FRI, 4:25PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
CRY
WHU
SAT, 10AM ET
SOU
WBA

gibson 2108383b Darron Gibsons Arrival at Everton Will Lift The Toffees For Remainder Of Season

If there was ever an award for a manager who can pick a bargain, look no further than a certain David Moyes. Having to overcome financial obligations in the transfer market year after year, Everton have always been widely seen by many as a top ten Premier League club, and one who has performed admirably over recent seasons.

David Moyes is a manager who has too take full credit, a man who knows how to deal well within his limitations, and always seems too get the best out of the resources available too him. A club known to act shrewdly in the transfer market, by picking up free transfer signings along with the help of loan signings, Everton always manage to get by, comfortably as the seasons go by. Look no further than the 2004/05 season, when Everton defied the odds by breaking into the formidable ‘Top four’ at the time. A miraculous achievement, by a team who certainly know how to utilize their maximum potential.

Their Latest acquisition in Darron Gibson, is another who falls into the baragin basket, with the Republic of Ireland International signing for less than £2 million, as his contract was set to run out at the end of the current season with United. Everton have been no strangers to this years January transfer window, as Moyes completed the loan signing of U.S International Forward, Landon Donovan last week. Besides the possible addition of another striker, I don’t see Everton having the funds available too seriously add again in this window.

Gibson Impact

Gibson was a little unlucky to have not cemented a more permanent position at Old Trafford, as his impressive displays have seen him score some wonderful long-range goals that have Everton fans will no doubt be hoping to see. While it is not widely obvious Everton are lacking strength in the middle park, (with rising stars such as Jack Rodwell and Ross Barkley coming through the ranks), Darron Gibson will prove to be a valued addition to a goal-shy Everton side as we approach the run-in and second half of the season. Known for his intent to get forward, Gibson is very much a player who likes to get in the mix, and without doubt has an eye for a strike from outside the box. It could prove vital to provide Tim Cahill with some competition for the role, with another option of Phil Neville also returning to a full-back position to make way for a keen to play, Gibson. Everton have certainly acquired a player determined to prove his worth, with the Irish International also hoping to impress an ever-watching Giovanni Trappatoni, ahead of the managers’ Euro 2012 squad selection. Everton’s intent to committing him to a long-term contract, also shows their belief that they may well have a real player on their hands. Gibson joins fellow ex Manchester United players such as Neville and Louis Saha, as he hopes too prove that there is indeed life after Old Trafford after all.

Season Expectations

Currently lying in a respectable mid-table position of 11th, Everton will certainly be looking to push on this season and get as close to a European spot as possible. Whilst they realistically seem unlikely to break into the formidable ‘Top 6’, Moyes will be looking for his side to display what is usually a strong Everton finish to the season. Whilst their pre-season transfer kitty was next to nothing, I still feel Everton failed to replace the departing menace of strikers Yakubu and Jermaine Beckford. A lack of firepower up top has left them losing games they should be drawing, and drawing games they should be winning. Some of the positives David Moyes can take from the season thus far, is the emergence of young talent Ross Barkley, who in my opinion is a future England international. This guy is the new Frank Lampard for me, and it will be interesting to see how much of a role he plays when he gets back from injury. Everton have always been known for producing good young players, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see players such as Duffy and Velios be next in line for a first-team role.  My Prediction for the season: 8th place

This entry was posted in Everton, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Darron Gibson’s Arrival at Everton Will Lift The Toffees For Remainder Of Season

1. FootballTalk says:

What a signing by a team that lacks any kind of financial benefit.. Gibson is a very hungry player who hasn’t played as much as he should. I think Moyes has pulled off a good one here for sure.

2. Evan says:

If Gibson is the answer I don’t want to know what the question was.

3. Jason Scott says:

I actually think Gibson will be a good signing, with Cahill struggling for goals, Gibson will either score goals himself or create for Cahill and Saha.

4. RBP says:

It’s a decent signing, nothing more really. What I’m worried about is the end of the window. The banks they owe made them sell last time which is why Arteta was sold at the last second. There was never any intent to reinvest that money to the club as Moyes has recently confirmed that. Funny enough, their board threatened legal action after a local newspaper tried the same. Not only won’t I be surprised, I’ll expect them to sell Rodwell or Fellaini at the end of the month. It’s a travesty but that’s where they’re at now. COYB

• Interesting response from an obvious well educated fan. I can see both having interest in them, however wasn’t there talks of contract negotiations between both parties? Rodwell still has a lot too prove for me.

