Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

FOX Soccer Needs to Start Delivering With Its FOX Soccer 2Go Product

fox soccer 2go logo FOX Soccer Needs to Start Delivering With Its FOX Soccer 2Go Product

It’s only nine days until the start of the English Premier League. Other European leagues and tournaments are starting all through August. These are exciting times for any soccer fan. But where is FOX Soccer in all this?

They are busy putting their efforts into rebranding (yet again) another product / service instead of communicating with their fans — i.e. paying customers — on how they are going to provide value to their community.

Need examples?

June 2011…

Our audience comes to FOX Soccer for one thing: to interact with the game they love. They are smart, they want new technologies, they want the best coverage. The re-branding symbolizes our continued commitment to push the limits and evolve with the game in this country.

- David Nathanson, Fox Soccer’s General Manager

(Source: MediaBistro, Fox Soccer Channel Rebrands, Unveils New Logo)

January 2012…

The name change means that the iPhone app, iPad app and now web service all feature the same consistent name.

(Source: EPLTalk.com, FOX Renames FOXSoccer.tv to FOX Soccer 2Go)

August 2012…

Just in time for the 2012-13 Premier League season, FOX Soccer will re-launch FOX Soccer Report on August 17, 2012 as FOX Soccer News, the new nightly soccer news round-up show beginning at 10pm ET.

(Source: EPLTalk.com, FOX Soccer Report to Re-Launch As FOX Soccer News On August 17 [Video])

Ok, so they’ve been busy picking new names, new personalities, and I’m sure a bunch of positive stuff that we fans don’t get to see.

But how is this adding value to us as fans? Us paying customers? How are we supposed to be evangelists of FOX Soccer when there is no communication or updates?

Back in June, I asked aloud about their mobile device strategy. I even reached out to David Nathanson and his team for some feedback. While I didn’t speak to Mr. Nathanson (he’s not available for individual bloggers), I spoke with a member of FOX Soccer’s PR & Communication team and he was kind enough to suggest sending him questions that he’d pass along to the team for a response.

On July 10, I sent a list of questions from myself and a handful of readers. The questions were strictly based on FOX Soccer’s mobile strategy.

Since I hadn’t received a response, I followed up on July 18 to see if there was anything I might help with.

On July 19, I received a response that he was traveling:

Let me follow-up to see where we are on this.

It’s August 8. I’ve heard nothing back from FOX Soccer.

And this seems typical.

Do you follow FOX Soccer 2Go’s Twitter account? If so, you’re likely massively disappointed in the amount of communication it provides. As of 7:00AM ET today, here’s the most recent tweet:

Yes, from March 6 — five months ago!

Perhaps you are a paying customer of FOX Soccer’s iPhone / iPad applications. As of 7:00AM ET yesterday, here’s where we stand with those apps:

FOX Soccer 2Go for iPad

FOXSoccer2GoforiPad FOX Soccer Needs to Start Delivering With Its FOX Soccer 2Go ProductFOX Soccer 2Go

FOXSoccer2Go FOX Soccer Needs to Start Delivering With Its FOX Soccer 2Go Product

Most recent update? December 10, 2011.

(Think I’m alone in my frustration? Click on either of the images above to read the reviews of like-minded paying customers.)

As soccer fans, our relationship with FOX Soccer is akin to being a contestant on Bachelor Pad (or any other reality TV show): There’s a huge prize at the end, but you’ll have to deal with a lot of fluff and broken promises before getting anywhere near the prize.

So, what should FOX Soccer do?

Two things:

1. Learn to communicate: Enough with the big press releases and rebrands. Communicate with your fans, your customers, YOUR COMMUNITY. You have a tremendous amount of goodwill that you are burning through tremendously fast. Stop the burning. Start the communicating.

2. Start delivering: Seriously, December 2011 was the last update to your mobile strategy? Nearly 9 months! You can’t put a crap product to market, charge for it, then ignore your paying customers. Start focusing on your customer’s needs and start delivering a product we can use.

I’d love to see this turned around but if the past year is any indication, I’m guessing there isn’t much promise for the future.

Here’s what I’d really like to see.

