Today the United States Men’s National Team has an opportunity to advance to the World Cup Round of 16 with a win against Portugal, but what do the other scenarios look like if the USA gets a draw or is unable to beat Portugal? What does the US need to do to make it into the next round if it can’t beat Portugal today.
As it stands in Group G, Germany is in the lead with 4 points, 6 goals, and 2 goals allowed. The United States is in second with 3 points, 2 goals, and 1 goal allowed. After drawing Germany yesterday, Ghana is currently is third with 1 point, 2 goals, and 4 goals allowed, while Portugal is last in the group with 0 points, 0 goals and 4 goals allowed. A defeat for Portugal today and the Iberian side will be out of the World Cup.
If the United States draws Portugal today, the USA will be tied with Germany for points. Before heading into today’s game, the US has a +1 goal difference, while Germany is +2.
With a draw against Portugal, the US would need a minimum of a draw against Germany to guarantee qualification to the Round of 16 of the World Cup.
However if Portugal defeats the US, the chances of the US qualifying for the next round become more worrisome. US would either have to beat Germany on Thursday. Or, if the US gets a draw against Germany, the US would have to hope that Portugal and Ghana would end in a tie for the US to advance. Or the US could advance on goal difference with a draw against Germany if Ghana beats Portugal.
If USA loses to Portugal and Germany, the USMNT would be out of the World Cup.
SEE MORE — Everything you need to know about the World Cup.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Will FOX broadcast the World Cup in 4K?
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights