Euro 2012 News: Euro 2020 Could Be Staged in ’12 or 13 Countries’ Says Platini

Euro 2012 News: Euro 2020 Could Be Staged in 12 or 13 Countries Says Platini

The news from UEFA’s Michel Platini this morning is that the Euro 2020 tournament could be played across the European continent instead of within a host country. With Europe being such a relatively small continent and budget airfare being so inexpensive for fans to follow their team, I love the idea — which is rare since it comes from Platini’s mouth. It’s something that the FIFA World Cup can’t obviously do, and it would be a great way to showcase future European Championships, in my opinion.

Since there’s no soccer on today, be sure to listen to the latest episode of the Euro Talk Podcast.

Meanwhile, here are the latest Euro 2012 news headlines from today:

This entry was posted in Euro 2012, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Euro 2012 News: Euro 2020 Could Be Staged in ’12 or 13 Countries’ Says Platini

1. Andyb says:

If you think the air travel during a 12/13 city euros would be cheap you’re wrong, airlines would take advantage and rise the prices without thinking twice. I’d rather see bigger nations continue to host it on their own.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Spot on. Stoke got drawn against Valencia in December, within a matter of minutes return flights direct to Valencia around the week of the up fro £80 to £400.

Even flights to other cities round Spain were more expensive than normal, that’s what happens when you’ve got 6000 people all travelling at the same time to get to one place. I think it cost around £135 to get to Alicante which was a two hour train journey away from Valencia . It took 3 hours of shopping around to get that deal too.

2. BuckNasty says:

And all 12 or 13 will be crime-ridden, neo-Nazi hell-holes. Don’t go. You’ll just come home in a pine box.

Regards,
    The British Media

3. CTBlues says:

4. CTBlues says:

This is how national tournaments in the US are they take place over the whole country not one state or region. This seems more fiscally responsible for cash strapped nations across Europe instead of putting all of the financial burden on 1 or 2 countries.

As for the travel costs you have the groups play all there games in a city that has multiple stadiums or cities that are close to each other with stadiums and if your team makes it out of the group stage you travel you want just like you do now.

5. scrumper says:

After rejecting goal line technology this is more crackpot nonsense from little Napoleon. If you’ve ever been to such a tournament you’ll understand how it completely unifies a country and creates a giant footballing community for all the travelling fans. The host countries benefit from the huge injection of cash. For example twenty thousand Irish travelled to Poland/Ukraine. How many would travel for one game? Inexpensive airfare in Europe? Think again. The cost of jet fuel in Europe is more than four times than available in the US. I imagine many of the games wouldn’t even fill half a stadium.

The next Euro is France. You don’t hear Platini suggesting his own country give up the tournament. Playing in different cities relegates the competition to a Champions League affair.

6. Matt says:

I know Platini is not popular, but in his words its just an “idea”…no need yet to take this into fact. I doubt it will happen. But a 24-team Euro limits the availability for certain nations to host this tournament. For example I don’t think Poland/Ukraine would have been able to host a 24-team tournament. This move basically limits the amount of countries able to host it and may open the idea a triple-hosts (I read Wales/Scotland/Ireland will bid)

7. Denise says:

I have not only played soccer, coached soccer, given birth to soccer players and married one as well, I have also arm-chair-reffed them for years. These are peerless qualifications, I think you will agree.

Here are My Six Observations:

1) The European Cup brings out the passion and emotion of countless fans, and it also brings out the crazies. Especially on the pitch. Case in point: Mario Balotelli (a.k.a – Super Mario; Psycho Mario). After scoring his second goal against a suddenly porous German team (maybe they should bring helium to their games to detect leaks) he frightened children and small animals worldwide by whipping off his shirt and becoming a psilomelaine statue of The Hulk posing for Muscle Magazine. It was like looking at a negative of a steroid-free Schwarzenegger doing a Front Lat Spread. And speaking of porous, the only other memorable image of him in my mind’s eye is teammate Bonucci covering Balotelli’s mouth with his hand to shut off whatever crazy was leaking out after his goal against Ireland. Is this what our children will be mentoring now? I fear for soccer’s future…and how long I can stop myself from gouging out my mind’s eye with a spoon.

2) What’s with all the spitting and horking, not to mention the projectile snot blowing, going on in the pitch these days? There isn’t a minute goes by where there isn’t a shot of some player expelling some type of fluid, of various consistencies, onto the playing surface. A surface, I might add, where they will more than likely be sweeping with their faces and hands over some 90 plus minutes. Whenever I see a face-plant, I cringe, hoping the cameramen won’t show a close-up of a booger clinging to an unsuspecting eyebrow or ear. I guess I should just be thankful they don’t repeat all the spewing in slow motion…

3) Speaking of slow-mo, can anyone tell me why they cut to a crowd shots while play is in action, and even worse, why they repeat it in slow-mo? Like I want to see some rolly-polly, half-naked fan screaming into his beer while his man-boobs flop around like a couple of hairy Jello molds, instead of watching a potential goal being set up? I could understand a babe on the bleachers distracting a horny young technician, but come on…who is on the camera? Davis Furnish? (*FYI: that’s Elton John’s husband)

4) I make it a point to have a pad and paper near me while I watch the pre-games and half-time shows and write down every sponsor whose commercials are repeated so often that my eye begins to twitch like Chief Inspector Dreyfuss’. I then refuse to buy anything they sell, will soon sell, or are thinking of inventing to someday sell. I know, I know…sponsors are a necessary evil, but the money I save on their products pays for the therapy sessions needed to rid myself of the twitch.

5) Speaking of commercials, I cannot help but lose some respect and admiration of players seduced to do bizarre ads. Yes, the money must be great, but are they not millionaires already? I know Ronaldo and Rooney need a ton of cash for hair products alone, but the rest of them…not so much. Case in point: Lionel Messi. When I saw him staring at a potato chip, sniffing it provocatively and closing his eyes in ecstasy while putting it into his mouth, I admit, I felt dirty. It was such a private moment (caught in slow-mo, of course) and he was all but quivering in his anticipation. I half expected him to light a cigarette afterwards and blow a smoke ring into the camera. I think he is a great player and probably a nice kid, but after that ad, I could never pass by a (aptly named) Lay’s Potato Chip package again without covering my daughter’s eyes and rushing past the grocery shelf.

6) My patience has reached the end for diving theatrics. The worst part is, is that some players really do get hurt, but nobody can believe them anymore. No one country or one player is solely to blame (although Cristiano Ronaldo can be felled easily by a well-aimed stare and Steven Gerrard is steady reliable for a well-timed flop). I see games on YouTube where men like Franz Beckenbauer get their collarbone broken in a game and instead of getting a hit of morphine and leaving in an ambulance, they slip their arm in a sling and play the rest of the game. (That man has balls that clang.) Today, a flick of a finger on a cheek leads to a full episode of Grey’s Anatomy on the field, and have you noticed, it doesn’t really matter where someone gets ‘fouled’, they do a double swan dive with a half twist onto the grass and grab their leg? Honestly, I even saw a replay of Sergio Ramos getting a for-real foul on his shoulder and he grabbed his head. They fake it so often, they don’t know how to react to real pain. I heard Arjen Robben went in for dental surgery and held out his left foot. Perhaps the only solution to this is to make it mandatory for all ‘fouled’ players to get a needle…a long needle…to ‘help’ them heal. That would weed out the Oscar contenders pretty quick. *except maybe for Balotelli, who I suspect would fall over even more.

There you go. You may not share my views, but I bet you share my Twitch.