Paris (AFP) – Portugal, playing without embattled Cristiano Ronaldo, defeated Poland 3-2 in the Nations League on Thursday, shattering Robert Lewandowski’s celebrations of playing his 100th international.
European champions Portugal scored three times in 20 minutes in the Polish city of Chorzow through Andre Silva (32 minutes), a Kamil Glik own-goal (43) and a strike from Bernardo Silva (52).
Fernando Santos’s Portugal team now have two wins in two in the Nations League after also beating Italy 1-0 in September.
Prolific Genoa striker Krzysztof Piatek had given Poland a 19th-minute lead with Jakub Blaszczykowski cutting the deficit for the home side in the 77th minute.
In Podgorica, Serbia downed Montenegro 2-0 in the first meeting between the two former members of the old Yugoslavia.
Aleksandar Mitrovic scored both goals with an 18th-minute penalty followed by an 81st-minute effort.
Israel recovered from a goal down in Haifa to defeat Scotland 2-1.
Charlie Mulgrew put the Scots ahead with a 25th-minute penalty but midfielder Dor Peretz levelled for Israel in the 52nd minute.
Scotland were reduced to 10 men after an hour when defender John Souttar was sent off before Celtic’s Kieran Tierney turned a cross from Beram Kayal past his own goalkeeper Allan McGregor with 16 minutes remaining.
The result ended Scotland’s seven-match undefeated run in competitive outings stretching back to November 2016.
Kosovo beat Malta 3-1 for their second win in the competition.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV
- Where to find LAFC vs. DC United on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Manchester United on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona on US TV