What Americans See When They Think Of Brits
Being born in the United Kingdom and having lived in the United States for more than 25 years, I’ve dealt with many years of jokes and abuse from Americans who tell me point blank what they think of Brits. After years of experience, I’ve heard so many stereotypes that Americans have about Brits that I thought I’d share them with you. This is what many of them believe:
- That Brits have bad teeth,
- Most of the men are gay,
- English football is played by wimps,
- British cuisine is disgusting, bland and fried (or a combination of all three),
- British women are ugly and don’t shave their underarms,
- All football supporters are hooligans, and
- Americans can’t understand what most Brits say.
Believe it or not, but many British programmes on US TV feature subtitles that run across the bottom of the screen whenever Brits speak. Such is the perceived extent that many Americans have difficulty in understanding British accents on programmes such as Skins, Ashes to Ashes, Last Restaurant Standing and other shows.
What are your thoughts about Americans having these stereotypes about Brits? Click the comments link below and share your opinion.