Out of favor Sunderland defender Phil Bardsley has gotten himself into more hot water after joking about his club’s defeat at home against Fulham on the opening day of the season.
Bardsley, who infamously passed out on the floor of a local casino as his friends scattered £50 notes all over him just days before his final game of the 2012-13 season, hit out on Instagram against his club this past weekend, by posting a comment (using his Instagram account Bardoman26) that read:
“Great opening day. Hahahhahaha hahahhaha!!!”
See screenshot below:
Bardsley’s Instagram account has since been deleted. The English-born defender, who has been capped 12 times by Scotland, has 148 league appearances under his belt since joining the Black Cats in 2008 from Manchester United. But ever since the casino fiasco, the player has fallen out of favor with Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio. Bardsley has been training with the Sunderland under-21 squad and hasn’t been given a shirt number this season.
Sunderland were hoping to offload the player in the summer transfer window. That is until he broke his foot last week playing for the u-21 side.
Here are today’s world soccer news headlines:
- Sunderland’s Bardsley in hot water over Instagram text —Sunderland Echo
- Arsenal bid £20m for Pogba according to reports — ITV
- Arsenal should forget about signing strikers, their problems begin at the back says Alan Hansen — Telegraph
- St James’ Park gates return home to Newcastle United — Newcastle Chronicle
- Behind the scenes of NBC Sports’ English Premier League soccer debut — Philly.com
- NBC Sports president of programming Jon Miller on the network’s Premier League debut — Philly.com
- Assessing the title contenders from the relegation specials in the footballing pastry world — The Pie Pundit
- Kevin de Bruyne can shine brightly for Chelsea this season — The Telegraph
- Real Madrid fear Gareth Bale deal will be delayed — Metro
- Arsene Wenger sizes up £35m bid for Swansea pair Michu and Ashley Williams — Evening Standard
- Liverpool transfers: Tiago Ilori interest renewed as Sporting Lisbon defender refuses to sign new contract — Mirror
Scottish Professional Football League
The Daily Soccer Report is your morning guide to the latest world soccer news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.