Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Which Football Clubs Do You Support?

football clubs of northwest england Which Football Clubs Do You Support?

It’s now possible for football supporters to watch most of the major foreign and domestic leagues either on television or on the Internet. As a result, the number of clubs that a supporter follows has presumably grown from one to many.

So, what clubs do you support from the different leagues around the world, why, and how did you become a supporter of that club?

Click the comments link below to share your favourites. I’ve listed mine here:

• Premier League: None
  • Football League: Swansea City (my local club I’ve supported religiously through the good and the bad since 1979)
  • Welsh Premier League: Newtown AFC (the town where I spent many summers with my grandparents, when they were alive, and where I fell in love with the club from Latham Park)
  • Major League Soccer: None (formerly Miami Fusion)
  • USL: Miami FC (my local team who are floundering with tiny attendances, but who I remain faithful to)
  • National teams: Wales (my birthplace and where I grew up), England (my father is English and most of my relatives are English), and the United States (my new homeland; I’ve followed and supported the national team since the mid-1980s).

In addition to the above leagues, I also follow La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A — but I watch the games to enjoy the football and don’t support any specific clubs.

It is interesting how football fans have become more cosmopolitan over the last decade with the prevalence of foreign football on our television sets and via the Internet. I’m curious to hear from you, the readers, to see what clubs you support — and whether any of the European visitors have MLS teams you follow.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Which Football Clubs Do You Support?

1. Jacopo Belbo says:

Premier League: Manchester United; as an american the Red Devils were about the only English team (with liverpool) of which news ever reached these shores. And of course my musical facination with the city of Manchester during the late 80s and early 90s dovetailed nicely with focusing my football passions there too.

Other English Leagues: Well, honestly it has always been Wolverhampton since their relegation from the Prem last time so I guest keeping them listed here under League Championship is not entirely accurate but I don’t expect them (unfortunately) to stay long in the Prem. Except for twice a year I don’t really see much incompatibility in rooting for the Wolves. There is also a soft spot I have for Leeds United, a fellow Premiership team back when I first started following Man Utd, whom I would love to see pull themselves back up to the big time and hand off the title of “miserably failed big club” to Newcastle.

MLS: DC United & Seattle Sounders; with no local MLS team my allegiance was given to DC United when the league first started since it was coached by Bruce Arena and had the only “European” sounding club name. With the MLS expansion into my favourite city (which I would love to move to) I have become a bit of a Sounders fan … and love to see the huge numbers coming out to support them.

Other European Leagues: I have also been known to follow closely the exploits of Ajax (fallen on hard times sadly), PSG (ditto for the former Ligue 1 dominators) and Roma.

National Team: As one of the world’s largest Anglophiles (due mostly to my life long obsession with Brit-Pop as they call it) my dedication on the International level is given to England. My homeland the good ol USA comes in a close 3rd behind the Netherlands, who, while they haven’t really won much in my lifetime, have always had some of my favourite players (RVN) and played some of the prettiest attacking football.

2. Jose says:

Premiere Leage – Arsenal, Fulham & Aston Villa
    Football League – I really only enjoy watching the promotion playoff games. Exciting stuff.
    MLS – I don’t really have a favorite team. I just enjoy watching the games especially with the commentators from Univision/Telefutura/Galavision. Those guys are awesome and make it fun.
    Primera División de México – Los Aguilas de America
    National Teams – USA Men’s & Women’s all age groups, England, & Mexico
    WPS – I don’t have a home team to support yet, but I enjoy watching the games every Sunday afternoon on FSC. I like seeing the USA national team stars and the internationals competing regularly.
    I follow Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga via highlights and news stories on Sky Sports News via FSC and online English newspapers and blogs like this one.

3. Joao says:

I realize this is fan-heresy but I have a hierarchy of rooting interest in each league, which means I follow more than one team in each league with varying degrees of passion. Flame me all you want, but that is the only way you can get me to care enough for a league to follow it even when my team is not playing.

EPL:
    Favorite team: Newcastle (Well, I guess no longer EPL)
    Sympathize with among the big four: Liverpool (by process of elimination I figured I hated ManU, Arsenal, and Chelsea more than I hated Liverpool); Fulham (had to have a London team)

La Liga:
    Favorite team: Atletico Madrid (I spent a summer in Madrid and couldn’t well choose Real Madrid)
    Sympathize with: Barca (in a straight fight between Real and Barca I pick Barca)

Serie A:
    Favorite team: Inter
    Sympathize with: Genoa (one quarter of my ancestors hail from there)

Bundesliga:
    Favorite team: Dortmund (no other reason than that I like the kit and the Dortmund-style beer)
    Sympathize with: Koln (lovely city; and Borussia (like the jersey)

Argentina:
    Favorite team: Racing Club (just the right combination of tradition and hopelessness; plus it’s my father-in-law’s team)
    Sympathize with: Estudiantes (love the kit, like the city, great tradition, Veron is one of my favorite players);

Brazil:
    Favorite team: Atletico Mineiro (another nice combination of tradition and hopelessness; my favorite places in Brazil are in Minas Gerais)
    Sympathize with: Vasco de Gama (how can you not root for a team named after the great explorer); Bahia (one of my favorite Brazilian cities)

4. Eladio says:

EPL: Arsenal. After reading “About a Boy” in 2001, I had to read everything else Nick Hornby wrote, which at that time was only “High Fidelity” and “Fever Pitch”. “Fever Pitch” got me interested in Arsenal, then went to London in 2003 and went to a game at Highbury, and that clinched it.

