FC Barcelona has released their new 2022/23 away kit, and they’re truly “going for gold” with this design.
Like the 2022/23 Home Kit, the away is being promoted with the tagline “The Flame Lives On”. Both shirts celebrate the 30th anniversary of the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and their impact on the city. But the away design definitely directly references the Olympics whereas the home featured only subtle design cues.
Reviewing the Barcelona 2022/23 away kit
The full strip is in Olympic gold, with a textured topographical map / street plan of the city of Barcelona overlaid throughout the entire uniform. The club badge, Nike swoosh, and sponsor logos are all rendered in navy blue. The single color application a good choice here as it lets the gold shine through.
The best bit of this design is the sleeve trim. Each cuff has five stripes in red, green, black, yellow and blue representing the five Olympic rings. The five colors on the sleeve adds a nice splash of color without being too noisy.
The map of the city is woven into the shirt using a slightly metallic thread. This gives it a shimmering effect under certain lighting, which is perfect for a shirt that is supposed to evoke a gold medal. The texture is just subtle enough so as to not be distracting or tacky. The sleeves and shorts pattern is more of the topographical map of the surrounding hills and natural environment which is a nice transition.
A perfect execution of the theme, with great details. There references aren’t too over-the-top, but also not so obscure as to seem like something they came up with after the fact. In addition to being a nice standalone design, this is a good counterpoint to the standard(ish) 2022/23 blue and burgundy home shirt. Play the Catalonia national anthem because this really is a gold medal performance.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp
- Surprise date-change overshadows World Cup 100-day countdown
- Qatar’s ground control on alert for World Cup disasters
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV
- Tottenham’s Premier League title credentials face Chelsea test
- Removing ‘camouflage,’ Brazil football referee comes out
- Wolfsburg’s Kovac returns to Bayern Munich with a point to prove
- Berlusconi’s Monza aiming high ahead of debut Serie A campaign
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar