Sao Paulo (AFP) – Brazil football legend Pele said Tuesday he will try to take part in the Olympics closing ceremony, after poor health stopped him from attending the opening gale.
“I am continuing my physiotherapy and focused on joining you for the closing festivities on August 21. I love you!” Pele wrote on Twitter.
“I want to thank everyone for the well wishes from around the world, regarding the Olympics opening ceremony.”
Pele said he had been asked to light the Olympic flame at Friday’s opening ceremony. But hours before the event, he said his health was too fragile.
The football idol has undergone several hip operations and walks with a cane.
Widely regarded as the greatest footballer of all time, Pele — real name Edson Arantes do Nascimento — won three World Cups with Brazil.
He never competed at the Olympics.