Milan (AFP) – Under-fire Juventus centre-back Leonardo Bonucci said Wednesday he had been “too hasty” when blaming young teammate Moise Kean for being partly responsible for racist insults hurled at him in a Serie A game at Cagliari.
“After 24 hours I want to clarify my feelings,” said Bonucci, 31, on Instagram.
“Yesterday (Tuesday), I was interviewed right at the end of the game, and my words have been clearly misunderstood, probably because I was too hasty in the way I expressed my thoughts.
“Hours and years wouldn’t be enough to talk about this topic.
“I firmly condemn all forms of racism and discrimination. The abuses are not acceptable at all and this must not be misunderstood.”
Kean, along with his French teammate Blaise Matuidi and Brazilian Alex Sandro, were targeted by monkey noises and jeers throughout the match in Sardinia.
But they increased in intensity after 19-year-old Kean scored the second goal in a 2-0 win.
The Italian international celebrated with his hands outstretched in front of the Cagliari fans, taking to Instagram later to say his actions were “the best way to respond to racism”.
But Bonucci had said after the game that Kean should not have provoked the home supporters and claimed his teammate was partly to blame.
“I think the blame is 50-50, because Moise shouldn’t have done that and the Curva (Cagliari fans) should not have reacted that way,” said Bonucci.
“We are professionals, we have to set the example and not provoke anyone.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Spurs new-boy Richarlison banned after flare celebration
- World Soccer Talk acquired by Playmaker
- PSG set to appoint Galtier as Pochettino departs
- Tottenham’s Son Heung-min says he faced racism as teen in Germany
- Where to find Boca Juniors vs. Corinthians on US TV
- England under pressure to make home advantage count at Euro 2022
- US, Jamaica women win in World Cup, Olympic qualifying event
- Ronaldo’s power play puts pressure on Ten Hag
- Galtier appointed PSG coach on two-year deal: sources
- Veteran Quagliarella extends Samp stay to 2023