Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012-13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012 13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

Southampton Football Club has unveiled their new home and away shirts for the 2012-13 season, in a season where we’ll see the Saints back in the top flight. Unfortunately, I hate Southampton’s new home shirt with a passion.

Reason being is that Southampton (and shirt makers Umbro) have completely changed the home shirt design, so it’s quite unlike the famous red and white stripes that Southampton are renowned for playing in. Out the window goes tradition, and in comes a shirt looking like something Nottingham Forest would wear.

In one move, Southampton has completely ruined an incredible opportunity to produce a beautifully designed shirt that Southampton supporters (and neutral fans) worldwide would enjoy. Instead, we get a plain red jersey with white pinstripes that completely lacks originality. The away jersey by Southampton looks better. It’s a completely reversal of the home shirt. Southampton’s away shirt is white with red pinstripes.

The travesty of Southampton and Umbro’s decision to launch this new home kit cannot go understated. Here are a few of the iconic Southampton jerseys from the past that remind you of how great this new design could have been:

Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012 13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012 13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012 13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with my opinions? Post your feedback in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Southampton. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Southampton Unveils Home Shirt For 2012-13 Season, And I Hate It [PHOTO]

1. Ian Thompson says:

While I do wish that we had the red & white stripes but I don’t completely hate the jersey itself. As a lifelong Saints fan I’ll be buying both jerseys. Don’t think that they’re as horrible as many fans are making them out to be, but the away kit does look better than the home. Not overly disappointed if I’m being honest

2. Norwegian Saint says:

A little bit harsh… Yes it is RED with a tiny bit of white… the away kit looks better… but one thing places us above other teams… the badge, what a work of art.
    Will buy the top on Sunday and wear it with pride!

3. Tom Probert says:

Three examples of past Saints kits which did not feature red and white stripes:

1: 1985/87 home shirt (Solid red with little white shoulder panels – no stripes).

2: 2010/11 home shirt (All white with a red sash)

3: 1980 home shirt, which is actually IN your article – a kind of reverse Ajax.

The point is that although we have settled on stripes for the past decade or so, Saints have a history of experimenting with different designs, with only red and white being a constant theme. There are only a certain amount of variations you can make on classic stripes so occasionally there will be a ‘refresher’ like this, then a return to normal stripes will seem like a refreshing change.

4. mike says:

I think the new jerseys/uniforms are awesome. I can understand people’s unhappiness with not having the traditional stripes (pinstripes are still stripes, btw), but I’m not married to them. I think the 10-11 sash and black away were the Saints best jerseys thus far, and these new ones are sharp as well. Considering most other new EPL team uniforms are really really horrendous, these are a sight for sore eyes. Also, why would you want your new design to be identical to the previous season’s?

Anyway, COYR! I can’t wait to actually be able to cath the Saints live on TV in the US. We don’t get many nPower games over here.

5. brn442 says:

I would have agree with Alex, Southampton missed a golden chance to re-brand (in the right sense) themselves on their return to the Premier League, plus – the shirt doesn’t look that interesting. Curious to see what colour the shorts will be…..

6. Ian Thompson says:

I loved the sash as well Mike, that jersey and the black away are some of my favorites that I own. Red shorts as white shorts, I’ll post a picture once I get home asy iPhone is being stubborn haha

7. mike says:

@brn442, The shorts are the same colors at the shirt. I love it.

8. Jesus_02 says:

1980′s saints shirt looks like a Saints shirt , this years affair does not. The Away kit looks more like a saints shirt, the complete absece of black on the home kit is also disapointing

9. Alex Wolcott says:

They’re not terrible – but I’d have added a full collar in white and maybe a white band on the end of the sleeves. I think that would make the sponsor logo look a little less dominant.

I wonder if they wanted to get away from looking too much like Sunderland. If it were me I’d have gone with that mid-80′s look from the centre photo in any event. Those were some nice kits!

And in any event it is good to see the Red and White Army back up where it belongs in top flight.

10. terry williams says:

ive been a season tkt holder for many years and that shirt is not a saints football shirt we wear red and white stripes what are southampton thinking of thats a leisure shirt WE WONT RED AND WHITE STRIPES

11. Norwegian Saint says:

Kind words Alex…. will you still be happy when we’re top after the first game? :-)
    Will take forth from bottom right now but think we will finish 4th from top! ;-)

• Alex Wolcott says:

Wouldn’t be happy that day, but I would definitely like to see the Saints stay up. That’s one of those clubs that just seems to belong in Top Flight and it is disconcerting to not see them in the table.