• RBP says:

First, my comment was supposed to say “Funny enough, their board threatened legal action after a local newspaper tried *to say* the same.” Whoops.

I’m not sure I’m understanding what you’re asking, I’ll try and answer anyways though. Fellaini did actually sign a 5 year contract in November, but he’s a young, quality player and 5 years of him would be quite valuable to the right club. Rodwell signed a 5 year deal about 2 years ago or so. I’d agree he still has much to prove, but the potential is definitely there, and it’s not a stretch to say his status as being on the England squad raises his value. Gibson makes a very cheap replacement for either.

Arteta was said to have put in a transfer request in the last few hours of the window, but the common belief among fans that I’ve spoken with is that they sent him to a team in the Champions League and in return they got to say he put in a request to save face. Probably a cynical, borderline conspiracy view on things, but hey, that’s what the board is turning is into.

5. Tommy says:

I think the Gibson signing is great value for money. However that’s all it is, he has a nice long shot on him but is otherwise an average epl player. Everton have no money again and were badly in need of a holding midfielder, they’ve been playing Cahill there. Moyes pulls off another clutch signing though that’s for aure

6. Value is exactly what Moyes has achieved here, more than anything. What makes him a more than ‘average’ EPL player, is the room for his undoubted potential. We are talking about a player, virtually un-proven at first-team level as he has only ever had a handful of EPL starts while with Manchester United. He is therefore an interesting prospect, as the games he has featured in, he has impressed for me. He is very comfortable at International level also, for a player who is still only 24 years old.

7. Chris says:

How do you guys feel about how soccer is presented and analyzed on TV? I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I have created a video that I believe you will find very valuable. You won’t look at a soccer game on TV the same way again, whether or are a soccer fan, or a hater!

My theory is based on a study of how we watch soccer, and the differences in the viewing experience provided by soccer vs. the “big 3″ sports.

I feel that the analysis in this video holds the key for what is needed in order for soccer in America to take the next step.

Please take a few minutes to check it out, I assure you it will be well worth it.

8. Tom Hingley says:

This article is hilarious. Gibson is an awful player and belongs in the category of Man Utd youngsters who will drop like a stone now he has left Utd.

9. Thomas says:

I think Gibson has shown flashes at Utd. I don’t think he’s going to come in and totally change Everton’s fortunes. But I’m sure he’ll be rather effective.

Got to respect Moyes and what he’s done at Everton.

Getting Donovan on loan, adding Gibson…Drenthe was an astoute signing..he’s done a lot with very little.

10. scrumper says:

Does anybody really know if Everton has any ambition? Unless you’re a scouser of the red persuasion I can’t believe anyone pays them the slightest bit of notice. David Moyes seems a nice enough fellow as everybody likes to point out, never upsetting anybody at press conferences and busily looking for every knock off player available. But they seem quite happily dug in at mid table, content to thwart the opposition by herding around their penalty area like wildebeest until one brave soul forgetting his station in life gallops out from the pack to knock in the odd goal. More often than not he quickly finds himself transfer listed.

What happened to the multi million Fellaini with the barn fire hair do and at 6’ 10” or something and now he can’t head a ball. Then there’s the Russian Bilyaletdinov whose transfer fee was equal to about a million a letter and he hardly gets a game. He seemed to do okay last season, even earning the Everton goal of the year award against their benefactor Man U, but Moyes has resigned him to the subs bench this season and quite understandably he wants out. And the ever busy and consistent Leighton Baines who seemed quite skilful and heading for a regular England squad call up now looks like a dog who’s been put on a leash and aimlessly running in circles.

Now we have the arrival of Gibson. A halfway decent player even if he was a bit erratic at Old Trafford. I expect him to run all over the park for a few games then have the reins pulled in and end up shunting between the Everton penalty area and halfway line. Any more than that he’ll be considered adventurous and made available for sale. I expect he’ll be involved in a loan swap with Millwall next season.

11. Mac says:

Gibson is just another overhyped British player. Just an average player. To be fair at least the blue half of Liverpool didn’t overpay like their red neighbors.