ABC will broadcast its first-ever German Bundesliga match – FC Bayern München vs. Borussia Dortmund – on Saturday, March 6 at 12 p.m. ET as part of ESPN’s unprecedented English and Spanish-language coverage of German soccer’s latest “Der Klassiker” rivalry game. In addition to ABC, the Bayern-Dortmund match from Allianz Arena in Munich will stream live on ESPN+, the U.S. home for Bundesliga matches, and will air live on ESPN Deportes.
FC Bayern München and Borussia Dortmund are the two most successful clubs in German soccer along with FC Bayern holding all six titles currently available to them including Club World Cup. They have combined to win the last 11 league titles, with FC Bayern – the 2020 UEFA Champions League champion – winning nine times, including the past eight seasons. Dortmund has won twice over the past decade-plus while finishing runner-up five times to FC Bayern. The recent success of both clubs has catapulted “Der Klassiker” (known as the German Clasico) to one of global football’s top rivalries.
Led by Poland forward Robert Lewandowski – the 2020 FIFA Player of the Year – and Canadian midfielder Alphonso Davies (Lou Marsh Trophy holder), FC Bayern currently sits atop the Bundesliga standings. Dortmund features Norwegian forward Erling Haaland and American teenage soccer sensation Giovanni Reyna.
Star Cam Feed – Gio Reyna and Alphonso Davies
Surround coverage of Der Klassiker will include Star Cam feed, a live stream focused solely on in-game action of the two North American stars – Dortmund’s Gio Reyna (USA) and FC Bayern’s Alphonso Davies (Canada) – in the match. Sebastian Salazar and Herculez Gomez will handle commentary on the feed, available exclusively on ESPN+.
Der Klassiker Match Commentators
• ABC: Derek Rae (play-by-play), analyst Taylor Twellman
• ESPN Deportes: Fernando Palomo (play-by-play), analyst Mario Kempes
• ESPN+ English/Spanish: Rae and Twellman; Palomo and Kempes
• Star Cam: Sebastian Salazar and Herculez Gomez
• Studio Coverage: English – Kay Murray (host), Juergen Klinsmann and Jan Aage Fjortoft (analysts), and Archie Rhind-Tutt (on-site reporter).
• Der Klassiker Pregame: ABC’s coverage will begin at 12 noon
• ESPN FC: Kay Murray will host a 30-minute pregame show with analysts Juergen Klinsmann and Jan Aage Fjortoft. Archie Rhind-Tutt will report from Munich. Throughout the week, ESPN FC will feature segments on Der Klassiker, available exclusively on ESPN+ (weekdays, 8 p.m.)
• ESPN Deportes: Futbol Center pregame at 11 a.m. will kick off daytime coverage of Der Klassiker through postgame edition of SportsCenter
Der Klassiker: A Rivalry like no Other – Exclusive on ESPN+
While proximity or socio-political divisions fuel most soccer rivalries, Der Klassiker is driven by FC Bayern München and Borussia Dortmund’s recent history as two of the most successful clubs in Germany and Europe.
Narrated by ESPN’s lead Bundesliga commentator Derek Rae, Der Klassiker: A Rivalry like no Other takes viewers on a journey from the 1960s when the Bundesliga was founded in Dortmund until today. In addition, the documentary explores some of the most defining matches of the rivalry in the Bundesliga, the DFB-Pokal and the UEFA Champions League. The program will be available to stream on ESPN+ leading up to Der Klassiker match day.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season