Ivory Coast striker Gervinho has shaken off injury and could play a part on Saturday as Roma seek redemption for recent sins at home and in Europe with a morale-boosting win at Torino.
Gervinho had been on scintillating form for Rudi Garcia’s Serie A title challengers until he suffered a muscle injury playing against Liberia a fortnight ago that was expected to sideline him for three weeks. The injury was expected to keep Gervinho on the sidelines until after Roma’s decisive Champions League clash at home to BATE Borisov on Wednesday, but Garcia revealed Gervinho is “ready” a week earlier than anticipated and could play a role on Saturday when the Giallorossi bid to close their four-point gap on Serie A leaders Napoli.
“Gervinho is ready, as is (defender, Leandro) Castan,” Garcia told media on Friday. “We’re all ready apart from Maicon, who’s suspended, and the long-term absentees. We’re 100% focused on tomorrow’s game.”
Roma have finished runners-up to Juventus the past two seasons but this term Napoli, Fiorentina and Inter Milan have all underlined their title ambitions with promising starts to their respective campaigns. Napoli hold a one-point lead on Inter, with Fiorentina in third a point further adrift and Roma two points further back in fourth. Champions Juventus sit in fifth but will close their seven-point gap on Napoli to four points if they beat Lazio in the Italian capital later Friday.
Garcia’s men, meanwhile, have amends to make after a forgettable week at home and in Europe. Days after an embarrassing 6-1 Champions League defeat away to Barcelona, Roma were handed a 2-0 defeat by mid-table Atalanta. It prompted Garcia to order a squad lockdown from Thursday until Saturday, but the Frenchman says the players’ decision to have a meal together on Wednesday — their last opportunity to spend time with their families until Sunday — is testament to their commitment.
“It’s a very positive sign. The players decided to all go out for dinner together even in the knowledge we’d all be staying together the following day as part of our preparations,” said Garcia.
“That shows togetherness and it’s the only way to immediately start getting results again.”
Asked if Gervinho could last 90 minutes, Garcia said: “I’m just focused on tomorrow’s match. We have to give it our all in Turin, nothing else concerns me.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Get a Paramount+ one month free trial for a limited time
- Who should host the World Cup Final in 2026?
- Where to find Orlando Pride vs. Racing Louisville on US TV
- Ronaldo wants to leave Man United – reports
- Kylian Mbappé can shock the world again at World Cup 2022
- What is the best soccer stadium in the world?
- Where to find Santos vs. Flamengo on US TV
- Where to find Fluminense vs. Corinthians on US TV
- Romelu Lukaku homecoming provides opportunity at Inter Milan
- Wimbledon, Tour, cricket and rugby find Covid still in the air