SUN, 8:30AM ET
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

Wayne Rooney Has Disgraced Himself to Manchester United Fans

wayne rooney Wayne Rooney Has Disgraced Himself to Manchester United Fans

While the lot of the Internet waxes poetic on the Wayne Rooney saga from various corners of the globe, I’ve remained oddly quiet on a matter concerning the club I support and a player I’ve held in incredibly high regard for some time.

Rooney’s declaration of desire this past week hit me in that kind of ‘I don’t really want to believe it’ kind of way. As I traveled across the Atlantic Ocean and connected flights back to my home in Lexington, I’d hoped the 13 hours in the air would produce a sort of clean slate on the Rooney saga, that he’d wake up and realize the error of his ways. My thoughts remain astray.

Before I woke again Stateside I tried to convince myself that surely these quotes and statements were rumors conjured up by journalists like some bad spell from a part time witch. In my faux state of disbelief, I decided the truth would soon come out in regards to the lynchpin of the club I support and that he’d been misquoted and would then restate his desire to stay and fight for the league this season.

It seems for now at least, I must prepare myself for the worst while in the current state of football in 2010, I really should have seen this coming. What defines loyalty in players anymore anyway? It’s all so disheartening.

As a football fan, these are the kinds of scenarios you think about from time to time, but assume they’ll never actually happen. As Liverpool fans with Steven Gerrard, or Chelsea fans with Frank Lampard, United fans worship the ground Wayne Rooney walks on. The great revelation now is that we must all grasp the hard to digest fact that Rooney doesn’t walk on water and is more concerned with a few extra pounds than the overall cohesive best of the team. My naivety now erased.

In a nightmarish circumstance, United supporters, because of the behavior of one, are now being asked to choose between their club’s best player and the club itself, an institution they hold so dear. My advice to them: always back your club and the manager. The Wayne Rooney’s of the world will emerge again while the history of a club can never be replicated.

Isn’t Fergie Smelling Of Roses?

While Rooney was stretched off the Carrington training ground with yet another ankle knock, Sir Alex Ferguson was drawing a figurative line in the sand over the whole matter. Ambition!, Ambition you say? Rich comments coming from a young, petulant child directed towards a club the likes of Manchester United, and more specifically, a manager the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson who has won some 35 trophies as a manager at United.

While Fergie now scrambles to right the ship and to nip the whole affair before it spreads like a cancer through Old Trafford, Rooney patiently awaits the outcome of his self imposed exile. While he sits ankle up on the couch waiting for that big money call from City, Chelsea or heaven forbid, Real Madrid, United supporters are left to wonder where it all went wrong and how all of this happened so fast.

When the dust settles and cooler heads prevail to look back upon a series of unfortunate events, will Rooney’s behavior prove the catalyst to his fall from grace, or will Fergie’s classic stubbornness prove the originator that led to Rooney’s dispersion?

The answer: A – Because Rooney’s behavior isn’t some saddening cry for help from a young man looking to get his career back on track, to rediscover his form in pastures greener, or to make more money to support his family, it’s simply further proof that football is slightly diseased, that the thoughts and desires of the young and over-paid are clouded, ridiculous and absurd.

Want proof?

In Rooney’s tenure at Manchester United, he’s captured 3 Premier League trophies, 1 European Cup, 2 League Cups, 2 FA Community Shields and 1 FIFA Club World Cup, all since 2004. A pretty ‘ambitious’ collection if you ask me. I’m starting to get the feeling that young Mr. Rooney isn’t really sure what he wants at the moment. He’s a world class player who’s ‘out of class’ at the moment and is grasping at straws as his career, form, private life – both for club and country – slowly fades from his control.

Yet what of Rooney’s sentiment expressed in the lack of injection of new United blood to support him? While the Glazers remain strategically quiet on the matter and while the debt continues to mount, what of Rooney’s ideas that cash isn’t being splashed upon top talent? Does the boy have a point?

While the David Villa’s, Silva’s, Mesut Ozil’s and the like were all snatched up by Europe’s best over the summer, United secured the sig’s of Javier Hernandez, Chris Smalling and Bebe, not your upperclassmen of European football. But wasn’t Rooney himself in a similar situation in 2004 when he made the move from Everton?

While Roy Keane and Ruud van Nistelrooy left United soon after Rooney’s arrival, one player lamented to Ferguson that youngsters Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo weren’t good enough to win and also expressed his desire to leave. We all know how that ended.

