FOX Soccer Daily Temporarily Off The Air As Execs Evaluate Show, Says Source

fox soccer daily FOX Soccer Daily Temporarily Off The Air As Execs Evaluate Show, Says Source

FOX Soccer Daily, FOX’s daily soccer news show that launched August 19, has temporarily been taken off the air for 4-6 weeks so FOX executives can evaluate the format and talent in order to determine what changes are needed to improve the ratings, according to a World Soccer Talk source close to the show.

Hosted by Julie Stewart-Binks, who is joined by Warren Barton, Brian McBride and Eric Wynalda, the show has suffered from poor ratings since it launched in the summer. FOX moved the time of the show from early evening to 3:30pm ET weekdays, but the earlier time hasn’t helped improve interest in the show.

During the week of December 16-22, FOX Soccer Daily’s average viewing audience was 35,200, which is only slightly more than the average of 31,750 viewers who viewed the show in August, the program’s first month of broadcast.

Compared to ESPN FC, the rival soccer show that is continuing to broadcast during the holiday break, ESPN’s daily soccer show averaged 85,666 viewers during December 16-22.

A spokesperson for FOX Sports declined to comment regarding the report.

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Daily, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to FOX Soccer Daily Temporarily Off The Air As Execs Evaluate Show, Says Source

1. San Fransiscan says:

Two words Exec’s — Wynalda and Barton. There you go.

2. Steve says:

The show is absolutely awful. Amateurish chatter, poor highlights, no meaningful insight and just plain dull. NBC has upped the level of soccer coverage and Fox is lagging behind.

• cheeky says:

Binks is a helluva lot easier on the eyes than ol schoolmarm Rebecca Lowe, though. Some of Rebecca’s hausfrau on sunday outfits, laughable. And then, the days when her hair looks freshly rolled out of some Boots-bought curlers? Howls of derision.

3. Morocco Mole says:

No surprise to see FOX cut this show to save money. 30,000 viewers is nowhere good enough for the show to survive on FS1.

Good riddance.

4. John says:

The analysis here is quite poor. I remember after the spurs/liverpool match they were saying the sacking of AVB was justified since “just because you were an assistant to Mourinho does not make you Mourinho.” Yet the manager who had just defeated him (Rodgers) was also a part of the Mourinho coaching tree. There are many more examples of this but the professionalism and quality of the show are lacking. NBC has really showed FOX up on this one.

5. Marc says:

Bring back Steven Cohen and Fox Football phone in.

• andrew says:

Now talk about amateurish. Cohen was a blabbering fool. However, there analysis was deep and the time allotted allowed that. They made fox soccer daily with only 30 minutes alotted the exact opposite. In my opinion they should simply kept the one hour nightly show on fox with Bobby mCmahon. There was no reason to deviate from that format.

6. TiLoBrown says:

But Fox Football Daily will still air? Even during the off season, right? These important questions must be answered!!

7. sucka99 says:

Why would they think that moving the show from 4 pm to 3:30 pm would increase ratings compared to ESPN FC? Games are still being played at 4 and at 3:30. If you want people to be able to watch and for the content to be relevant, put it on at night even if it’s on FS2. They’re a day late with most meaningful stories.

And yeah, then you can address the idiots on the show. Wynalda has been spouting nonsense since back on FFF. The other guys are decent #2 analysts I guess but you need to go get someone good to replace Wynalda. He is awful. A better host might also help.

8. Hoops Fan says:

Are all of the people who comment here NBC employees? NBCSN doesn’t even have a daily soccer show.
    I like that FSD discusses the sport in general, and isn’t afraid to talk about matches/events that Fox doesn’t carry.

• Tayo says:

Yes I agree with you that NBCSN does not have a daily soccer show but that does not mean we should be content with the mediocre content we are getting from FOX! Yes they are not afraid to talk about matches/events but let me ask you this, how many times a week do you watch it? How often have you been able to notice the fact that the guys on the show are just not up to the task? How many times have you noticed that the overall coverage is below par? The timing is also wrong, actually very wrong. People are at work when the show is aired. I watch it when I get home from work, I have only seen it live once and that was because I was working from home. Look the whole show needs a complete overhaul, the only thing working for them is the hot lady. Maybe she can replace Rebecca on NBCSN lol

9. Len F says:

It says something that FOX’s daily show, which has had the Champions League rights to serve as a lead-in for dozens of weekdays already is being emphatically outdrawn by ESPN which has no club soccer rights to speak of. The FOX show has little natural chemistry between the talent and is much more limited in their depth and breadth of coverage. The chemistry aspect is the real back-breaker for a daily show and will be the most difficult to address.

• Rascal says:

This show needed more time to develop. S-B is beautiful and yet seemed out of her depth with socccer. The guys were good enough, but the Old FOX SOCCER NEW which ran for an hour oon Fox Soccer Channel was much better.