Apple adding a deal with Ligue 1, adding it as a channel (much like the NBA, Netflix, etc. channels), refining it, then moving into other leagues.

This wouldn’t be good for Android or other mobile platforms. But maybe FOX Soccer could then focus on the non-Apple market in hopes of delivering a product worth using?

Editor’s note: Meanwhile, we’re still waiting to hear about the Android app, which is long overdue, as well as the addition of the FOX Soccer 2Go app on other devices such as Roku, XBOX 360 and PS3, to name just a few.

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, FOXSoccer.tv, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to FOX Soccer Needs to Start Delivering With Its FOX Soccer 2Go Product

1. harry cee says:

You know at the VERY LEAST what I would like to see to make the app worthwhile…STREAM THE NEWS REPORT!!!

Take some hints from ESPN!!

Sure, chrage for the games if that is what you think it takes but as far as the rest of your programming at least make it accessible to fans who want to keep up.

it kind of sucks watching ESPN Presspass on my iPhone and they have to BLACK OUT the highlights because Fox has rights to the games and replays.

If someone can do mobile right, ESPN has it so far!

2. Reid says:

This is my first year subscribing to Fox Soccer 2Go. I don’t have any Apple products so I can not take advantage of the apps, but I have a small PC hooked up to my TV so I can stream.

I’d love to see the News Report streamed, like harry cee suggested, but I’m really only loyal to them as long as they have the EPL. I do wish ESPN could consolidate its soccer offerings though. Would be nice to have fewer providers to worry about.

3. Chris says:

I wouldnt count of Fox Soccer getting big anytime soon. They lost rights to Serie A, and Ligue 1. What they have going for them right now is EPL and Champions League. with a little nice addition of Europa League and thats it. I mean CONCACAF Champions League isnt much. You cant compare it to that of UEFA Champions League. But they have alot of their leg here. So Dont expect them to be going all out crazy on some things. BeIN SPORTS seems to have taking over. Sure they havent struck a big deal yet with tv providers but it will only take time I susspose. As of now BeIN is testing in HD on Directv and is also testing in SD on Dish.

4. Matt says:

I only turned to Fox Soccer once during the Euro’s…sorry no interest in seeing Rob Stone and Warren Barton analyze Euro’s from some dingy looking studio in LA

• CTBlues says:

Why did you tune into Fox Soccer during the Euros when ESPN was the channel covering the tourny? ESPN didn’t even send there studio people only 2 commentating teams.

5. Wade says:

Well foxsoccer2go app is now just overpriced as they have fewer games and has more on demand options not even live things. I asked one of my professors at the University and he made an estimation that it is worth around 119 a year now. Professor Gay also valued the beinsports future stream at 99 with a quick increase to 149. Go soccer seems to be on the decline. Not enough content.

• Yespage says:

More on demand options not live? Such as?

FS2Go is still good for rugby/football fans. For football fans, it is great if you like one of the smaller teams, otherwise, it is losing a bit of luster. Losing the League Cup and Championship League was rough.

• The Gaffer says:

Wade, FOX Soccer 2Go updated their schedule yesterday with the live matches for the opening day of the EPL season. They haven’t had a chance to update the remaining weeks, but there will still be tons of live matches shown.

6. CtRed says:

Foxsoccer2go will never be as good espn because they will not stream their games live when they are on FSC. That is the dumbest decision ive ever seen especially when they charge the 100 and whatever it is per year.

• Yespage says:

That isn’t quite fair seeing that FS2Go does on demand streaming for almost all of their games, something ESPN does not.

• CtRed says:

I may be confused – but using todays LFC v Gomel match as example. It really does me no good to be able to see this match on demand beginning at 11:59pm EST, or 7 hours after the conclusion.

Am incorrect in this ? Would i be able to access this game via computer or app before this time?

• The Gaffer says:

If it’s shown live on FOX Soccer, it’s typically shown on delay on FOX Soccer 2GO. Otherwise, FOX fears that people would dump FOX Soccer (their flagship) and just go online only.