12. jacob hathorn says:

The reason they do not have the traditional red and white stripes is because both stoke city and sunderland have that same design. As of this they have chosen to have some originality instead of having three teams with the same kit. Personally i like it but i definitely prefer the away kit. Hopefully it will bring us a good season though

13. Collo says:

This is the 3rd shirt in 3years. What a rip off. I paid for my season ticket today. £575 an increase of over £100 from last year. But even worse I had to pay £1.50 extra for the privilege. I put my money up front for the season and I have to pay a booking fee. If I had to wait for more than 15 minutes I would have Had to pay another £1 for parking. Are saints the Ryanair of football?
    Money for the loos next!
    If we used our brains would we bother watching saints now?
    Thanks for letting me rant. Don’t buy the shirts stay in red and white!! We are red and white!!!

14. Warren says:

More importantly is how the heck you have got your hands on one? They are not on sale until Sunday!

15. London Saint says:

Got to say that this is the worst home shirt I can remember and has nothing to do with our traditions which as everyone knows is proper red & white stripes. In reply to previous posts: Agreed, looks more like a Forest kit than a Saints kit – Liverpool had one like this too back in the days of King Kenny as a player. And, plenty you can do with red & white stripes to keep it both traditional and interesting; for example it would have been easy to keep the traditional red & white bar stripes on this kit design, separate them with a black pin stripe and retain black shorts – problem solved, a traditional Saints kit with a fresh look for our return to the top flight. As for red home shorts – never in 126 years…. Still, could be worse, I pity the poor Cardiff fans – the new owners have switched their home kit from blue to red!

16. Dust says:

Looks like really very poor photoshop

17. Andy says:

Rubbish kit, lacks originality, outdated design, it’s as if someone wanted to get as far away from our historical links as possible.
    If the designers/club had any empathy with tradition and did not want stripes then they should have reverted to the sash, not this poor imitation of a Liverpool/ Forest effort.
    Just not Saints
    I won’t be buying one for me or my kids

18. Norwegian Saint says:

£40? £50? plus the badges on the arm, plus names on the back… not much change from £70! for ONE season!!! On another point… on the last home shirt after one or two washes the logo became pink… Think I may just buy the white one

19. Surly says:

The new home kit is a travesty from top to bottom. WE WEAR STRIPES.

The away kit is OK, but we traditionally have yellow and blue – presumably there’ll be a third kit as we can’t wear either of these against Stoke or Sunderland this year…

Incidentally, check out Crawley Town’s new home shirt – its like the Keegan era 80s Saints top…

20. Alan says:

Two words “hate it”. That’s £40 staying in my wallet.

21. Big Deuche says:

What a start to life back in the Premiership. Around 60% of fans hate the shirt we’ll play in. It was so obvious this would be the case. We are RED & WHITE STRIPES!! and whoever decided on changing that wan’t his arse kicked all the way to Fratton Park. Where a crap design would fit very nicely with the crap that play there.

22. Manandboy Saint says:

No stripes , no black, no heart ! What are the new boys doing ? Do they not do their research ? Lets keep the stripes on the terraces at least and not buy this “any team” shirt.

23. Couldn’t agree more.
    Years of tradition thrown out the window to make a few quid off the fans.
    I for one won’t shell out £42 for it.
    Lets keep St Marys red ‘N’ white.
    Away kit is not bad but I did love the black kit of 2010/11.
    Which looked very similar to Celtics new away kit.

24. Dm says:

Its a quality shirt. Outside of the Keegan big white stripe kits, its not like the club’s been swimming in beautiful design. The red and white striping was always more sheff utd to me.

25. Mufc77 says:

Living in the USA now for 18 years I havnt seen a Southampton match in god knows how long. I opened this article expecting to see the famous red & white stripes from the old days, what a shame they decided to change the top.

26. david buck says:

Unbelievable!!!!!! have been supporter since 1957 and red/white stripes have been tradition for the saints…….agree with supporters above that refuse to buy, wear the red and white on the terraces and make the changes…remember Man U in the grey? they changed it in a flash after we were leading at the dell!! if they wanted a pin stripe maybe they should have gone all the way…..red/white/black. I shall be logging on to ebay for another striped shirt to support in!!!! aaaaaaagh so frustrating.

27. Mike from canada says:

i first saw the kit and thought this has to be a joke. saints are known world-wide for their red and white stripes, and usually the black shorts. with this amazing opportunity to promote the club, with us back on the world stage, and we come out in that ! I have noticed over recent years many teams going to strips in all one prominant colour, and this is a good example of it. Does anyone know why this is happening.
    As a life long saints fan, watching from overseas, this kit is really disappointing, i don’t understand it.

28. Jackie Martins (Denmark) says:

I could not agree more. Perhaps if we change the shirt now results will improve??