Other English Teams: Sheffield Wednesday (long story, but it has to do with Twin Peaks and Michael Palin); Leeds (Not really a fan, but I have a good friend who’s a die-hard Leeds fan, and his moping of them in League One is really irritating); Nottingham Forest (having to do with a drunken night at a bar in Naples, FL where I met 3 guys from Nottingham, and ended up smoking cigars with them on the beach at 3 am.)

Other European Teams: Sevilla. Have a brother-in-law that used to live there.

MLS: None (Long time ago was the Tampa Bay Mutiny; Kind of root for the Chicago Fire now, only because Patrick Nyarko’s on the team)

National teams: USA! USA! And sometimes Cameroon.

5. Akers says:

Premier League: Man United (‘my club’). Family from Manchester and big followers.
    Football League: Huddersfield Town (2nd club). Birthplace.
    National team: England.

Other than the clubs I’m fond of for various reasons.
    Scottish Prem: Rangers.
    Welsh League: None.
    MLS: None.
    La Liga: None.
    Serie A: Juventus.
    Bundesliga: None.
    National Teams: Holland (I like a lot of Dutch players and their fans), Wales (family connection), N. Ireland (family connection).

6. Reb3llist says:

EPL – Arsenal, they’re the team that started my fascination in football. They were just amazing with Bergkamp and the likes. Their attractive football is also another great prospect.

National – I’m more of a neutral but I’d root for England or Spain. I don’t know why but somehow I just end up rooting for England because I watch the EPL, which is from England.

And I watch other leagues for fun, besides La Liga because I like how Barca plays.

7. BD says:

The earliest I can remember was as a kid watching a Bundesliga special on channel 2 (PBS) once a week and there was NOTHING else. Now with FSC, GOLTV, and Setanta USA (if they last), I can watch all the time…..

Prem: Chelsea (Years ago, a friend of mine had made a tape of Zola footage and he made me take notice of my soon to be favorite football team!)

La Liga: Real Zaragoza (We are back; hopefully, we don’t get relegated again.)

Bundesliga: VFB Stuttgart (sad to see Gomez go, but still got Cacau)

Serie A: AS Roma (love the city)

MLS: Don’t really follow it…

USL: Miami FC (Gotta follow my hometown team!)

National teams: USA / England

8. Jorge says:

easy:

Britain: Newcastle
    Spain: Barcelona
    Portugal: FC Porto (local team)
    Italy: Sampdoria

9. Dave says:

SPL: Celtic

EPL: Newcastle, though since they won’t be in the EPL this year I am not sure, I’ll probably still follow them in the Championship League and watch EPL games with varying levels of interest.

National Team: England and USA

MLS: Kansas City Wizards <-my hometown team.

10. deckylees says:

Premier League: Chelsea

Football League: Wycombe Wanderers (they are good you have to admit)

MLS: LA Galaxy not because of David Beckham but because my uncle used to play for them

La Liga: Real Madrid

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich

Serie A: Inter Milan

Ligue 1: Lyon

SPL: Celtic

National: Czech Republic don’t no why but i just like them

11. NJ says:

EPL: Also a victim of Fever Pitch, if restoked an interest that was traditionally hard to follow, and have been an Arsenal fan since.

Football League: I always keep my eye on Leeds, what a tragedy, I guess being from Chicago you feel sorry for the down and out teams.

La Liga: is the other league I follow closely, I’ve taken a liking to the lower first tier teams, i.e. Valencia/Sevilla

MLS: clearly being from Chicago I am a Fire fan

National team: the good ole Red White and Blue.

12. Katie says:

Premier League: Manchester United. Grew up in Germany; English speaking school with classmates who supported. Twas Mark Hughes in the FA cup final 1990. Then of course, Ryan Giggs.

Football League: Sheffield Wednesday but to be honest, don’t follow too much (maybe 2 matches per season are televised here in the USA and none now that Setanta has gone out).

MLS: I guess DC United, but all MLS football is piss poor really.

La Liga: Not bothered

Bundesliga: Not bothered

Serie A: I hate Italian football. Second to only Central American in most hated style of football

Ligue 1: Not bothered

SPL: Celtic

National: England, USA, Ireland and Scotland but they’ll break your heart.

13. Mike K says:

Premier League: Arsenal…at 9 my first football video game got me into the team…it helped that they had Bergkamp and Henry so I naturally loved how I was scoring so easily. Then I started watching on TV and Henry got me hooked. Following them religiously since.

Scottish Premier League: Rangers…my dad’s team, and who can go wrong with 111 trophies? Great blue kit as well

Spain: Barcelona…great football. And an old Arsenal legend in Henry

Italy: Inter…I’ve been a fan of Roma & Juventus in the past due to players they’ve had, but I can say that I really don’t like AC Milan…or the Italian national team for that matter.

MLS: Chicago Fire (hometown)…been going to games for years and even though they haven’t won the MLS Cup in 11 years, they’ve had some great players. Hopefully they can finish strong this year and win it.

National Team: If I had to go by heritage, it’d be Ireland, but I’ve barely ever seen them play. By birthplace, the US. I’ve had a love-hate relationship with the US, mainly due to how poorly some of the players have done in the past and how the likes of Donovan piss me off at times (he gets way to much credit, scores 75% of his goals from PKs, and his failure to make it at a decent team in Europe is a joke – Dempsey & Bradley are much better players). I’ve been proud of their performance in the Confederations Cup, and I hope they carry that mentality and work rate to the World Cup next summer.
    My adopted teams have been Scotland and Spain. Scotland for the fact that a few ‘Gers boys are on the team (too bad about Ferguson) and I grew to like them during their rise in EURO 2008 qualifying (another reason why I don’t like the Italians). Torres when he was at Atletico and Fabregas being a young Arsenal boy got me into Spain.

14. Gaz says:

EPL: Liverpool! Although my local as a kid was Aston Villa, I started watching around ’88 and I liked John Banes and Ian Rush. I guess I was a little of a front-runner as a 9 year old and I’ve gotten tons of crap over the years for it from family. However, I just remind them that 20 years on and I’m still with the same club.

MLS: Will be my local Philly Union team starting next year.

National: England! Though I do watch the US with keen interest.

I’m not sure how people can support two teams in the same league? Doesn’t it almost always contrast? Every game has implications on the other games so you will always have to pick one in the end… why not just pick one and go all out!

15. Francisco says:

I’ve been watching football on the internet for 3 or 4 years now. I always loved football, and now i support quite a few teams that i follow regularly (like every week) if their matches are on Sopcast.

In Portugal, i support Boavista FC, former champions in 2000. Now we’re on 2nd Division (3rd level), but there’s a chance that we stay in Vitalis (2nd level). We’re facing a very serious financial crisis, but let’s see how we’ll do in the next months. I work as a Communication Director in Boavista.
    My 2nd team is IFK Norrköping, from Sweden. I’ve supported them since i visited Sweden in 2002. The team now plays in Superettan (2nd level), but it’s a team with lots of fans and plenty of trophies and national titles.
    I also support FC Vaduz (Liechtenstein), Tampere Utd (Finland, actual champions), Athletic Bilbao (Spain – i always admired them), Heereveen (The Netherlands) and St. Pauli (Germany).

In England, i support QPR and Dagenham & Redbridge. Dag & Red now play in Coca Cola League 2 after several seasons in Nationwide Conference. I can’t explain why i like them, i guess i found their name quite cool in 2003 and started following them. Now i check their results every week, and i’ve watched 2 matches on the internet!

16. thomas says:

EPL: Hull City. I’ve followed them since the the 3rd Division. Supported Chelsea when Hull were not in the Prem.

Ligue 1: St. Etienne. Like the band, the history, and the name.

MLS: DC United. Gotta support a local team right?

Argentina: Huracan in the top division. And Ferro Carril Oeste in the lower leagues, which was a local team when I lived in BsAs.

National: America, first and foremost. And then in descending order Ireland, England, and Argentina.

17. Lyle says:

England: Fulham (www.fulhamusa.com) (circa 2006-2007)

Germany: 1. FC Köln (circa 2000-2001)

National: USA (circa 1998)

18. EPL- Fulham

I’ve followed Fulham since the 2000-2001 season. My wife, who was living in London at the time, introduced me to the club. At first I had to buy a multi-region VHS player in order to watch the tapes she would send me. Thank god for DirecTV and the internet, I can follow them on some level every week now.

MLS- Chicago Fire

The first soccer team I really supported beyond our National Team. Followed Chicago from their first season in MLS. Was drawn to support the Fire because they are the closest club to where I live in Michigan. Fulham have passed the Fire as far as my “passion” goes, but the beauty of the MLS season is that I can follow both clubs without much conflicts. Plus I never have an “off season” per say.

La Liga & Serie A: Don’t have a favorite club but I do enjoy watching the games.

National Teams: USA of course. However, I also support Wales (I have Welsh blood) and South Africa (My wife is South African). However, if either play the U.S., the Yanks have my full support.

I only watch the USL if I’m bored. Same could be said about the leagues in Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Brazil, etc.

19. Neal says:

England: Liverpool, my family hosted a few players from one of Liverpool’s youth teams during the Dallas Cup (circa 1986) and they gave me a signed poster of the senior squad, from that point forward I was a fan!

MLS: Dynamo, been a fan since they moved to Houston in 2006

National: USA, of course; I also cheer for England and Wales

20. bluebird says:

Ethan…

Welsh Premier League – You have to support Caersws… Newtown are a poorly run club who have won nothing in the last 17 seasons!!

• The Gaffer says:

I’ve been to Caersws many times but have never come across their football pitch. It’s a small village, but where are you hiding the ground?

Newtown may not have won anything in eons, but they’ve competed in Europe and have finished as runners-up quite a few times.

21. AlexZ says:

MLS: Earthquakes. Rep the Bay.
    EPL: Spurs, almost entirely because of their partnership with the Quakes.

I am also partial to CSKA Moscow for family reasons. My national team is, of course, the USA, but if they aren’t affected, I root for Russia (the land of my birth) or the Netherlands, cause the Dutch are just an awesome people that play awesome soccer.

22. Raatzie says:

England:

Prem:

supporter: Liverpool

enjoy: Arsenal (style of play), Everton, Aston Villa, Wigan (to varying degrees, overachieve while underfunded – obviously Lerner may change this for Villa), Hull and Burnley (my favorite of the so-called underdogs).

Football League: I’ve never had a chance to watch anything other than the playoffs, so I can’t make an informed decision.

Spain:

enjoy: Barca, Valencia purely for Villa and the soon-to-be-Red (fingers crossed) Silva.

do not enjoy: Real Madrid (the spending sprees, CR7, the prusuit of our DMFs, the fans, the off-the-field history)

Italy, Germany, France: Haven’t watched enough, can’t make an informed decision.

MLS: none (may change when the Union arrive, but West Chester is a trek from where I live in Jersey, so it may not)

national teams:

support: US, Spain (the LFCers + Villa and Silva)

enjoy: Argentina, Holland, Gerrard (not so sure about the rest of England – well, Johnson, too, now :) ).

23. josh says:

# Premier League: Chelsea
    # Football League: Swansea City
    # Welsh Premier League: sad but Port Talbot
    # Major League Soccer: sad also but GALAXY
    # USL: none
    # National teams: USA first, then France,Italy, then WALES

• The Gaffer says:

What!? There’s another Swansea City supporter in the United States other than me? :)

• Mark says:

Make that three Gaffer. Although I’m a huge Liverpool supporter, I’m Welsh on my father’s side and have become a Swansea City supporter as well. I don’t get to watch them much, but I did catch the Carling Cup derby with Cardiff last year and a few other matches as well. I wish Roberto had stayed around, but I wish him well at Wigan. Hopefully they will continue to play his attractive style of football and gain another promotion.

• The Gaffer says:

I was sad to see Roberto Martinez leave too, but the next best thing is to see how well he does with Wigan this coming season. Let’s hope we’ll be able to see more Swansea games on telly this coming season too. They certainly look impressive. Just have to hope they can hold on to most of their players.

24. Spenser says:

I’m an American, and have played soccer for a few years, but only recently really become a religious fan and supporter, and I’ve grown to love it so much.

English Premier League: I’ve become a rabid Liverpool fan over the last couple years. It makes no sense, as my childhood contained no soccer fandom and my parents dont like the sport at all. But something drew me to Liverpool–the history, the fans, the culture, I just love the club so much. I’ve joined the official club, bought an eSeason ticket, all of it. I am just so in love with the club. Seriously, no idea why, but I’m just a natural Red through and through. I won’t fully support any other EPL club.

Italy: Inter Milan, I just made a choice, and really like some of the current players, especially Zlatan.

Spain: Atletico Madrid, started because it was Fernando Torres’ boyhood club, but then I just started watching them and loved watching Diego Forlan, Simao, Maxi, Kun Aguero and the rest.

MLS: FC Dallas, because I was born there and still live in DFW. Don’t keep too much track because MLS games are so freaking boring.

SPL: Just decided to follow Rangers, partly because they have some Americans on the squad. I just wanted some more clubs to keep track of and buy jerseys from :P

Bundesliga: I used to support Bayern, but holy crap they are annoying! I’m hating Ribery right now, and the signing of Mario Gomez just pissed me off. So I’ve decided to support Werder Bremen, I’m a fan of Torsten Frings, and after seeing Mesut Ozil play in the U21 championships, I think he’s the future of German Football.

National Teams: the USA obviously are my number 1, especially after the Confed Cup I had extreme national pride. After that I’d say I support England and Spain and probably Germany…more or less. I enjoy watching the Dutch and Argentina play too, and I’ll probably buy some jerseys from them. National teams are more about the players for me, but I will always support the USA first, then probably England next.

I just love buying kits, and most of the teams could change, except Liverpool. I’m fully in love with that club.

25. Radovan says:

EPL: Liverpool (I guess from my father)

SPL: Celtic (but to be honest I only watch the Old Firm games)

National: Ireland (that’s where I grew up)

MLS: I have attempted the past two seasons to get into MLS and even though I go out of my way to try, I end up losing interest a few weeks into the season. The team I try to follow is New England

La Liga: Real Madrid (joke, never really watched La Liga that much but it is amazing how many people seem to be Real Madrid fans now)

26. Gary says:

Premier League – Chelsea; As an American, my first professional football match, other than a NASL Cosmos match when I was 6, was a friendly between Chelsea and AC Milan at Giants Stadium in 2005. A co-worker had a spare ticket and asked if I wanted to go. I hadn’t known anything about the EPL, nor of Chelsea at the time but have come to love the club and have turned my entire family in Blues supporters. Been to the Bridge 4 times in the past 4 years and was in the Blues Bar for the CL Final between Chelsea and United. Even got caught up in the aggro outside the So Bar walking to Fulham Broadway after the match. Chelsea ’til I die.

Football League – Southend United; my mate’s brother-in-law is their backup keeper so I always keep an eye out for their results.

Serie A – Inter Milan; Ever since Mourinho went there, I’ve kept an eye on their performances.

Portugal – FC Porto; my brother-in-law is off-the-boat Portuguese and he and his whole family are Portistas. Again, will support them unless they are drawn against Chelsea.

Spain – Villarreal; purely a Jozy Altidore fan, so hoping he comes back from Xerex to play in the first team. Can’t abide Barcelona given the second leg of the CL Semi-final this year nor can I Real Madrid with Cristiano Ronaldo. Hate that prick.

SPL – Rangers; Again, because of the Americans on the squad.

MLS – New York Red Bulls; Local team and since I only get to London about once a year, the only footy there is to watch live. From last year’s improbable run to this year’s abject failure, a team that is not for the faint of heart.

National – USA and England; The USMNT is a given and hopefully we can continue to improve, especially building on the results against Spain and Brazil. With England, since there are so many Chelsea players in the squad, I always support them and it is a tough call when they play the US (like last year when Terry got the header to win the friendly just after the CL loss in Moscow).

27. Evan says:

Premier League: Manchester City
    Football League: Cardiff City
    Serie A: AC Milan
    MLS: New York Red Bulls
    USL: Austin Aztex
    National: USMNT

28. Sam says:

EPL- Tottenham Hotspur(dont know why), Liverpool
    Serie A- Juventus
    Bundesliga- Werder Bremen
    MLS- Toronto FC(as local as iwll get in western new york)
    Real Salt Lake(Beckerman is the man)
    USL- Rochester Rhinos( local)
    national- USA ireland czech republic

29. Mike C says:

West Ham: Worked in London for a time about 10 years ago and a co-worker took me to Upton Park. Loved the atmosphere, and have remained a hammers fan ever since, still fly to London once a year to see a match.
    Montreal Impact (USL) Nearest ‘pro’ team
    Vermont Voltage (USL ‘D’ division) Local team
    Bayern Munich: Where my ancestors hail from.
    USA national

30. Joaq says:

Premier League: Manchester United
    Football League: Ipswich Town
    National: United States

Anything other than that, I really don’t find important or good enough to watch.

31. Josh says:

EPL – Manchester City. A friend from work followed them and when I started watching in earnest 4 years ago, it seemed the natural choice.

Football League – Leicester City. Again, another friend has supported them for years. It was nice to see them move up this year.

SPL – the Hearts. I’m not sure why.

MLS – Seattle Sound. Hopefully they will be my home team someday.

USL – Austin Aztex. The hometown team.

Brazil – Atletico Mineiro. I just recently started following them after a friend married a guy from Brazil.

32. Jeremy says:

EPL: Wigan-I became a huge soccer fan while living in Ecuador in 2007-2008. Before that I was a casual (at best) follower who could only name the top 10 or so clubs in the world. I chose Wigan to follow since they were an underdog club and had Ecuador’s top player in Valencia.

Ecuador Serie A: Macara- a small, mid-table club that was the closest top flight team to where I lived.

MLS: Philadelphia Union- I’m excited to support this team from the start. I did follow DC United some in their late 90′s glory years.

National Teams: USA and Ecuador. My greatest nightmare would be if the US fell to 4th in CONCACAF and Ecuador took the 5th spot in CONMEBOL and they had to play for the World Cup berth.

Other clubs I follow from a distance: Motherwell (SPL), Valencia (LaLiga) and Roma (Serie A).

33. Shakira says:

English Coca-Cola Champioship: Derby County
    Blue Square North: Stafford Rangers ( my very first team in Football Manager)
    SPL: Hibernian
    USL: Atlanta Silverbacks (well I did when I live there)
    National: USA

34. edgar says:

EPL: Manchester United! I know, I know. Another yank fan of Manchester United. Actually, the only reason that i became a fan of United was because United was the first EPL team i saw play. Its was in the World Club Cup. I remember they were playing in the Azteca Stadium versus Club America. United won 2-0, and fell in love. Van Nistelrooy scored. Van Nistelrooy was my favorite player at the time. I love the EPL in general, I love watching just about any team in the Prem play. Every season i like to root for a team that is fighting the relegation zone also. I’m kind of fond of Tottenham also, even though my boy bobby would not like me saying that, seeing as how he is an arsenal supporter.

My buddy bobby got me hooked on the prem. I used to watch all kinds of american sports and since i discovered the Prem, well, i cannot watch any other sport. Its just boring!

La Liga: (it was Barcelona bc i hate Madrid, but after defeat to them in the Champions League Final, i’m not too fond of them anymore.)

Bundesliga: (Bayern Munich. I like Wolfsburg’s kit, Werder kit)

Serie A: (Inter Milan, but they win all the time, its just boring. Italian Football is boring)

Ligue 1: (PSG!)

MLS: (FC Dallas! Come on Dallas!)

Primera Division de Mexico: (Necaxa! Even though they were relegated this past torneo. My Grandparents live in Aguascalientes and i’ve had the privilege to watch them play two time in Aguascalientes.)

National Team: (USA! First and foremost, i support the USA. I am Mexican-American, and i do have people question me for my support of the US national team all the time. Specially Mexican fans. The way i look at it, is i was born in the USA, and hell, even Americans do not root for the USMNT! I do support other national teams though, England (EPL), Holland ( Dutch players: Van Nistelrooy, Edgar Davids, Schnieder, Van der Vart, Van der Saar… and Germany (Bundesliga) I like Scotland’s kit.