• CtRed says:

Exactly Gaffer – but that assumption is silly. ESPN doesnt think youre going to dump ESPN because you can watch ESPN3 (and yes i know the content is much more), but since FSC is not a stand alone product within Direct TV but a package one would have to dump a lot more. Also for weekday games – today for example, the chances of being in at home in front of your TV dwindles for viewers when the game is being played at 3pm EST and noon PST. So when I would need it the most, its not available to me til 7 hours after conclusion.

• The Gaffer says:

So buy a Slingbox and then you can watch games live on FOX Soccer via your computer or smartphone. And FOX Soccer 2Go will have almost everything else live (except for ESPN2/ESPN/ESPN3.com live games).

• CTBlues says:

I think all the cable companies that have Watch ESPN make it a requirement to have cable in order to get access to Watch ESPN like HBO GO.

• The Gaffer says:

Correct. And not all cable companies provide ESPN3.com to their ESPN subscribers — only those cable companies who decide to pay extra for ESPN3.com, to provide that service to their cable subscribers.

7. Fog says:

In my opinion, if FoxSoccer2Go wants to expand it subscription base it needs to make the price more reasonable. For me $19.99/month is too expensive, especially since I am not a rugby fan. I already pay extra for the DirecTV sports pack.

I don’t know why FoxSoccer2Go has been slow to upgrade their product, but if their subscription base is an issue, possibly they should consider a price reduction. It would probably take at least a 50% reduction to $9.99 for me to subscribe.

8. Fernando says:

Fox Soccer is about the games and that’s it. Sure they have a shiny, new studio but that doesn’t hide the fact that the insight from their experts is minimal.

Once the game is over, you change the channel or go to the internet for more detailed insight into whatever match you just watched. That says it all.

Fox had the landscape to itself and has never been able to deliver any kind of worthy programming before or after matches. The app in question isn’t terribly vital to me and I’d imagine is a luxury for some people.

Fox Soccer has limited itself for so long how can anyone expect anything else?

9. KK says:

For a single team follower, 2GO is not a good deal.
    Can watch LFC on FSC or ESPN/ESPN2/3 most weeks.
    There are enough games on otherwise or a stream when LFC
    are only on 2GO.

• The Gaffer says:

I disagree. For a single team, if you want to guarantee that you can see every game live (instead of some crappy illegal stream), FOX Soccer 2Go is the way to go.

10. Jeff says:

I find the quality of the stream for the fox soccer 2 go app as being very poor. If the EPL matches I want to watch arent on FS or FS+ or ESPN2 I just look forward to the highlights.

I look forward to the day when the EPL is televised in a NFL Sunday Ticket type service, where all the matches are on and I can have a channel that shows all the games at once (Directv mix channel type). The day will come. Likley in the next 5 years or so.

11. Mike says:

Fox Soccer 2Go needs to lower their subscription rates since they now have fewer games to schedule after losing the Serie A. However, I’m not sure they will do that.

Whenever BeIn have their sreaming service up and running it will be interesting to see what they charge and how that will affect fox soccer 2go. I know several fox soccer 2 go subscribers that were mostly interested in Serie A games. Add La Liga and BeIn becomes more attractive to some.

12. BA14 says:

I really don’t have an issue with Fox Soccer 2 GO. I pretty get what I am looking for.

13. dust says:

Just some thoughts….

Mobility Strategy…LOL right now fro fox soccer Im sure it is to just establish a presence…overall its so much bigger than just a mobility strategy.

There is a new media distribution model emerging (Direct Pay) that will change cable & terrestrial programming forever. It’s gonna be what you want when you want. The whole model is gonna change, all the large media companies see the writing on the wall. iTunes put in a blueprint of success for all to follow like Netflix, Hulu and On demand cable offerings, its there in dribs and drabs right now, Im sure the Killer TV product from Apple will again redefine the market.

Cable and satellite companies need to be more than just “pipes” to peoples houses, especially as wireless becomes more powerful, if you can get your programing streamed to you on any device and when you want without having to sit though commercials, or wait for it to start why would you bother with expensive cable or satellite subscriptions? Especially when you can get all your content, be it Live Sports, tv shows, movies or music?

Content is king, its why Comcast purchased NBC universal and Dish purchased Blockbuster. This olympic all access coverage by “xfinity and nbc”is a prime example of how NOT to do it however.

The Direct Pay model will be far more lucrative for companies like Disney who can provide a “package” of content across genre’s that you will subscribe to directly with them for you to view on your new Apple 2k Television.

When Fox is able to negotiate different licensing instead of just inheriting the joke of a service that was Setanta after it went under because it sucked! they will negotiate something that fits its vision.

IMO Fox have done a great job, taking the unreliable poor quality player and making it stable and available on the latest devices. Its not as easy as you may think to make it run so well on all those devices. Plus the new mac OS and an Apple TV allows me to wirelessly mirror my computer onto my TV pixel for pixel. so I can watch in beautiful HD, I was able to watch every spurs game last season which is a huge change form just 3-4 years ago.

14. Matt says:

I am a former subscriber, and one of the many problems I have had with the site is their conduct and accessibility when these issues occurred. The lack of any sort of response from foxsoccer concerned me. Couple this with the price hike that occurred last fall with the “new” app, I made the decision to walk away from my monthly subscription last October. When I attempted to take part in the “free” trial week in February, they made me pay $20 up front, and I never saw my money return after I ended my trial after only 4 days.

I decided to subscribe to mlb.tv last July to follow my Brewers in their pennant race when I returned to college in Minnesota. If you’re unfamiliar with the service, subscribers buy packages that bring every out of market game (that isn’t nationally televised on FOX or ESPN) to apps on computers, tablets, smartphones, as well as the PS3 and XBOX360. Additionally, subscribers receive local radio broadcasts for both home and away teams to every game (regardless of location) via smartphone, tablet and computer apps. Subscriptions are bought for the remainder of the season that vary depending on amount of content and features you desire. Additionally, returning customers get renewal price discounts. I payed a renewal rate for the Premium service back in January for the 2012 season, which averages to just shy of $14 per month during the season. I use the app on my phone daily, and I watch many games on my ps3 or my laptop despite the fact that I am back in Milwaukee and the Brewers are blacked out.

I never experienced any technical issues with the service in more than a year as a subscriber. The only incident occurred when I was at Miller Park watching the Brewers play the Pirates, and I tried to stream the Cincinnati Reds game between innings, but I received an error screen. I chalked it up to relatively poor 3G signal inside the ballpark. It wasn’t until this afternoon that I learned that a hardware malfunction occurred at the mlb.tv headquarters that knocked out the video streaming services for every game last night. The next day I received an email from their customer service department. Long story short, they apologized multiple times, explained their efforts to rectify the problem, and offered me a code for 40% off an entire order on MLB.com’s store.

Fox Soccer has come a long way from where they were, even as recent as two years ago. I love the content that they provide to their television channel, even in the desolate wasteland of this time of summer when the tournaments are over. But they need to step up their efforts if they ever want me to come back to their product despite my feverish love for the Premier League, FA Cup and the Champions League. It’s sad to see the lengths that similar sports subscriptions go to when an isolated technical incident arises compared to disinterested outlook foxsoccer.tv portrays. Mlb.tv is far from perfect, but they seem to genuinely care about me as a consumer of a product that they are proud to provide. I have access to live video for all 9 games today, which is more than I can say for a normal week at foxsoccer.tv. Obviously that is due, in large part, to the nature of soccer as a weekly or biweekly sport due to the increased wear and tear on the body. Even still, a price per game comparison would be laughable. Or depressing. I guess that depends on your point of view.

• Yespage says:

I think that is a reasonable assessment. I would say last season their attitudes improved greatly. I remember the first couple of seasons they’d say ‘turn off graphic card acceleration’ as the default answer to any technical problem. I remember saying I was having a problem streaming a particular live game and I knew it wasn’t my connection because I had just watched some rugby the hour before and they responded I needed to wait a little to wait for my service to activate after first subscribing. It was as if they hadn’t even read my complaint!

Last season seemed to be a very large improvement, both streaming and communication wise. They owned up to technical problems, even offered a free month (though I don’t recall whether we ever received it) to all subscribers. But there is definitely room for improvement.

15. Matt says:

By the way, fantastic article William.

