fan is inbred. We are ALL respectable Americans. You only wish you were one of us. Jim Rome rules over you, so shut your face.

You didn’t make ANY points. Unless Lars is another one of your aliases. He’s the one who made me respond to his stupid post. Reread the thread, idiot.

You’re the retard and you’re NOT entertaining.

Joey was right. The Hogs will ALWAYS be WAY more important than your “united” team. (what a stupid name for a sports team. “united” is an ADJECTIVE, not a noun. I think the word they wanted to use was “union”, but they didn’t have a full grasp of the English language. And now the name has stuck. Sad.)

Anyway, the reason I’m on this site is because I was very ANTI-funding for a new stadium for your little team. So I googled dc united PG county. And this was one of the results. Got it?

By the way, now that I discovered this site, I can’t help but laugh at all the other threads where you all worry about the survival of your league. Hahaha, I’m so glad my league will NEVER have to worry about that.

22. Lars says:

The only reason why the NFL never will have to worry about folding is that there’s only two professional football leagues in the world. It’s really easy to be the best when only two countries have pro football leagues.

Soccer is the world’s sport. And you love to tout the Americanness of football. You’re right, America is the best at a game that only two countries play. A certain vocal minority of Americans, such as yourself, boast about how great the US is at sports, but can’t stand the fact that it isn’t the best at the world’s game. If the US won the world cup, of course, soccer would no longer be a woman’s game, and you would be a bandwagon jumper.

The only reason that this vocal minority accuses the game of being unamerican is because they are afraid of facing the fact that quite possibly the US isn’t the best at everything.

Thankfully, the vast majority of Americans are not as backwards or as isolationist as you are. Most don’t know much about the world’s game because they’ve been fed crap by sports networks, and the one’s that do are anything but backwards or isolationist.

Of course, its no different than the same vocal minority in my country that thinks hockey is the only sport in the world. The majority don’t know anything about the world’s game here as well, because again, they’re fed crap by the media which caters to the vocal minority, like american media does.

23. Cavan says:

Why do you even waste your time? If you hate our game so much, why don’t you just go away rather than trolling? I guess you just enjoy saying stupid stuff on blog comments? OK. fair enough. There are many like you.

I had something to say about the post but it’s gone now. I’ll just say one thing, HTTR, how would you feel if the Redskins were in a lousy stadium situation and were in danger of being moved? How did all those Baltimore Colts fans feel back in the ’80s when the Colts left Baltimore? It was over something similar: a stadium. You know, the Redskins were really close to a similar fate 10-15 years ago. Why do you think the Redskins now play in Landover rather than in the District? They went through the same protracted stadium fight with multiple DC mayors. They had to leave RFK for similar reasons as United: money. They got lucky in that the Cap Center was closing at the time and the Prince George’s government was more open to a new stadium. This current council wouldn’t approve any stadium, regardless of who pays, mostly because the experience with FedEx has soured their appetite for stadiums.

Yes, the Redskins are the highest profile pro sports team in town. That has nothing to do with their stadium situation. Avoiding the fate the United is going througn now was luck and being in the right place at the right time more than anything else. That does not make you any less of a troll for coming on a soccer blog and spewing idiocy about soccer and its fans. I can’t stop you from trolling since I’m behind a keyboard just like you. However, I do hope you enjoy it. I suppose someone enjoys it. Otherwise you wouldn’t do it so much.

24. The Great Attila says:

This Hail to the Redskins guy is exactly the reason I switched over to being a Baltimore Ravens fan. I guarantee you the Skins will never win anything with Danny boy Snyder as the owner.

Now to the stadium, the sad part is I am starting to come to the conclusion that DC United will be shipped out of the area in the the next two years. Stadiums never get built in this area, even the Nationals had a hard time getting the approval of the District to get their stadium built. You would think that the only DC area team that has actually WON A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THIS AND THE LAST DECADE would get some consideration for a new stadium. Leave it to local politics to screw this up. I’m actually hoping that if DC United does get moved, move them to Baltimore. I have a feeling that Baltimore might actually support a soccer team, there is the Baltimore Blast after all (even if it is indoor soccer).

25. Zoti says:

I used to get pissed by pathetic posters like HTTR but nowadays I get great joy out of it. It’d be such a waste of my time if I even spent a few seconds hating on a sport on an internet blog dedicated to said sport. This takes being a loser to a whole new level.
    As a New Yorker I hate DC United but I felt like I had to stand up for their fans in the face of such stupidity.

26. Hail to the Redskins says:

Lars, you’re a moron. People don’t like your sport because of the media? WRONG. God, you’re stupid. Your sport is for the brain-dead. Your sport is too simple. Where’s the strategy? I know there is strategy in your sport, but not as much as in mine. My sport is for people with active brains, who need the stimulation of all the options available to offensive and defensive coordinators. EVERY person that chooses my sport over yours HAS been exposed to yours. We just choose one that requires more brainpower to follow, otherwise we’d get bored. If we were sloths, then America’s game would be too complicated for us. Then we’d join your ranks.

No, I would NEVER be a bandwagon jumper. You’re acting like a child. Not surprising, considering your sport of choice. There is a website out there dedicated to proving the inferiority of your sport. Google it.

Just re-read your post so maybe you can see your stupidity.

@Irish: Yes, name-calling is very childish. it’s better to stick to the issues at hand. Your team did not deserve tax $$$ and I am happy as hell you will not get it. I will continue to make my voice heard politically so that there won’t be wasteful spending in government. Washington DC already has a firmly established sports culture. No need for extra crap.

Come out to FedEx (if you can afford it) and you’ll see that we ARE very respectable, smart people. Goes hand-in-hand with the sport we follow.

@Cavan: If you’d read the thread, you’d see that I explained why I was here. I was commenting on the stadium issue but now I’ve been pulled into a flame-war. Tell your little friends here to grow up.

Yes, you’re right about our stadium issue. But I do feel we were more than just lucky. The Hogs are the lifeblood of this town. Don’t you remember 1988 and 1992? Anyway, thank the Good Lord the Redskins prevailed and dc united did not. (I still cant help but laugh at ur team’s name)

@Attila: Despite Snyder, please don’t betray the Skins. If you are not a Baltimoran, don’t root on the Browns, err Ravens. You would disgust me if you’d give up on the Hogs. Now THAT is being a bandwagoner.

@Zoti. More childishness, huh. YOU are the one who’s fucking pathetic. You dis me for hating your sport, then you say you hate dc united. Practice what you preach, loser.

Anyway, I don’t need to point out how irrelevant your league is. And thank God for that. The good ole US of A was not built by people who sing “oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh” (yeah, I’ve seen what you do at your games). USA is a nation of thinkers and doers. Complex minds who create great things and expect suitable entertainment. NOT what your league offers. The sooner the dc uniteds leave DC, the better.

And check out the site I mentioned. Just google the name of your sport, then “sucks”.

27. Mitch Howard says:

The Redskins have won 3 Super Bowls, if memory serves. They won with 3 different starting quarterbacks.

28. Hail to the Redskins:

Can you explain why on most college campuses the more intellectual people follow Basketball and the frat boys who do nothing but drink and chase girls love throw ball or football as you incorrectly label it?

Why are the better schools like Georgetown in your neck of the woods, Duke, North Carolina, UVA,etc more Basketball oriented while the big state schools of the south like Alabama, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Georgia more football oriented?

I reject the intellectual argument totally. More intellectual and open minded Americans such as my self prefer Basketball to throw ball. Go to the Oklahoma campus and check out the difference between those who attend basketball games and those who attend Bob Stoops throwball team games. Go to my alma mater the University of Florida and check out the difference in intellect between the basketball and football crowd. Do the same at Maryland in your area or Virginia Tech down the road from you a bit. You’ll find the basketball fans more cultured, more intellectual and generally more gentle and confident as people.

I don’t know about soccer as you call it, and football as I call it. It has universal appeal abroad from very intellectual and successful people. Throw ball on the other hand can’t win over even the smallest segment of the international community.

But perhaps you are a racist like George Preston Marshall who only signed Bobby Mitchell after public and political pressure became so great in believing being American somehow makes you superior. I too believe in American exceptional ism and throw ball if anything refutes that theory so I reject it as much as I can.

29. Lars says:

I’d just like to point out that the Sport of “Throwball” is a Canadian invention too. If anything, it’s unamerican to be a Throwball fan…

30. The Great Attila says:

Let’s put it this way, I find every sport I like to be unique in its own way. Football is a great sport to watch because it great stylized violence. Before you ask, yes I’ve been to Redskins games in BOTH RFK and FedEx Field. I also like ice hockey too, its like soccer, only with sticks, a puck, and gliding on ice (I’ve been a Capitals fan since 1990). Oh yeah and substitutions on the fly, which soccer should think about instituting. BTW, didn’t Barra Brava show up at a Caps game a few years ago? I’d love to see and be a part of that (at a hockey game no less). Baseball I’ve got a passing interest in, but I do follow the Nationals. The NBA really isn’t worth my time since its basically become way too ghetto for my taste. Soccer is a game I’ve followed since my uncle got me into Fenerbahce when I was 6 or 7 years old (you can guess my ethnic background from that). I follow auto racing because I find the combination of man and machine working in tandem to be faster than the other drivers appealing. That and great crashes too. Hell I sometimes watch Australian football if it comes on, its actually really interesting.