The point here is that Rooney criticizing United for not injecting cash on new players, at least now, carries no validity. How does Rooney know that Chicharito isn’t the next 20 goal a season Premier League striker, or that Chris Smalling can’t soon replace Rio Ferdinand’s stature at the back? Is Rooney paid to judge these such aspects of football? The answer sadly remains no.

And what of Rooney’s current form? Is he currently playing like a player who can make absurd demands to leave his current club for a nice big money move away? Who’s to say he’ll find his best from anytime soon?

Until it remains abundantly clear that players are paid to play and managers are paid to manage and spot potential, the falling outs, the disagreements and the unsettled will continue to be a part of football. It’s an egotistical abomination and a sad reflection on the modern state of football.

Will I turn my back on the player I’ve enjoyed immensely over the past 5 or 6 years? Likely no, but Rooney’s actions, his statements of discontent and his desire to quit Manchester United prove to me that clubs will always be bigger than individual players and that certain players the likes of Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are more valuable, (should be) cherished and have more pride in their left foot than players like Wayne Rooney can ever hope to capture and display.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Wayne Rooney Has Disgraced Himself to Manchester United Fans

1. tonyspeed says:

i know this a bit off-colour. but once a scouser…. lol

2. Richard says:

What makes me laugh is that the ego that is now Wayne Roony (arriving at a match for England and I quote the worm “the big man’s in town”) states he wants to win trophies.

Wel he didnt look like he wanted to win during the world cup – fire him off and cash in because perhaps he’s finished anyway – washed up disgraced and certainly not wanted at UTD anymore.

• Frank says:

Your comments are 100% correct. Rooney has shown himself to be without class. He disrespects his wife, his family, his fans, his manager, his fellow players and his club. Just get shot of him.

3. Nigel Tilley says:

Why on earth would he treat Mun U (or Coleen) any differently than Everton? The man is loyal to no one. Stretford is partially to blame but if Rooney had ANY brains whatsoever he should have known he was being manipulated by that scumbag. He will end up like Gascoigne. No Ferguson, No Moyes, No Colleen to keep him centred ….. he’ll end up in jail / loony bin in no time. Sad I suppose but I hate the bastard.

4. Abdulkadir Musa Jibrin says:

This is the must captivating article i’ve read so far concerning the ‘Rooney” saga. I must say that we united fans are totally behind our dear club, not selfish and ungrateful players like Rooney. So what if he leaves?there will still be Manchester united and its rich history.

5. The Gaffer says:

Welcome back Jesse! It’s good to have you back on these shores.

6. hmmm says:

I’m with Nigel. He showed the same famous loyalty to Everton, his boyhood club. United fans expecting him to act differently strike me as extremely arrogant.

Clearly Rooney is a bit thick, should we be surprised he’s chasing more cash?

7. Simmo says:

Well said Jesse.
    What I find hard to believe is that Wayne Rooney is trying to make us all believe that all this is somehow the clubs fault! I’d have far more respect for him had he told the truth and stated he was moving on for more money.
    Fergie’s press conference was a PR masterpiece. It backed Rooney into a corner and he took the bait! The sheer crassness of his reply beggars belief! He insulted Ferguson, the players and the fans! All this from a player that only a few months ago was so concerned about his future he was cheating on his pregnant wife with hookers in hotel rooms!
    Last night Fergie stated the club will ‘nip all this in the bud.’ I guarantee he will do just that!

8. Jeet says:

I totally agree with U. Its his job to perform on the field and not think about what the manager is supposed to do. I have full faith on the great SAF and I know he can bring up another Ronaldo or Rooney within a 2 years time. As a United fan I feel really sad for SAF. For the first time I saw tears behind the eyes on that press conference. He has done so much for Rooney and this is how he repaid it . Now I think Ronaldo was way better in terms of showing Professionalism and respect to the old man.

9. Earl Reed says:

I guess he figured that he’d follow the Glazers’ suit. Fortunately for you guys you’ll still get to endure the inanity of their feckless oversight.

10. Guy says:

‘Ambition’!? That is rich! What is Wayne’s ambition today? To get a higher undeserved weekly pay to spend on prostitutes? That is clearly Rooney’s ambition and that hardly falls within sporting ethics let alone making his fan pay for his escapades. That is outright cheeky and stupid. His timing (or that of his agent) is also out of synch; had he been performing (both for country and club) he might have been excused for wanting more dough but it is no secret that most fans were abotu to give up on him returning to his previous form. Like other plays who are not sportsmen but businessmen looking for more cash I think that this situation could be a blessing in disguise.

11. Newton Heath says:

I think Rooney really likes the role of villain. Think about how much he likes taunting Pool fans when United play them. Think about how Rooney loves to taunt Everton fans at Goodison.

He’s a villain, he loves being the villain, and now he’s become the ultimate villain at the club that’s given him so much.

12. Dave says:

I think judging a man based on infidelity is something we should all pause before doing.

As far as the other stuff? I think anyone with half a brain can see the writing on the wall for Man U and their finances as well as the post Fergie transition.

As a player he has a right to declare his intentions ahead of time. If anything he is showing respect for the team instead of saying all the right things and secretly counting down the days until he can leave like others *cough*Fabregas*cough* he is making his intentions known ahead of time so Man U can do what’s best for the club while he does what’s best for himself.

People have falling outs. It happens. I think personally he should laid low another month then made his intentions known and got out in Jan without the extra month of constant badgering that he will get now, but oh well.

Man U will be fine without Rooney I’m sure. I also think he will end up somewhere else and do fine as well and life will go on.

13. Scott Alexander says:

“Is Rooney paid to judge these such aspects of football? The answer sadly remains no.”

If you are going to argue that then aren’t you implicitly arguing that Rooney should have never tried to join United in the first place?

We are all free to assign whatever motives we like to Rooney and it might well be that whatever he is saying is a smokescreen for his real motives but nonetheless his words aren’t inaccurate. Manchester United do look like a club in real crisis. Over the course of less than 15 years, the Glazer’s will have burnt more than a £1 billion of your money and the only thing that you are getting out of this is the privilege of having the Glazers destroy your club. Even refinanced, Manchester United will still be spending £45 million a year on interest payments that offer the club no discernible advantage whatsoever. You could have lower ticket prices or you could buy an extra Cesc Fabregras or David Villa every year or a Cristiano Ronaldo every two years for that kind of money.

14. tony says:

What Fergie ought to do is sit his ass for the remainder of his contract.

15. Ryne says:

Why wait out the remainder of his contract if they can get a monstrous transfer figure on an out-of-form superstar that doesn’t want to be there? ManU is too strapped for cash right now to simply throw that money away.

16. Jesus Briones says:

Excellent Article

I agree this is a low blow from Rooney, he should have mentioned his intentions to leave the club before the transfer window was closed. If rooney does not need Manchester United, Man UnT does not need Rooney

17. Dave C says:

“But wasn’t Rooney himself in a similar situation in 2004 when he made the move from Everton?”

No…he was arguably the most sought-after player in the premier league, and he’d been the revelation of Euro 2004. Nothing at all like signing a homeless guy you’ve seen on Youtube, or Chris Smalling, and even Chicharito didn’t have nearly the same kind of status/profile.

18. Lab Partner says:

“United supporters are left to wonder where it all went wrong and how all of this happened so fast” It didn’t happen fast. Manchester United has been in decline for a few years. Ferguson has done his best to keep the team up for as long as possible on a slim budget and he deserves credit for that. But this summer’s bargain signings (see: Bebe) did nothing to fix growing issues on the pitch. For all the promises made by the club about there being vast monies for Ferguson to spend on new signings, especially after Ronaldo’s sale, there has been no proof of it in practice. Rooney may not have been vocal about it until late, but it’s been obvious to everyone.

“While Fergie now scrambles to right the ship and to nip the whole affair before it spreads like a cancer through Old Trafford” The cancer was already there, but it was in remission. Rooney wanting out is a symptom, and not the disease itself. There will be others wanting out unless money starts getting spent on buying better players.

“How does Rooney know that Chicharito isn’t the next 20 goal a season Premier League striker, or that Chris Smalling can’t soon replace Rio Ferdinand’s stature at the back?” I could argue that Rooney sees them in practice so he knows better, but that’s pure mindreading speculation. What isn’t speculation is that other world class teams are buying known quantities (City: Tevez, Yaya Toure, Silva, Boateng, Milner and Balotelli; Chelsea: Benayoun and Ramires; Arsenal: Chamakh, Koscielny, and Squillaci; Real Madrid: Ozil, Carvalho and Khedira; Barcelona: Villa, and Macherano) in addition to relative unknowns (did I mention Bebe?) to fill the ranks of their teams. People can complain about Manchester City splashing ungodly sums of money around on new players, but for all the unseemliness of it, it is apparent that the owners want to win trophies.

But back to the question: “How does Rooney know that Chicharito isn’t the next 20 goal a season Premier League striker, or that Chris Smalling can’t soon replace Rio Ferdinand’s stature at the back?” How does anybody know it? How long is Rooney supposed to wait? How long are we supposed to wait?

“And what of Rooney’s current form? Is he currently playing like a player who can make absurd demands to leave his current club for a nice big money move away?” So he should wait until he gets his form back and then he’ll be in a position to criticize and switch teams? The same could be said of Manchester United in general: they haven’t lost any games, but they’re definitely lacking form as a team.

And all this talk about “loyalty” in professional football. Most fans don’t have a problem when a manager decides to sell a player because he isn’t performing well. Seldom do you hear fans complaining that a club isn’t displaying enough loyalty towards a player who has been playing below standard for a while. But there’s a different standard when a player thinks a team is becoming lackluster.

I totally agree that Rooney is putting his greed on display throughout this episode. But he’s also right that Manchester United is a team in decline. If the team shows no sign of improving he has an absolute right to move on. I have no doubt Manchester United would drop Rooney like a bad penny if he put in several years of declining performances. And there wouldn’t be many fans complaining about Manchester United’s lack of loyalty.

• John M. says:

Couldn’t agree more with the disheartened sentiments. Last year’s badge-kissing and proclamation of his desire to remain at United for life ring very hollow in light of Rooney’s more recent statements about the club’s ambition. I suppose a certain level of naivete on the part of United fans existed after that statement in hopes of seeing another talent commit himself to the club for life ala Scholes, Giggs, Neville. Still, Rooney’s departure here seems very unlike his jump from Everton in that Man Utd. are still a top club competing for multiple trophies year in and year out.

The most revealing element of the whole saga is his attitude towards Ferguson. It is nothing but petulance for Rooney to say to SAF that he doesn’t believe that the club has high ambitions for the future. While everyone knows that the Glazer regime has mitigated spending, it isn’t as though United have been a Real, Chelski, et al in terms of spending frivolously year after year. Last year United were a mere point away from retaining the league title for a record 4th year in a row, and had Rooney not hobbled off injured they might well have held off Bayern and advanced in the CL. With that in mind, SAF looked for starlets to cement the future for United, as he always does. Would Rooney stay if they had procured Ozil, Villa, et al? Hard to say, but in light of ALL of the events surrounding the last few months, I have to say that Rooney proved himself to be another selfish, shortsighted footballer who will sooner than later regret the day he crossed SAF and left United.

• Brad says:

A team in decline? Refresh my very short term memory but didn’t United win the premiere league 3 times in a row not too long ago. What high standards you have Mr. Lab Partner. Some of you people are completely spoiled by the success of this club and I can’t tell you how many ill conceived predictions I have read over the years on the “decline” of Manchester United. For goodness sakes we sit in fourth place and you’d think we were in a relegation battle. United have just the right people to deal with this situation and don’t be surprised if this team builds a siege mentality and starts winning games. Rooney will definitely look back on this with a lot of regret but Manchester United is like a train, people get on, and people get off, but it keeps on moving.

19. Diriye says:

It is either about Rooney or about United, you can’t win both arguments.

if it is about the club, Rooney carried United all by himself last year. At least he deserved one or two world class player to shoulder the weight. May be he figured United was on rebuilding face and he didn’t want be held back. If its is about Rooney, even Somali pirates know the guy is having personal issues, he wants to bite one of those sheikh cows, who doesn’t?

United didn’t have the money to bring Ozil, Dzeko, Schweinsteiger and opted for rebuilding. This is a fact?

• Andrei says:

“if it is about the club, Rooney carried United all by himself last year”

Statements like this is a gross exaggeration which is disrespectful to other United players. It is if VDS and Vidic were not solid in the back, there was not vast improvement and increase in contribution from Nani, Valencia didn’t have surprisingly good season or outstanding effort from veteran players like Gigs didn’t happen. Yes, Rooney was a go to guy and the tactics were based on getting the most out of him. For the most season Rooney was the lone striker and he took majority of shots (182 compared to Berbatov’s 98 or Nani’s 62). But most of the goals were result of a team effort. I hardly remember Rooney creating something single-handedly or out of nothing. And he had surprisingly small number of assists – just 3.

20. Smokey Bacon says:

Rooney’s position at United is now untenable. How can he set foot on the pitch between now and January when he will be sold? I think the 18 year old Rooney would stay at Man Utd out of respect for the club and the manager. But the 24 year old Rooney is now just another mercenary willing to work for the highest bidder. As if the 150k/week United were offering is not enough. Hopefully the move to City backfires badly. On the plus side, this is beginning of the end for the Glazers.

21. dlink09 says:

i am Arsenal Fan. i gotta tell i felt sad for Fergie after watching his 6 min video. and then comes this ***** with his statement (written by his agent/lawyers) questioning MANU ambition.. greedy bastard/wh***..