Roberto Martinez Defends Callum McManaman, ‘He’s Not That Type Of Player’: The Nightly EPL
Roberto Martinez has defended Wigan footballer Callum McManaman for this tackle against Newcastle United’s Massadio Haidara.
Here’s what Martinez said in front of the BBC Sport cameras post match:
“If you see a lot of [McManaman], you’ll realize he’s not that type of player.”
“The referee was in a very good position, and I’m sure he saw him touching the ball. And from that point on, obviously, the injury is something you don’t want to see.”
Martinez added that McManaman wanted to show his enthusiasm in his first league debut for Wigan Athletic, but a footballer needed to control his enthusiasm. “It’s good experience. We’ll make sure he learns quickly from it,” added Martinez.
In fairness to Martinez, he admitted when the interview began that he hadn’t seen the foul on TV replay. Martinez also said that if Haidara got a bad injury, “We’ll make sure as a football club that we’ll contact the boy and apologize for that.”
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Roberto Martinez defends Callum McManaman tackle — BBC Sport
- The Times issues an apology to its readers for publishing fake story about DFL — The Times
- Benitez heaps praise on Frank Lampard who scored his 200th goal for Chelsea — BBC Sport
- Chelsea’s John Terry struck by coins during win over West Ham United — The Guardian
- Peter Odemwingie launches fresh Twitter attack on West Bromwich Albion — The Independent
- Does soccer threaten rugby in Wales? — Football Economy
- Comedian is accused of going on to football pitch and warming up with the Man City team — BBC Sport
- Lescott recalled to England squad as Michael Dawson & Aaron Lennon injured — The Independent
- Wales have been hit by the withdrawals of Joe Allen and Steve Morison to injury — Sky Sports
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.