MON, 3PM ET
ATL
OLY
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG
AJA

FOX Soccer Announce Plans for New iPad and iPhone Apps and New Shows

fox soccer logo1 FOX Soccer Announce Plans for New iPad and iPhone Apps and New Shows

FOX Soccer will be launching an iPad app and a new iPhone app this summer in conjunction with the launch of the network’s new name, new logo, improved graphics and new sets, which will debut on August 13 in conjunction with the kickoff of the 2011-12 Premier League season.

Details are minimal as of press time, but FOX has also announced that there will be “new shows.” Whether the network will try to launch a new call-in show to replace Soccer Talk Live or Fox Football Fone-In is unclear, but as soon as we have more information, we’ll be sure to share it with you.

Currently FOX Soccer doesn’t have an iPad app, but the FoxSoccer iPhone app does work on the iPad. It’ll be interesting to see what the custom-made FOX Soccer iPad app that’ll be launched in August will feature, but if I had to guess, I would say that it would allow FOXSoccer.tv subscribers to watch games via the iPad complete with new features such as being able to watch more than one game at once, as well as to engage in chat with other soccer fans, and more. Plus, I would suspect that the video quality would be even better than the current FOXSoccer.tv experience on the iPhone.

The news was announced at a cable industry show in Chicago this week.

“Growing up you just couldn’t find soccer on American TV,” said Cobi Jones, who was at the industry show to announce the new plans. “Now, on TV and on the internet, FOX is giving players and fans a chance to see the biggest games. With FOX Soccer, tomorrow’s Clint Dempseys and Cobi Joneses will be able to see their heroes today.”

FOX Soccer will also begin offering bundled content, allowing cable and satellite subscribers the option of watching the games on computer and tablet devices. What that means, exactly, we’ll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile, EPL Talk has learned that FOXSoccer.tv will be showing games this summer from the Chelsea Asia tour (on delay) as well as Premier League classic games and FA Cup classic games in addition to other as-yet-unannounced content.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to FOX Soccer Announce Plans for New iPad and iPhone Apps and New Shows

1. Evan says:

lol @ Jones referring to himself in the 3rd person.

2. Tony Butterworth says:

Where’s the love for Android :)

3. king yidz says:

more droids out there than iphones

wake up fox

• joe m says:

There are, in the US, more Android devices than iPhones, but Android doesn’t touch the whole iOS family at all (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad).

• Tony says:

Joe M I think your wrong when they do compare IOS, Andriod, Webos, Windows 7 mobile and blackberry OS they are comparing operating systems. They include all IOS devices in those lists.. check the small print :)

I wont pay for it I get Fox soccer plus for free on Time warner I subscribed for 15 dollars a month for Fox soccer TV and then they wanted me to pay more for the Ipad app.. sorry Fox I canceled my Fox Soccer TV and will use my slingbox

4. Harry says:

2 things to keep in mind. Fox is probably releasing the app for iPod/iPad first is because there isn’t a lot that they have to do to program the software across both types of devices. Along with that, when you start talking Droid apps, there is the issue that because the OSes fuction so differently among different phones (some have Gingerbread, some don’t etc and so on) it may still be some time before that app is released. For example I have both an iPad and a HTC Thunderbolt…guess which one is STILL waiting for Netflix? hehehe.

The 2 thing is PRICING. How much EXTRA will it cost to get this service once it’s released? I hope they tkae notes on how NFL is starting to branch out on mobile although here in the US many fans of the NFL get left out if they don’t have a Verizon phone (Sprint user especially) because that is the only way you can get the NFL Mobile app. Also recently ESPN finally came out with an app that allows veiwers to watch live and recorded content on their devices and both of these are free so long as you are a cable suscriber. So this is going to be a very good test to see if Fox can get the fire lit for soccer in the US in making an app that is affordable and easily accessible for fans.

5. Tuttle says:

Online usage and spending statistics are heavily on the iPad’s side over any and all Droid pads. Yea, for a phone Fox should certainly be looking at Android as well as iOS by now, but there’s absolutely no surprise whatsoever – from a marketing standpoint – that they’re coming out with an iOS Pad application before a Droid pad application.

6. Earl Reed says:

I like the hint that they may be investigating defraying the cost to subscribers of multiple platforms. FS.TV is an excellent product, but for me it’s either FS+ or FS.TV. I can’t afford to subscribe to both services. I’ve gone back and forth in the past year between the two, trying to decide whether convenience or higher resolution is worth more.

The other thing that I think would benefit FOX in the long run would be development of a Roku channel (or other digital media interface). I think there are many who would invest in the technology and the subscription service if they had a more convenient method to get FS.TV onto their television screens.

7. Matt says:

I would absolutely die to see this on XBox Live and PS3 as well. That is, as long as it wasn’t locked down to certain cable/internet providers.

I wish that the entanglements in telecom, internet, and cable industries weren’t so prevalent. If Fox Soccer could somehow begin to offer these services a la carte, I’d be interested to see what their revenue stream would begin to look like. For now though, I’ll settle for what they’re offering. It’s better than nothing.

Does anyone have the iPhone app? If so, can you give your thoughts on it thus far?

• Rick says:

I have an iPad and use the iPhone app for my foxsoccer.tv account. The app itself is ok, it has news and highlights from games free for all. With the foxsoccer.tv account you can watch live matches. The video quality is great, but the interface on the iPad looks terrible. The one thing the app needs (other than a better look) is to allow me to watch matches on demand like I can on my computer.

I’m interested to see what the bundled content will be. Right now it’s $13.99 a month for me to get FSC, so instead I just pay the extra dollar and get foxsoccer.tv.

8. Kimo C. says:

More Fox Footabll Fone In and less Soccer Talk please…….

9. Nelson says:

If this is anything like the current iphone app then it is useless to me as they do not provide any playback of games, ONLY live matches. Also they need to do a better job of cleaning up the fixture results, too many opportunities for spoilers.

10. Yespage says:

I think the only thing that is certain is that we won’t know what changes there will be until opening day. So I think it best if some just ignore this until mid August to save themselves the hassle of wondering what Fox is going to do.

Personally, I’d love to see FS+ and foxsoccer.tv merge together. I would however, settle for foxsoccer.tv improving the streaming capability. Since I got Netflix, I realized that it was foxsoccer.tv and not me causing the out of focus moments and hiccups. foxsoccer.tv has come a long way, but it still seems to be in a beta phase.

Fox does seem to be putting in an effort to improve their coverage, which is good. I’d just rather they not announce anything until after they have managed to get things up and going and knew exactly what they were planning.