Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Problems Continue For Liverpool

Problems Continue For Liverpool
It might have been a good week for Liverpool off the field, but their on pitch woes continued with a woefully disappointing defeat at the hands of Merseyside rivals Everton. New owner John W Henry, who was in attendance at Goodison Park, might have been thinking what he had parted £300 million for as goals from Tim Cahill and Mikel Arteta sealed a valuable win for the blue half of Liverpool.

When Henry took over he insisted the project was a long term plan, but the ambitions of the Anfield faithful were always going to be high. Today’s result and more importantly performance shows that it may take even longer than previously thought.

Liverpool were desperately lacking in ideas and creativity. While they did create some chances in the later stages of the game, for the majority of the game Everton looked completely in control. It begs the question how many of the Liverpool side would have managed to earn a place in the Everton team today.

Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Pepe Reina aside, there is not many that Liverpool stars that you can say would categorically walk in to the Everton team. Jamie Carragher and Joe Cole might, but other than you have to say most of David Moyes’ side would keep their place.

I think that demonstrates the task that not only Roy Hodgson has, but that the new owners have too. For Liverpool to really challenge at the top end of the Premier League, it will take Hodgson finding the right players, but also real backing from the NESV group.

We all know that they aren’t in the same mould as Manchester City’s super rich backers, which means that this investment won’t come in one big block, and Liverpool fans really need to understand that this won’t be a quick fix to their on the issues on the pitch.

Given time I have no doubt that NESV can do a much better job than the infamous duo of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, but I just hope that Liverpool’s need for immediate success doesn’t hamper their vision and long term strategy, because if it does, you can’t see them lasting much longer than the clubs previous owners.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Problems Continue For Liverpool

1. SantaClaus says:

The first thing NESV has to do is find a new manager. Hodgson has been awful. He seems clueless and his post-match interviews are an absolute joke. He thought Liverpool, against Everton, passed the ball around well and were better than the score showed. I’ve always had a high regard for Roy but now I think he’s in way over his head at Liverpool. The players should also take the blame but you cannot fire the whole team but you can fire the manager and his staff and bring in someone who will bring in new tactics and a new system that hopefully will lift the team from the bottom.

The present team has lots of internationals who are capable of playing well in the right system. Roy hasn’t got the most out of his players so it’s time to bring in someone new. The new manager cannot do worse than Hodgson is doing right now.

2. Yespage says:

Naw, first thing they can do is get rid of Lucas. What does anyone see in him? Oh look, Liverpool is driving into the offensive side… oh wait… that’s Lucas with the ball. Nevermind.

3. IdahoRed says:

Frustrated, for certain. I understand on Lucas, but I think it’s time to admit that we haven’t seen a single thing to be excited about from Joe Cole. Meireles is the best player of all the ones brought in this summer, imo. Cole would have plenty of trouble making Everton’s top 11.

When I saw the lineup today, I thought “Here we go again”. Torres all alone up front is completely ineffective, no matter how you shuffle everyone behind him. I’m tired of the news stories every single week about when he will find form – he’s not getting touches, and it has nothing to do with his form. He runs around up there by himself until Hodgson (usually in the 60th min, but today after the 70th) throws another striker in. Nearly every single game this season, the additional striker has made an immediate positive difference. I have no clue why Roy won’t start the game in that formation, then end it defensively if he’s in a position to do so.

I guess I’m saying I’m with SantaClaus. Whatever’s going on, Roy Hodgson does not seem close to a solution.

• Mike says:

I totally agree. I’ve seen the “immediate positive difference” you mention as well. With Hodgson’s post-game remarks today, I really wonder if he is deliberately trying to hasten his firing. Our passing was horrible. We won next to nothing in the air. We were rarely first on-ball. Yes, we won back a lot of balls later in the 2nd half, but maybe Everton were just too tired.

I cannot figure out why Roy is so afraid of starting Torres and Ngog together.

These are not bad players. They are just having a really hard time figuring out how to get the best out of each other. They look baffled out there. I think that falls to the manager. I think Roy is baffled. I hate to say it, but it’s indeed time for him to go.

• Lyle says:

Utter nonsense, I think. Hodgson should get a whole season… at a minimum.

• soonerscotty says:

At this rate we’ll be playing Doncaster in the Championship next season if we let him stay until May…hell, we may be playing them if stays until Christmas.

I don’t get our players…they seem to have all given up, except Torres who is rightfully pissed he’s being stranded all alone.

FML…YNWA!

4. Lyle says:

Rubbish article. It just takes one season to turn a club around. This just isn’t Liverpool’s year and Liverpool fans need to get the heck over it.

By the way, the new owners likely haven’t changed their goals one iota just cause of a silly loss to Everton.

5. Gaz Hunt says:

As a Liverpool supporter, I personally disagree and think that Roy is the man for the job.

I’m curious, however, if the critics can name some names to go along with the criticism.

Who should have been appointed instead? Related, who would you replace him with now?

Remember to be realistic (in other words, don’t say Jose Mourinho).

It doesn’t seem so easy does it?

I will agree, however, that it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just go ahead a play the team he usually ends up with at 80 minutes from the start. Why not start with Torres, N’Gog, and only one holding midfielder?

6. Johnny says:

Look at the tactics.

People talk about Liverpool getting dominated under Roy, but thats because we don’t “press” – thats a tactical instruction.

Heres a quote from Fulham defender Hangeland on how Fulham “press” under Hughes, compared to when they didn’t “press” under Roy.

“We used to concede ground earlier and let the opposition play whereas now we press high and take the game to them.”

Liverpool do the same thing now under Roy, sit back, defend deep with 2 compact and narrow banks of 4, and invite pressure. If you sit deep and concede possession, you NEED a hold up man(build attacks), aka Zamora. Torres, doesn’t want to do that, its not his game.

Thats Hodgson tactics, and hes been using those tactics for 35 years, he won’t change anytime soon. Those tactic work well for small teams like fulham or halmstad, not so much at liverpool, or the blackburn side got relegated.

Rafas main philosophy was to play a high tempo pressing game, with a higher line. Players were suited it, they thrive when we play possession based football. And pressing high up the pitch would create chances for Torres under Rafa. He had one of the highest goals to min ratio in the Rafa era.

I strongly disagree with the calls for Ngog to partner Torres. Liverpool fans should know that Torres, is at his best as a lone striker, not with a partner.
    He thrives off leading the line, on his own, having AMs between the lines behind him, and being fed through balls – not so much flick ons and having to worry about another partner.
    I would wanted Pellegrini for the job, he wanted the job. He’s modern, progressive and doesn’t use small team tactics.

7. bob says:

Bottom line is Roy needs to go. What is he thinking, really? Setting up 2 blocks of four in the defensive third to let Blackpool come at you at Anfield?! He’s got to be crazy. I’d take Ian Holloway in a second of old Hodgson right now.

Also, Torres’ “lack of form” is no more than the coaching strategies being implemented. Right now, Roy has Torres with his back to he net, mostly receiving balls from the air. This is wrong wrong wrong. Does he even know what kind of striker Torres? He needs to be giving Torres service through the channels with his face on goal from well timed runs.

This is just crazy all around, every week I am more and more baffled from Roy. Not to mention in the derby game how long did it take him to make a change in the 2nd half?! Oh yeah, around the 75th minute (or was it even later). GARBAGE ROY.