16. Wade says:

Fox needs to acquire more leagues. Like in the case of soccer they are subpar for rugby. Why not get the French top 14? That would give a better line up for that crazy price. Also it’s not
    Foxsoccer 2 go. It is fox go soccer online without iPad or iPhone live games for most of the leagues. Even now qualifiers for UCL and europa league are not shown live. Bad product overall.

• Yespage says:

I disagree. It was a bad product when the games wouldn’t load up, or they would just freeze, or take 15 to 20 minutes to start, have audio out of sync with video. $20 a month to watch most of the games live and all of them on demand isn’t ridiculous. It isn’t cheap, but it isn’t outrageous. I do wish they’d put FS+ in with the subscription however.

17. Matt says:

I know Celtic have a decent following in the US, but whats the point of showing the SPL? Seriously. According to the UEFA coefficiant they are the 28th league in Europe (if Celtic make the CL, they will move up a bit, but won’t crack the top 20 in a while).

I’m a general football fan, I enjoy national teams more than clubs, but I don’t know why they don’t go after some other top 10 leagues for filler…leagues like the Eredivisie or even the Russian league which ESPN UK shows. Eredivisie is a pretty exciting league as they don’t bother playing defense over there lol :D

• Yespage says:

I think the Scottish League would allow local broadcast announcing to cover the match. That would mean they wouldn’t need to pay anyone else to announce the game in order to show it?

18. William says:

Thanks all for the feedback and commentary. It sounds like, for the most part, people who have tried Fox Soccer 2Go have been disappointed.

For those folks who point to pricing as *the* barrier, I respectfully disagree. If the product works, then we can evaluate and discuss the relative value we are receiving for the price. If the product / service is crap, does the cost really matter? (The reason for introductory offers is to evaluate the product then decide it’s worth as a consumer.)

I do hope conversations like these – out in the open with fans and paying customers – will help make the product better (no matter who is providing it!).

Thanks again!

19. Jumbo says:

I subscribed to FoxSoccer 2 Go last season. I was pleased with the variety of the offerings, but was equally bothered by (1) the quality of the feed; (2) the time when pivotal matches were screened (11:59pm); (3) and when the announcers told you the score of other games that you hadn’t seen yet.

The first problem was the most egregious. Having watched the Olympics online, which has tremendous HD quality, the FoxSoccer feed is very poor and spotty. During any big matches, if I watched it live, the image would become pixelated or pause altogether. I also couldn’t blow up the game on my HD TV, which I can do with the olympics. I have a 15MBS download speed.

Other than that–which is super important–I was very pleased by the Champions League offerings. I was able to watch Arsenal, my team, for most big matches.

A final note. I was charged by FOx to renew my subscription. I was never contacted or asked if I could renew. My credit card company caught it–but I consider it really bad form on Fox’s part, especially because the price went up.

At this point, I’m not going to renew. Fox needs to get its technical act in order and figure out its licensing scheme.

Thanks for reading.

• Fog says:

Jumbo, this is from the FoxSoccer2Go website…it is in bold: Your online video subscription will be automatically renewed and the credit card you used to subscribe for such online video subscription will be charged per the billing cycle of your selected online video subscription (e.g. Monthly or Annual), unless you cancel the online video subscription prior to the renewal date of your online video subscription.

This is not unusual for any subscription service..e.g. DirecTV automatically renews any sports subscription, such as, MLB Extra Innings, NFL Sunday Ticket, etc. unless you cancel prior to the specific renewal date.

• Frohs says:

Not sure if any of you have gone through the process of cancelling the service, but I had an absolute nightmare. To keep a long story short I went through the cancellation process on their site multiple times, contacted them asking them to cancel the service multiple times, and ~3 months and $60 later I was finally able to leave.

My main complaints were the lack of overlay or any sort of score indicator during the matches, the relatively poor coverage at the time, and the price. The unfortunate piece is that I would have considered renewing at some point in time had they not been so difficult to deal with.

20. Jose says:

Technical support from Foxsoccer2go sucks. Recently purchased a Windows RT table and for some strange reason, considering that the IE has a very good compatibilty, it doesn’t work. Flash never launches. I am aware of the white list and added the site. Same thing. Trying to get a response to this issue only geys absurd canned responses. Fr them, W RT doesn’t exist.