35. CA_backpacker says:

EPL: Favorite team: Liverpool. I also rooted this last year for Sunderland, when Keeno was manager and they had such a stable of Irish players (wife is of Irish decent and we go to the Emerald Isle frequently, so the link had to happen!), but less so now. I tend to pick a freshly promoted team and root for them to stay up for a season or two…

La Liga: Barca, especially with Real playing “Chelski” and trying to buy their way to success.

Serie A: Too much diving/simulation in Italy for me to stomach watching their matches for very long. Wish Drogba would head there, he would fit in perfectly.

Bundesliga: Favorite team: Koln, the company I work for (in the US) has its main HQ close by, and the last time I visited the HQ I was taken to a match.

Brazil: see Serie A.

MLS: I guess Galaxy as LA is my hometown, but really I can’t stomach the poor quality of play in the MLS for very long. Only saving grace is they play when all the good leagues are on summer break…

36. Tim says:

I watch a lot of EPL games and i have started to watch some other leagues, but I will only be loyal and be a fan to one team. DC United. I’m black and red through and through. I root for Everton and Fulham in the prem, but it would be a wild overstatement to say im fans of them.

USA, I love them unconditionally just as DC.

37. Geoff says:

EPL:
    1. Manchester United; as some others have said, when I first decided to start following soccer, this was one of the few teams to get regular (read: any) air time. And for me to support/follow a team, I need to be able to have access to a majority of their games.
    2. Fulham; because of Dempsey and because I’ve attended one of their matches

Hodgepodge of teams just because of the Americans playing for them:
    M Gladbach, Rennes, Villarreal, Rangers, wherever Onyewu and Davies end up

MLS: None

USL: Portland Timers; hometown

National:
    1. USA
    2. USA
    3. USA
    4. France
    and then I follow the progress of England, Scotland, Holland, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Spain, Germany, and Italy

38. billmapguy says:

Thanks for featuring my primitive little map, Gaffer !

39. Jonathan says:

MLS: The Houston Dynamo
    USL: Austin Aztecs
    EPL: Fulham
    Championship: Leicester City FC
    La Liga: No specific team – Enjoy Barcellona, Real Madrid

40. Nicholas says:

Premiership: Fulham (I’m an American, but I’ve seen them play at the Cottage once, I’ve been following them since 2001)

La Liga: No one, I can’t really find a team that interest me

Serie A: AC Milan I guess (Serie A is boring)

Bundesliga: Werder Bremen is a lot of fun to watch, can’t say I support them however

Ligue 1: PSG (Sessegnon is one of my favorite players)

SPL: Celtic ( A friend of mine moved from Scotland 2 years ago and Is a huge Rangers fan. I started supporting the hoops to piss him off.)

MLS: I’m not all stuck up about the level of play deal or anything, but there is no MLS team in Atlanta right now. Yeah, I know the Silverbacks exist in the USL, but I haven’t seen them play yet.

National: USA

41. Bird says:

La Liga: Barcelona (fun fun fun)
    Premier League: Liverpool (a lot of players from the Spanish national team)
    Bundesliga: VFL Wolfsburg (Makoto Hasebe from the Japanese national team plays for the club)
    J-League 1: Urawa Red Diamonds (My parents’ local team)
    MLS: None
    USL 1: Charleston Battery (my local team + Tsuyoshi Iwatake, a former J-League midfielder plays for the club )
    National Teams: Spain (a lot of Barcelona and Liverpool players), Japan (I was born and grew up there)

42. Pumas Fan says:

Primera División de México: Pumas (UNAM)
    Primera División de Honduras: Motagua
    MLS: Colorado Rapids
    USL: Austin Aztex
    League of Ireland: Galway United FC
    La Liga: Real Madrid
    EPL: Liverpool
    National Teams: U.S., Mexico, Honduras, Ireland, Faroe Islands (they need all the help they can get)

43. Greg says:

I’ve primarily become a fan of various teams through seeing them play in person, generally via their preseason tours of the US.

EPL: Chelsea; I’ve also seen Tottenham, Aston Villa, Everton, Fulham, and West Ham so I like watching them on TV as well
    Serie A: AS Roma
    SPL: Celtic
    MLS: Columbus Crew (I live in Columbus)
    Argentina Primera Division: Boca Juniors
    National team: USA

44. Patrick says:

Country USA (i’m American) and England ( my wife is from London)
    England, West Ham United.
    Fizzy, QPR
    MLS I will support the Philadelphia Union. Playing in the town I was born, Chester, PA. I can’t believe they put a team in Chester, its the town time forgot. If MLS had half a brain they would put a team in Queens or Brooklyn; one of the largest untapped group of support in the world. Red Bull play in New Jersey and many won’t cross the river, but put it off a subway line you have a gold mine.

defunct
    NASL Philadelphia Atoms at Franklin Field went a few times as a young kid, I’m sure I saw some legends but if I could only remember back that far. But I had the kit and wore it non stop as a kid.

45. LI Matt says:

England: Tottenham. Being Jewish, I was fascinated by the presence of “Jewish clubs” around Europe. There are several, Spurs and Ajax are the most prominent.

Spain: Real Madrid. I first bought a Real shirt in March of 2004, when Madrid had their terrorist attack. I saw it as an act of solidarity. (I’ve had people tell me “well, you should support Atletico, then.” But the Real gear was easier to find.)

Germany: Bayern Munich. The team of Franz Beckenbauer, who was my favorite Cosmos player when I was a kid.

MLS: Red Bull New York. My local team, for better or worse — and it can’t get much worse than right now :(

National Team: USA. I feel no allegiance to the place my ancestors came from; while I enjoy watching teams like Brazil and Holland, I don’t root for them to win any particular game.

46. Paulinho says:

Favourite Players today: Cristiano Ronaldo, Fabregas

EPL – Manchester United – Fergie, Cantana, the departed Ronaldo….nuff said.

Portuguese Liga – FC Porto – Where I was born, the coming of Mourinho, Deco, Carvalho, Maniche etc. I also love Sporting Lisbon’s youth acadamy.

La Liga – Real Madrid – Entire family loves them so they grow on you when you have watch them since day one of your life haha. Ronaldo being there now helps.

Serie A – Juventus – Not for any big reason just that I think their fans are great.

National – Portugal – I am Portuguese, I love the players even though they’re goin through hard times right now. VIVA PORTUGAL!

47. Chris says:

EPL – Arsenal

MLS – Toronto FC

La Liga – Not really any team, but will cheer for Barcelona because of Messi and support them I guess by purchasing a Messi jersey.

Serie A – Again, not really any team but did follow AC Milan because of Kaka, and again purchased a Kaka jersey even though he is gone now.

National – Germany because I am of German decent, and Canada sometime because I’m Canadian

I really only support TFC and Arsenal but in a round about way support other teams by buying other teams gear because of the player and not so much as the team.

48. Mike says:

I am amazed how much comment is on here about Fever Pitch (the original and only). Didn’t know it was even heard of here in the States. Anyone picked up on Subbuteo because of it?

My teams:

EPL: Only team I root for at the moment is Liverpool, plus I like Villa and have a deep down ok-factor with West Ham as my ancestors are from there.
    Championship: QPR! This is my #1 team anywhere

Now defunct: Walthamstow Avenue, formerly of the Isthmian League, they were swallowed up by what has now become Dagenham & Redbridge, whom I despise with a passion. I watched the A’s play against teams like Wycombe Wanderers, Dulwich Hamlet, Enfield, Hendon, Tooting & Mitcham, Sutton, Leatherhead… ahh those were the days. They were the first game I ever saw live in person and they are the first thing I will spend millions on if I ever win the lottery – re-establishing the team in the town and taking them up the rankings like AFC Wimbledon, just with less of a dormant support.

Other teams:
    TSV 1860 Munich (BOOOO to Bayern!)
    BSC Young Boys Bern (only match I have ever seen on mainland Europe was at YB)

National team:
    England, and Northern Ireland, my birthplace and paternal ancestral teams respectively.

I don’t have an MLS team yet as I support Detroit pro teams and refuse to get involved with the Fire – who are just as far away to watch – with the expectation that a Detroit team will happen at some time. And that’s not anywhere near happening in today’s economical climate.

49. Kautzie says:

EPL: Arsenal- Been a diehard gooner since I read Fever Pitch after the 94 World Cup. Arsenal til the day I die!
    SPL: Celtic- Lots of reasons, mainly because I hate Rangers.
    Bundesliga: Stuttgart- it was Bayern Munich until they hired Klinsmann last year, can’t support a club with an ex-spud as manager even if they did sack him.
    Ligue 1- Lyon- been a fan since Essien was there.
    MLS: Toronto FC- Although I hate the league I love TFC because of their fanbase.
    Favorite Players: Bergkamp, Adams, Henry, Parlour, Ljungberg, Keown, Cesc, Mad Jens, Essien and Oliver Kahn.

Teams I hate: Sp*rs, Liverpool, Hull, Bolton, Rangers, Real Salt Lake, and the two most evil clubs on the planet AC Milan and Real Madrid.

50. Cam says:

Premier League: Manchester United, my Grandma bought me an Eric Cantona Shirt when I was 6…I’m now 23 and I still have the shirt, a little worn out but I will never let it go!
    Turkcell Super League: Fenerbahce S.K.
    La Liga: The obvious is Barca but I really rate Athletico Madrid as well
    Major League Soccer: None, If I had to choose it would probably be Galaxy purely because of Beckham…but it is still the most boring league, much like the American commentary, and I dont think I will ever watch a game.
    Serie A: I could never and will never support an Italian team…makes it easier to hate when they kicked my lads out of the last World Cup =(
    National teams: Australia, my birthplace and a team that is going from strength to strength. Watch out for us next year!! If not Australia then I’m gunning for the Poms

Teams I dislike: Chelsea (especially of the Mourinho era), any Italian team including the national team…bunch of cheats, Real Madrid and Man City, they are ruining football and making it all about the money.

51. Richard says:

PL: Arsenal

Football League: Watford (Jay DeMerit)

Ligue 1: Marseille

MLS: FC Dallas (Don’t really follow them but I used to work in the organization)

National: USA and once we go out I support France because Theirry Henry got me into the game.

52. Jon Dorsey says:

I played as a youth, just a little informal suburban league in and around Denver Colorado (we won the title in my last year!), but I drifted away from the game after that unfortunately. I was always meant to be a close follower of the beautiful game though, and flash forward to 2007, and the credit for getting me back in would go to an unusual place (or perhaps not so unusual): EA Sports. My best friend and I sat down in front of his old used Nintendo Gamecube (that’s right) one innocent afternoon, just bored and looking for something to play, and I noticed the equally used copy of FIFA 2002 he had. “Ever play this?” I asked. “Not really. What is that, soccer?” he replied.

(He had inherited a small pile of used games from a friend who sold him the Cube and some controllers, and thankfully, memory cards. He had never actually loaded up FIFA and tried it).

So we loaded it up, started the 2 default teams it gives you for a quick friendly, and kicked off. The teams? Manchester United and Arsenal of course. After some awkward moments getting our bearings and figuring out who we actually were controlling, we were rolling.

After a couple minutes I had broke through on his keeper and managed to slot it past Fabian Barthez with someone named Henry. I did it again a few minutes later with someone named Bergkamp. This was fun, I thought.

I know it was just a video game but there was some providence in those first few matches. A keen rivalry developed between us, and many seasons and manager modes and newer (thankfully!) versions of FIFA followed. He quickly became very attached to the Red Devils, and I became very attached to beating them as often as possible. The game had uncovered something about me buried deep down: I was meant to be a Gunner fan. No doubt about it.

Of course my experience of the game has gone way past video games, and I’m in my 3rd full season of being an Arsenal supporter, and follower of the world game in general. After getting into the real teams and the culture surrounding them, I have become a huge fan of the English game, and especially the philosophy Arsene Wenger uses to push his boys forward.

In an interesting twist, there is a local connection to the Gunners here in Colorado. The owner of my beloved Colorado Avalanche Hockey Club, (and the Colorado Rapids), Stan Kroenke, is a major shareholder of the storied London football club.

It’s destiny really. Go Broncos. Go Avs. And go Gunners!!!

Peace and love football fans,

~Jon from Denver

53. joey says:

i support- chelsea, swansea, napoli, st. pauli and wellington phoenix also f.c. dallas national teams are USA, wales and nz

54. UpTheBlues says:

EPL: Chelsea! #1 club forever.
    National Team: The Netherlands

Clubs I follow because I enjoy the league…
    La Liga: Atletico Madrid…(mainly an Aguero fan)
    Primera Division de Mexico: Cruz Azul (sorta random, but can watch them often here in the states)

55. Steven says:

Austria: Austria Wien
    Russia: Tom Tomsk
    Belgium: Royal Antwerp
    Someone forgotten? :-)

56. John says:

EPL: Arsenal
    MLS: None (I’m also waiting for Detroit to get a team)
    Ligue 1: Marseille
    National: France, USA (kinda), and I don’t mind the English and Dutch

57. Robert Staggers (aka Captain Spyro) says:

I’m still looking for a team or two to truly support like I do in the NHL (Ducks and Penguins).

EPL: Arsenal FC – I started with Liverpool, but only because I followed one of the owners (he bought into the NASCAR I supported, so I wanted to try out his other teams). I supported them for a while, but as the ownership issue turned to hell, my support came into question. The protests & such didn’t help. I also found that Liverpool is really a personal club, considering the tragic incidents that the club was involved in. You can’t just casually support a club like that. Arsenal attracted me for a variety of reasons including the focus on youth, Arsene Wenger, and the clubs financial stability. I like a club that cares about both it’s fans AND it’s finances.

EPL clubs I sympathize with: Liverpool, Manchester City (likeable fans, NOT United ^_^)

Championship: Nottingham Forest – Wanted a smaller club to cheer for so I can truly understand the game. Went with this team after looking into it more.

Bundesliga: Bayern Munich – Watched them during the Champions League final. Liked how they played, even though they lost. I like their philosophy and west from there.

La Liga: I don’t support, but I sympathize with Atletico Madrid. Granted seem like a joke half the time, but a little team with a ton of potential I believe.

MLS: Seattle Sounders – Followed the Red Bulls at first, but started following Seattle after seeing the fan atmosphere and the, at times, awesome football they play. Love to support them, but I can’t guarantee if I would remain a fan if Pittsburgh ever got a team (Penguins fan here!). A “close to hometown” MLS team would be great (and I won’t support the Union!).

USL-PDL: West Virginia Chaos – Closest thing to a hometown team we have here. Hopefully it remains in the coming seasons.

I’d rather not be accused of glory-hunting. I have my own philosophies from others, so if others accuse me as such, then oh well. Aside form friendlies it’s unlikely Seattle and Arsenal would meet in competition that much, if at all.

58. Nate says:

EPL: Bolton Wanderers! – Because Arsenal/Chelsea/ManU/Liverpool are glory-hound picks if you’re from the States, ManCity is like supporting the Yankees when you’re not from NYC, and Tottenham is oddly trendy in the U.S. right now. First EPL team I was introduced to.

Bundesliga: Bayern Munchen – my grandparents are from Munich, plus T. Muller is my favorite young player to watch.

MLS: Columbus Crew + anyone playing against Beckham/Galaxy.

Italian Serie A: Roma – only ’cause I visited.

Eredivisie: Ajax – who doesn’t love Amsterdam?

La Liga: Sevilla – first football club i was ever introduced to

National – Has to be U.S. (unfortunately), but I support Germany as well.