Sure DC is a football town, there’s no question about that. But, the last time the Redskins won the Super Bowl was 1991. The last time DC United won the MLS Cup was 2004. I would venture to think that the team that has actually won something in this millennium should at least get some consideration. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the soccer team did move out of town. As for the Ravens, I was born in Baltimore and I was attending UMBC when they went to the Super Bowl in the 2000 season (which would make it 2001), plus I have very good friends that I’ve made while I was in Baltimore that I still keep in touch with. So me being a Ravens fan shouldn’t concern you.

And I still will say, the Redskins will never win a Super Bowl with Dan Snyder as the owner. I try to find ways to love the Skins (they were the first football team I liked), but it seems as though they are the perfect example of what happens when the owner acts like a fan instead of a sports executive. His attitude has nearly turned me off to the Skins, and it seems that the only way that I can get back to loving the Skins again is if Snyder stops interfering with team business or sells the team.

31. Hail to the Redskins says:

Mitch: I know that. I said in my lifetime. Learn to read.

Kartick: Yes, racism does deter people from enjoying college basketball and the NBA game. But dude, you’re generalizing way too much. Both basketball and “throwball” (hahaha, that’s a good 1. I like that) have intellectuals among them and fools as well. The intellectuals like the strategy of both games. The fools just like the hard hits and the slam dunks. But you can’t stereotype the entire throwball community with a couple of college slugs who get drunk all day, then call daddy for more beer money. I’d say the percentage of intellectuals among basketball fans and America’s game would be: 35% basketball, 70% throwball.

If you look at the interests of the average CEO and prominent politician, you will see they are fans of the gridiron. Many are hoops fans too, but more are throwball fans. And even less are fans of the sport discussed in this forum. I’d say about 40% of those people are intellectual (yes, more than basketball).

Anyway, my point was to that fool who blamed the media for the lack of interest in your game. It isn’t the media, as I said before. It’s people who need more of a mental stimulation when watching sports. You will see that fans of my game are also into political thrillers and wartime strategies as well. Your game just doesn’t do it for us.

Lars: I will call it America’s game, regardless.

Atilla: Who is this “Brave Bar” you keep referring to? A group of day laborers?

I’ve never heard of the Febernaches, so I can’t guess your ethnicity.

No, winning a rinky dink cup in this millenium doesn’t entitle the dc uniters to anything. Hell, I bet you the Redskins can beat them at their own sport, they just have better things to do instead.

Yes, I remember the 2001 Super Bowl with Britney Spears and Aerosmith at halftime. Ray Lewis well deserved that ring.

Join the Redskins forum, there are MANY threads about Snyder over there. They’d appreciate your input on the matter.

Anyway, idk. I never really hated the sport discussed here, but when I come across it on TV and hear those weirdos singing “oh-oh oh-oh oh-oh”, I gotta admit, it’s pretty disturbing. Definitely not my cup of tea. But to each his own. Just don’t get taxpayer money involved.

32. Chris Riordan says:

HTTR : Fair enough … believe me we’re not all saying that we want to put the stadium only on tax payers. A lot of us have gripes with the MLS comssioner, as DC United is the most successful franchise in MLS history, and he hasn’t done much at all to help us, instead focusing on expanding the league. Believe me, this situation is unusual for me … I hate arguing with Redskins fans. I’ll reiterate, I love soccer(football, whatever you wanna call it). I like most sports, and my all time favorite franchise is the Redskins. I was raised as a Skins fan, my first year watching, we won the Super Bowl in ‘91, the big game was on my brother’s birthday … Jan. 26. I’ll always remember my brother thinking they won for him as a present … he was only 8. Every sport has it’s merits, Ithink. Actually, I only began watching soccer the last several years. Both games involve strategy in different ways. A lot of people in Europe, just don’t understand the American football. But believe me, their is a LOT of strategy in soccer, on the fly strategy. You have to think and react quickly, there’s a lot of creativity involved. Plus there is no timeouts, so players run for 45 min. halves, with no break. That takes great stamina, and it’s amazing what people can do with their feet while running at full speed, the coordination it takes.

33. T C says:

Folks, It has nothing to do with the amount of victories or championships the team has earned. It has to do with improving / increasing the tax base of DC. At this point, a soccer stadium will not impact, even remotely, the D.C. economy. The revenue is simply not there (when comparing to the Redskins or the Wizards, especially when the Wizards are playing in a new revitalized area around Gallery Place that has had a huge impact on local business, and, more importantly, the tax base / revenues for D.C.).

Seriously, this has nothing to do with goals, victories, championships, or whether people come from VA and MD into DC to support the team. Instead, it has to do with DC finances.

Also, I sent an email to Kevin Payne telling him I would never go to another DC game if the stadium moved to PG county. This team belongs in DC. DC United, from a business perspective, needs to do a better job at selling their investment / future to the DC government. The management of this team has gone down hill since the time when they decided to bring on Peter Novak.