London (AFP) – Antonio Conte insists Chelsea defender John Terry won’t be allowed to leave the Premier League leaders during the January transfer window.
Terry has been unable to nail down a first team place since returning from injury and the Chelsea captain was linked with a temporary move to Bournemouth this week after Blues defender Nathan Ake was recalled from his own loan spell at Dean Court.
The 36-year-old is potentially in the final months of his career-long association with Chelsea, for whom he has made more than 700 appearances since making his debut more than 18 years ago.
But Chelsea boss Conte is adamant Terry, who is suspended for Saturday’s trip to Premier League champions Leicester, is still too important to be let go while his team are in the midst of the title challenge.
“John is an important player for me, if he plays or he doesn’t play,” Conte told reporters on Friday.
“This squad needs him. He’s a great player, but also a great man and for me it’s fantastic to have a person like him to help me in my first season at Chelsea.
“For this reason, I repeat, John stays with us, is our player, is in my squad. And when I see the situation and I want and he deserves to play, he’ll play.”
As well as keeping Terry in the squad, Conte hopes the return of Ake, who can play in central defence, in midfield or left wing-back, will be like having a new signing.
“We ‘bought’ Ake,” Conte added. “His situation makes me more calm, also in the market, in January.
“When you have a player who can play different roles, it’s good for me.
“The first impressions are a lot of positives. This player has a good personality, he’s mature to stay with us.
“It’s not a gift. I don’t like to gift someone. He deserves to come back to Chelsea.”
Chelsea return to Premier League action on Saturday for the first time since Tottenham ended their 13-game winning run 10 days ago.
Conte’s side are five points clear at the top of the table entering this weekend’s fixtures, while Leicester are 15th, six points clear of the relegation zone.
Asked about Leicester’s struggles, Conte, on Friday voted the Premier League’s manager of the month for December, said: “I’m not surprised because this league is very tough.
“For sure I consider Leicester a really good team, with good players. A good mix. They have a great manager. But it can happen, this, in this league..
“The Leicester game is very important. It’s important for us to restart, to restart to win.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold
- Son Heung-min’s ‘joyous’ Golden Boot hailed by S.Korea president
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies