While Barcelona looked to solve its biggest foe over the last several years, the game had significance for another reason.
Bayern beats Barca in Lewandowski’s return
Bayern Munich spoiled Robert Lewandowski’s return to Bavaria on Tuesday. The superstar striker played eight seasons with the German club, but transferred to Barcelona this summer. Bayern kept Lewandowski quiet and beat Barca 2-0 on the night.
While the visitors somewhat dominated the German giants in the first half, Bayern scored twice in four minutes during the second half to win the match. Lucas Hernandez scored a header from a corner to open the scoring. Leroy Sane finished off Barca with a great run and clever finish to double Bayern’s lead.
LEROY SANE 💥
BAYERN WITH TWO GOALS IN FOUR MINUTES OVER BARCELONA 👀 pic.twitter.com/J7VIbZTByf
— CBS Sports Golazo ⚽️ (@CBSSportsGolazo) September 13, 2022
Lewandowski had opportunities to score, but could not capitalize on his chances.
Liverpool back to winning ways
Liverpool bounced back after an embarrassing performance against Napoli last week. The Reds needed a late goal from Joel Matip to take the three points in Group A. Mohamed Salah scored his first goal in five matches to give Liverpool the lead early in the game. Ajax, however, did respond by leveling the scoreline just 10 minutes later.
Mohammed Kudus hit a thunderous strike into the top corner to make it 1-1. It was the Ghanian’s fifth goal in four matches for Ajax. The game stayed level until Matip scored a header in the 89th minute of the game. Although the ball did not hit the back of the net, the referee’s watch buzzed, signaling a goal was scored. Replays showed the ball crossed the goal line with room to spare. It was Liverpool’s first win in two weeks.
Sporting leave it late against Spurs
Tottenham Hotspur, however, lost their first match of the current campaign. Spurs sputtered in Portugal losing the match 2-0 thanks to two late goals by Sporting. Goalkeeper Hugo Lloris thought he had earned Spurs a point on the road after a sprawling save in the 89th minute of the match. Sporting, however, had other ideas.
Paulinho scored just seconds after the Lloris save and resulting corner kick. With the win essentially in the bag, Sporting added another goal just two minutes later. Arthur Gomes, who had just been subbed into the match, made a mazy run through the Spurs defense and slotted home to make no mistake about the result. The win was Sporting’s first against an English side in a decade.
PHOTO: IMAGO / Revierfoto
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Chicago Red Stars vs. Angel City FC on US TV
- Where to find Portland Timbers vs. LAFC on US TV
- Where to find Man City vs. Man United on US TV
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights
- Gareth Bale debuts own craft beer ahead of World Cup