Monaco (AFP) – Monaco’s Aurelien Tchouameni said the monkey chants and death threats he suffered in a Champions League match in the Czech Republic will “not get to my head” but they “should not remain unpunished”.
The French Under-21 international scored his team’s opening goal in a 2-0 at at Sparta Prague on Tuesday.
However, his strike was greeted immediately by an ugly chorus of monkey chants and abuse.
Referee Michael Oliver stopped the game while a message was broadcast on the public address system and posted on the Letna Stadium screen warning that any further racist abuse would lead to the game being halted.
“I celebrated my goal, the same way as usual, while monkey noises were thrown around me,” Tchouameni wrote in English on his Instagram account.
“The hateful messages and the death threats I received won’t get to my head. I won’t let hate win this game.
“That being said, what happened yesterday shall not remain unpunished. And we know the drill. There will be a buzz for one or two days and then we will move on until the next one.
“Taking a stand against racism is easy. Taking actions is something else.”
Tchouameni pleaded with UEFA to take tougher action against the racists, including consulting players who have been abused in the formulation of protocols.
“Also, why can we stop a game for five minutes to check if a player was offside by an inch and we can’t do the same for the racist chants in the stadium?”
“I am Aurelien Tchouameni and I am proud of my roots. No one will take that from me.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache