Phil Jones to Miss Manchester United’s Game Against Bayer Leverkusen: Nightly Soccer Report
Manchester United defender Phil Jones has been ruled out of the UEFA Champions League game against Bayer Leverkusen on Tuesday. He suffered an ankle injury against Liverpool a few weeks ago, but hasn’t recovered in time to help United in their opening European match.
The absence of Jones is a blow to United manager David Moyes who will be without Jones, Rafael and Chris Smalling. The player who may be fielded instead of Jones is Fabio da Silva, who returned to United from his loan to Queens Park Rangers that ended last season.
Here are tonight’s world soccer news headlines:
- Phil Jones to miss Manchester United’s game against Bayer Leverkusen — The Guardian
- Brendan Rodgers reckons he’s sorted Liverpool’s back four for the next ten years — The Mirror
- Tottenham will consult fans with questionnaire about ‘Yid army’ chants — The Guardian
- Carlton Cole could still seal West Ham return despite fitness concerns — The Mirror
- Roberto Soldado salutes ‘brilliant’ Christian Eriksen after Dane shines on debut — Telegraph
- Martin O’Neill has track record in law courts — Irish Times
- Sam Allardyce accuses referee Andre Marriner of missing red card offence at Southampton — Telegraph
- David Moyes sets Wayne Rooney 30-goal target at United this season — The Guardian
- Carlo Ancelotti has asked Iker Casillas to play only in the Champions League — Telegraph
- Barcelona’s Jordi Alba ruled out for three weeks — ESPN FC
- Reading’s Pavel Pogrebnyak and Brighton’s Leo Ulloa are both sent off in dreary goalless draw — Telegraph
- FA Cup game abandoned after brawl breaks out — BBC Sport
- A-League announces USA broadcasting rights for FOX Sports — SB Nation
The Nightly Soccer Report is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s worldwide newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly Soccer Report on World Soccer Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.