Athens (AFP) – Olympiakos were confirmed Greek champions on Monday after the Super League overwhelmingly voted in favour of them keeping the title.
It came hours after the Greek football federation rejected an appeal by second-place PAOK, who wanted the Piraeus club to be docked six points for fan violence during last month’s Greek Cup semi-final first leg against AEK Athens.
Had the decision gone PAOK’s way they would have been declared Super League champions because the season ended last week with Olympiakos six points in front but with PAOK having a better head-to-head record.
The appeal committee of the federation on Monday also reduced an earlier punishment for Olympiakos, cutting a 150,000-euro ($164,000) fine to 95,000 euros and just one home match next season behind closed doors instead of four.
On Sunday Olympiakos celebrated a 44th and seventh straight league title before thousands of their supporters at home.
At the ceremony Olympiakos owner Evangelos Marinakis said that his team is “above all, even if I buy 10 Nottingham Forest teams”.
Marinakis said that “an announcement will be made soon” on his rumoured purchase of the English side.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Managers warn over pitch invasions as police probe Vieira incident
- Losing to Lyon made us better, says Barca’s Bonmati
- World Soccer Talk adds national team schedules and new features
- PSG coach Pochettino in the dark over Mbappe future
- Women’s Euro 2022 on ESPN to air across TV and streaming
- Borussia Dortmund part ways with coach Marco Rose
- Klopp confirms ‘Liverpool legend’ Origi is leaving Anfield
- UK police probe Vieira pitch ‘altercation’ at Everton match
- Tuchel hails Chelsea ‘miracle’ after Kante injury issues
- Dutch striker Miedema signs new deal at Arsenal