Figure this out FOX! You removed Sky Sports and the Soccer Channel, now its impossible to see most alternative soccer to EPL. The were over twenty FA Cup matches last week and yiou could be repeating them overnight, andl the Champions League could be see late. We use DVRs now so air time means nothing!

Get it together… because NBC and ESPN are much better.

10. Smokey Bacon says:

Fox is all silly graphics and useless punditry no matter what sport. It’s not just their soccer coverage. Throwball and baseball are terrible too.

11. Dean Stell says:

Honestly, I just don’t have much time for any of these studio shows. I watch the games I’m really excited for live and record a bunch for later viewing during the week. I can’t imagine giving up watching actual soccer for watching people talking about soccer.

That’s also one reason I love podcasts so much: I can listen to them while I’m in the car or doing other things.

• Brad says:

Same goes for me, I watch the matches and listen to podcasts but have too little time to sit down and watch tv talk shows like Fox soccer daily or espn’s show.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I agree completely Dean. I’ll take it further and say that as I get my football fix regularly live I can’t be bothered with watching on screen (unluckily for me the experience doesn’t match up despite it ‘only’ being Stoke that I go to see). For some bizarre reason I much prefer radio commentary, although I tend to avoid listening to Stoke.

I put it down to nervousness and having emotions invested in a game that I’m not physically at, not being their gives me some weird feeling of a lack of control despite me having absolutely zero influence on the outcome. I think it’s the fact that you can feel physical and/or emotionally drained when you’ve attended the game, it’s something that I just don’t experience if I’m not actually there. Reading this back it’s almost like describing getting high!

I’d rather watch Sky Soccer Saturday which is 5 people talking about matches underway, across all leagues in England in Scotland.

12. Michael says:

NBC Fanboys all over this one.

13. Cantona says:

It is time for Fox to evaluate its whole soccer strategy.. Ie the anointed one.. Mr “I play in the park”himself ..Gus Johnson, before he returns to Europe as he keeps repeating in interviews.. And completely ruins any credibility Fox had with European Football.

Cantona—

• Dave says:

Fox’s strategy is to dumb down and Americanize soccer in order to get casual viewers who don’t follow the sport to tune in. Brace yourself for 2018 and 2022.

14. Dust says:

Fox should’ve just moved the fox soccer report by the Canadian firm to fox sports…. Left the times and frequency, twice a day at 7 & 10pm est.

Stone, Wynalda, Barton, Mcbride, just awful all have terminal poorpundititus…

15. Matt says:

Not a big fan of either FSD or ESPNFC, though ESPNFC is miles the better show. My only issue with ESPNFC is some of the pundits, can’t stand the host Dan Thomas or Craig Burley, whenever they are on I simply don’t watch. Also, ESPNFC has too many repetitive topics, how many more times can they discuss the World Cup draw in December? They beat that topic to death.

• sucka99 says:

ESPN is all about beating topics to death and ridiculous devils advocate debates. But their access to Gab Marcotti and Sid Lowe and the time of the show – after games have been played and not during them – make the show redeemable. The goofballery on ESPN is almost as strong as on Fox.

16. Rey Pygsterio says:

Fox Sports 1 can devote an hour at night to UFC coverage, but pushes soccer into the corner in a bad time slot. They had the best soccer show in the business and dumped it. Big mistake. Please bring back the nightly hour-long Fox Soccer News.

ESPN FC is not that great either. Somebody please give us some soccer NEWS and highlights like the Fox Soccer Channel used to do rather than three or four blokes sitting around talking.

Yeah, NBC is fantastic, but there’s a big world out there beyond the Premier League.

17. AG says:

ESPN and Fox usually mention notable news. Besides, almost every football fan already knows when news breaks and they don’t rely on TV.
    I agree people mostly want highlights and the current time slot prevents them from recapping the day’s action. A 5pm est. airing at the earliest would be ideal.

18. goatslookshifty says:

There is a very fine line between pundits having fun (ESPNFC) and pundits being buffoons(FSD.) Wynalda’a act has worn thin and Barton has lost his ‘only Englishman on TV’ role since Craig Burley etc. are on now. I’d advise Fox ditch it and improve the gameday preshows.

Goatslookshifty. (not my real name, Galen) ;)

19. Dave says:

It shouldn’t be that difficult to improve Fox Soccer Daily. Get someone who’s more knowledgeable about the game like Georgie Thompson to host the show. Assemble a more diverse group of pundits who actually know what they’re talking about and rotate them on a daily basis instead of recycling Barton and Wynalda. It’s not rocket science.

20. scrumper says:

They need to leave it to the real professionals and go back to Sky Sports twice a day. The Bimbo, Barton “play high tempo” and the ever confused Wynalda are just pathetic. If you want up to the minute footy news listen to TalkSport.

21. AJ says:

Here’s what’s scary. This network is producing a World Cup in 4 years, and they can’t even get a 30 minute soccer show right, yikes!

I like ESPNFC better but it definitely has problems too. Dan Thomas is annoying and every time I see Gab Marcotti on my TV, I want to stick my foot through it, completely clueless. The rest of the show is pretty good though.

22. wsw says:

Why it has the same ratings as MLS games.

23. David says:

To call the show Fox Soccer “Daily” was false advertising. It only aired 2 or 3 times a week due to live events.
    ESPN FC gets moved around often, sometimes to another channel. Why not move FSD to FS2 instead of taking the day off. I still don’t get FS2 in my area so it wouldn’t matter to me anyway…

24. Rascal says:

This show needed more time to develop. S-B is beautiful and yet seemed out of her depth with socccer. The guys are good enough, but the Old FOX SOCCER NEW which ran for an hour on Fox Soccer Channel was much better.

Figure this out FOX! You removed Sky Sports and the Soccer Channel, now its impossible to see most alternatives soccer to EPL. The were over twenty FA Cup matches last week and you should be repeating them overnight, also the Champions League could be see late. We use DVRs now so air time means nothing!

Get it right! The best new was Sky Sports, just air that and you’d get huge ratings. Take an editor and cut all the rugby and cricket out, get an American anchor and then toss to sky’s segments! It really simple!!!

25. Dieter says:

Who cares how good or bad these shows are, the important thing is that theyre on the air. at anytime during the day you can find shows for football,baseball,bball,hockey,golf,tennis,etc. Id rather have bad soccer shows than none at all.

26. OAT says:

Fox should have kept Fox Soccer Report/News.
    They did a far superior job for less money and they did it almost 365 days of the year.
    Not flashy, not based on looks but substance. Who else misses Bobby McMahon?
    I guess he wasn’t hip enough for the hair-gelled and snow white teeth executives at Fox who are now scratching that same gel wondering why their show is failing. We, football fans, don’t care if the commentators are standing up, sitting down or lounging around. It’s all about content, watching highlights from your country’s league and enjoying it. Preempting the show every other day is also a dumb way to build an audience.
    Fox,your name starts with an ‘F’ and that’s the grade you get.

• Kevin S says:

Totally agree with this. Fox Soccer Report, Bobby McMahon and the Winnipeg team (Michelle Lissel, Eoin O’ Callaghan & Asa Rehman and those that came before them) were the best. Coverage & highlights of multiple leagues and competitions, basically global soccer coverage, excellent commentary and analysis from Bobby, an evening show so all the results and highlights from Europe for the day were in, and no distracting and unnecessary banter and flashy production. I wasn’t too impressed with the move to Toronto and Fox Soccer News at the start of the 2012-13 season, but they at least kept most of the global coverage and highlights, still had a bit of Bobby and some other good analysts, like Thomas Rongen, and the same time slot.
      Fox Soccer Daily is just a major disappointment. Flash over substance, but I guess that’s the American way ;-)

27. Teddy says:

Fox chose not to invest in talent and did not pick a reasonable time slot and that was their downfall. As far as talent, Julie didn’t know soccer. She couldn’t pronounce star player’s names nor common clubs/countries correctly. She knew very little soccer history. Eric and Joey just aren’t connected to the game any more or big enough personalities. The best fox can do is rebroadcast a show from England. There’s only a few people in the US connected to soccer in Europe.

28. Eddie says:

Please bring back Fox Soccer News with Bobby McMahon for the nightly slot!

29. Jose Caldas says:

These guys are best soccer commentators in the industry. Warren Barton, and Eric Wynalda are knowledgeable and entertaining.

Unfortunately their show, Fox Soccer Daily, was at a time when soccer fans are not available. Personally I was recording it every day but the time did not make any sense.

Please bring a soccer show back at a reasonable time even if it is one time a week. I also think you got the format all wrong. Barton and Wynalda do not need a host (girl) to drive their commentary. just let the guys drive the show.

In the old fox soccer channel (dearly missed) there was the Monday “phone in show”; as a soccer fan I loved that format. Again please bring the guys back they are the best commentators in the industry you are wasting an amazing asset. The NBC bunch don’t even rank compared to Barton and Wynalda.

Jose Caldas
    Soccer Fanatic

30. Nort says:

so….whats the outcome? is it coming back on or not?

31. Jesse Diederich says:

Put me and Nate Barber as the hosts of that show.
    We can and will help out your ratings.

32. Boss says:

Two big problems with FSD…. Eric “the annoying” Wynalda and Warren “broken English” Barton.

These two stooges should have never been on TV in the first place. If FOX doesn’t invest in REAL analyst, then don’t even try.